Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,015,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
One other thing to ask about when renting is whether or not the refrigerator comes with the rental; it's not always a given, and you don't want to show up on move-in day to discover there's an empty spot where the refrigerator should go. (native Californians never seem to find that odd, but it was new to us!)
Great advice here. How do you think I felt when I started looking at rentals outside of CA and found they all had fridges? (answer: like I won the lottery! ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 AM

20 posts, read 28,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Great advice here. How do you think I felt when I started looking at rentals outside of CA and found they all had fridges? (answer: like I won the lottery! ).
This is hilarious to me! Why is it like that? Like, you kind of NEED a fridge in your place! I don't get it....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky55 View Post
This is hilarious to me! Why is it like that? Like, you kind of NEED a fridge in your place! I don't get it....
I don't get it either. It's a CA custom I think, B.Y.O.F.

I spent six months in an apartment in CA without a fridge. If I wanted to eat some leftovers in the morning, I'd just leave it in a cupboard. It was terrible. But so was the thought of carrying a fridge up two flights of stairs.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,039,147 times
You couldn't carry a little bar fridge up two flights? Girl.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You couldn't carry a little bar fridge up two flights? Girl.
I guess getting a bar fridge never crossed my mind.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't get it either. It's a CA custom I think, B.Y.O.F.

I spent six months in an apartment in CA without a fridge. If I wanted to eat some leftovers in the morning, I'd just leave it in a cupboard. It was terrible. But so was the thought of carrying a fridge up two flights of stairs.
haha! BYOF! Love it!

I have a big double door fridge and 2 mini-fridges.. so I think I'll be good.... just still kinda in awe that fridges don't come with an apartment!

and... HOW DID YOU GO 6 MONTHS without one!?! No way!!

btw -- still trying to get the good neighborhoods sorted out... can't wait to get out there for a week and drive around!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM

8,379 posts, read 13,532,991 times
(Between I-405 and Pacific Ocean)
Preferred address should be:
East of Redondo Avenue.

You could go as west as Alamitos Ave/Orange Ave but as long as the cross street is like 3rd Street/Broadway or closer to the Ocean. I do not recommend going any further north (inland) if the place is west of Redondo ave.

Belmont Shore is the Ritz area where you two might visit on the weekends to keep you motivated for a better life (2nd street) but there is quite a bit of plastic vibe there so I am not sure if a couple from Iowa could take it?

Belmont Heights/Circle area is where I live, still very nice/safe yet a lot more affordable. I believe you would like it if you can find a place that you can afford. As you go further north/west or west, rents will likely to become more affordable. When you find an address, use Google map to get a street view to get an idea but let me warn you, the area might look a lot nicer/cleaner/safer than it actually is so stick with the rough statement I made at the beginning.
That said, even though LB has a lot of pockets, I do not think even the not-so-desirable areas are all that bad. You life will not be in danger but your car might get broken into or some minor crap like that hence my next suggestion, find a place with covered/secure garage or parking spot. Stay away from street parking if you can help it. the person showing you the place might tell you there is ample parking space and it may seem that way on a weed day but come the evening/weekend/holidays, you could regret not listening to me!

Finding a place within your price range with a big dog like that is definitely going to be the biggest challenge for your guys. Perhaps you should consider a standalone apartment/condo further into Lakewood area. I have seen quite a few single/two bedroom units that are either detached or attached like 2-unit condos on Bellflower Blvd. between Willow and Carson.
They are older building but decent looking, also have nice yards and they might be more large pet friendly. Something to consider. You can find them on Craig's List.

Good luck!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Belmont Shore is the Ritz area where you two might visit on the weekends to keep you motivated for a better life (2nd street) but there is quite a bit of plastic vibe there so I am not sure if a couple from Iowa could take it?
this is funny. we are VERY laid back people..and I dont get the whole "ritz" way of thinking.. yes, you clearly have money, but I could care less if your shirt was $800 or $5! haha! We just want a place that is in a "decent" area (so I'm not scared walking to my car) and fairly nice inside.. I dont want ot have to call the repair man every week because something is broken or leaking! We aren't picky and we are coming out for school and to enjoy a different part of the world! I'm pretty excited to see a different way of life and living and actually get used to some different culture and NOT follow a combine or tractor down the road! I'm sooo ready to deal with traffic, as long as the roads aren't lined with corn feilds and everyone I see is white! haha! (I live in a town of 15,000 and grew up in a town of 600)... SO ready for the city life!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky55 View Post

and... HOW DID YOU GO 6 MONTHS without one!?! No way!!
I worked at two different Denny's and commuted 1/2 hour to each one (), so I wasn't home much. I ate at work and lived on AM/PM food (a gas station), and went out to eat a lot. O' those were the days.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,039,147 times
And in between those times you spent a lot of time on the toilet with the results of eating food that had been sitting in the cupboard all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles