Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times

Advertisements

Ok. i know its a day after halloween but i spent my halloween on the road, and so today i am going to pretend its yesterday. bear with me.
anyway, i did a fair amount of driving and it occurred to me, as it has in the past, that the mojave desert is a pretty spooky place. that stretch between needles and victorville especially. needles in general seemed a weird place- even in october when it isn't hot as a mother. one could be forgiven out there if you felt like you were on another planet. i lived in Joshua Tree for a year and that place is fantastic. but getting out beyond the reach of "services" can be a creepy thing.

anyway, i love hearing people's stories and i would love to hear about anyone's spooky encounters in the mojave. stories of auto breakdowns, or weird happenings, or just moments driving out there that gave you the willies. any thing and everything. Hit me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i did a fair amount of driving and it occurred to me, as it has in the past, that the mojave desert is a pretty spooky place. that stretch between needles and victorville especially.
Funny, I have the opposite feeling, and enjoy the desert solitude and seek it out. At least two or three times a year drive from Orange County to Laughlin, and will often take the back door route for this reason. Will take the 29 Palms Highway, 62, and then into the desert. The area around Amboy is very remote, and actually frightens some people and makes them uneasy, I enjoy it. After hitting Amboy, will just stay on old historic Route 66 until it runs into I-40 instead of going north to hit it on Kelebaker Road. Have been this route in August when my car thermometer read 117. Do not own a cell phone, yet have no fear or hesitation in driving remote roads.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
The creepiest thing that happens in the Mojave desert is when idiots drive off down dirt roads without water; then breakdown and die of thirst. It's amazing that this still happens even with cell phones.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Funny, I have the opposite feeling, and enjoy the desert solitude and seek it out. ... The area around Amboy is very remote, and actually frightens some people and makes them uneasy, I enjoy it. After hitting Amboy, will just stay on old historic Route 66 until it runs into I-40 instead of going north to hit it on Kelebaker Road. Have been this route in August when my car thermometer read 117. Do not own a cell phone, yet have no fear or hesitation in driving remote roads.
I spent a week one time exploring and camping in the Mojave Preserve. I really love the solitude and scenery, but it's particularly great if I can find a camping spot away from other campers (there are plenty). The solitude at night is amazing!

One thing about camping like this, you get used to independent existence away from services and you learn to depend on yourself. It's a little spooky at first but I got used to it years ago.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:52 PM

55 posts, read 126,723 times
I find it really awesome. I feel like I should be driving it alone on a Harley at noon or something cliche. It's really a perfect start to a road trip to Vegas too. I would have to agree that it is kind of scary, but it should be, with out common sense you could die very easily. All of the popped tires along the road doesn't exactly instill confidence either.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
no, no, don't get me wrong, like i said i lived in joshua tree for a year (also love amboy- ROY's DINER!!!!!) so i do love the desert, and i even love being spooked out. actually really genuinely seek it out. i belong to a paranormal group. it just occurred to me when i was out there again that it was a very mysterious place- somewhat almost unknowable by us regular humans who need to drink a certain amount of water everyday to survive. it makes you realize we can never tame nature (and only idiots would want to anyway)....but i digress....

its just the open space, at night, those huge skies- it just seems so perfect for spooky happenings.
and yes, it is amazingly stupid that people don't take simple precautions. on that road leading to twentynine palms, 62, right at the peak coming out of morongo valley there were ALWAYS cars pulled over overheating. some people don't even check their oil!
i am a chick so i do feel maybe a little more circumspect than my guy friends at times about exploring but that being said i have camped out for weeks at a time alone, driven cross country alone, etc- but i do feel i have my limits. : )

Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,678 times
One evening while my cousin Gage and I*was driving back from Peris California we made a stop on the corner turning into Amboy. We just stepped outside to take a leak and noticed that the sky was so lit up with stars that we couldn't see that at home. Then I said we're so far away from people that we could get killed and no one would hear us screaming for help.

* Once we both realized that we started to head back to the van. As soon as we sat down and the doors shut directly behind us a set of head lights popped up. We both was terrified because there's no one out here and now there's been a truck parked behind us.

Gage threw that van in drive and gunned out of there like a bat out of hell or shall I say a man running for his life. We had those headlights become smaller in the review mirror so once we got done flipping out about that we calmed down.

Out of no where a set of head lights popped up behind. It had to been the same truck right? It turned out to be a big ol truck black and tinnted windows and it drove past us. Gage and I was dead silent holding whatever screw driver and shanks to protect us.

Gage slowed down to allow the truck to get some distance between us. We both was convinced that that man was a killer and he was stalking his prey. So we stayed wide awake looking for any chance that a truck may pop out and ram us off the road.

We made it home safe and sound. That night seemed as if my cousin and I was truly living a scene from a horror movie.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Creepy sound track for Mojave misadventures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szDzivdHSAc

Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 AM

On up The 15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJLYixrJ7CE

Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Chasing them Little Green Men on out The 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA4IGhVYumo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles