Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM

36 posts, read 52,882 times

Advertisements

I've seen many posts regarding how to make it in the entertainment industry as talent, but so far, I've not seen anything regarding breaking in on the production (behind-the-scenes) side of it. Do any of you know any effective ways to break into Hollywood or at least the LA scene via Filmmaking or Digital Cinematography?

BTW, I'm from Texas, and it's a different ball game where I come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,627,093 times
You have to apply and start at the bottom regardless of experience.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Go to a film school. University of Southern California has a great film/acting program. Highly regarded in LA. You can learn film production and acting.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You have to apply and start at the bottom regardless of experience.
That's cool; and I'm assuming that when you say apply, you mean like APPLYING for a job. The reason I ask is because it's far from that easy/hard where I'm from. Down here, if you know somebody that does it, they just include you in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Go to a film school. University of Southern California has a great film/acting program. Highly regarded in LA. You can learn film production and acting.
I'm already in school down here studying cinematography, but we're no where near as highly touted as a USC or UCLA. Plus I've heard about some more affordable schools out there.
I was coming from the standpoint of I know how to do film, just how do I include myself in the conversations? Know what I mean...

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_Jones View Post
That's cool; and I'm assuming that when you say apply, you mean like APPLYING for a job. The reason I ask is because it's far from that easy/hard where I'm from. Down here, if you know somebody that does it, they just include you in it.

I'm already in school down here studying cinematography, but we're no where near as highly touted as a USC or UCLA. Plus I've heard about some more affordable schools out there.
I was coming from the standpoint of I know how to do film, just how do I include myself in the conversations? Know what I mean...
Oh you mean networking? Because that is how most people get industry jobs in LA. It's all about networking. You have to know somebody who knows somebody to get in higher places within the film industry. If you have a friend or acquaintance that is connected one or another to either directors, producers, actors, etc, I suggest you get on the ball and start networking as much as you can. Build your profile while you are in your school at the same time so at least you have some knowledge and credits under your belt.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Oh you mean networking? Because that is how most people get industry jobs in LA. It's all about networking. You have to know somebody who knows somebody to get in higher places within the film industry. If you have a friend or acquaintance that is connected one or another to either directors, producers, actors, etc, I suggest you get on the ball and start networking as much as you can. Build your profile while you are in your school at the same time so at least you have some knowledge and credits under your belt.
Okay, that really sounds consistent with what I'm hearing a lot. I was curious because I see that it is much different for the actor as opposed to the behind-the-scenes guys. Thanks mucho; I do have a few connects and am looking forward to the change of scenery.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM

301 posts, read 804,846 times
Check out this blog.

The Anonymous Production Assistant’s Blog | A view of Hollywood from the bottom.

It might give you a few tips.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,282 times
Learn how to make good coffee.
Inturn and inturn again until someone gets to know you.
Always be the fun guy in the office even if you need drugs to do it!!

Last edited by impala666; 10-08-2010 at 04:31 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,884 times
If there is some secret how to get in this industry they I would know this as well.

But I don't think that this is possible by following by some simple rules.

It really depends on case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles