Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 PM

22 posts, read 40,847 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Indiana and am planning on applying to colleges in California or New York. I have always wanted to move to LA but I hear all these negative things about it so I thought I would ask people that live there. Do you enjoy living in LA? Do crimes happen a lot? How are the unemployment rates? With my financial aids and student loans, I should be able to get an apartment or house for $1200 a month at the least, will I be able to? I'm not sure how much places are down there. Also, are the people friendly down there? I will be moving by myself so I really want someplace where it easy to meet new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 AM

364 posts, read 991,601 times
Answers to your questions:

1) Yes, many people, including myself, enjoy living in L.A. If we didn't, we wouldn't be living here.
2) There is crime here. It's the second largest city in the nation. However, I've lived here since I was a kid and the only crime I experienced was that someone stole my bike. And that was back when I was in the 3rd grade.
3) The unemployment rate is awful. It's one of the highest in the nation. And probably will be for the next couple of years.
4) What part of town are you looking to move to? $1200 in one part of town will be different from another part. Narrow down to what part of town you want to live in for a better assessment.
5) L.A. is one of the hardest places to meet new people. But since you're going to school, you should have no problem meeting new people.

L.A. is a large city with many of the problems you would expect in such an urban environment. It's been my experience that many who bash L.A. expected it to be a shangri-la to better their ho-hum lives. And they are sorely disappointed when their ho-hum loves continued. Just accept L.A. for what it is and you will enjoy your time here.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
You probably need to be a little more spacefic and where, in Los Angeles you are thinking of applying to and what kind of grants etc you have recieved? I am assuming you know exactly what you will be getting in grant money. I do find this a little surprising, but hope you know what you are talking about.

$1200 a month is a lot of money for any college kid for housing alone, regardless of what kind of funds you have.

The economy is lousy, so don't expect to get much in the way of employment of any kind. There are 1000s of college kids trying to work part time.

Los Angeles may not be all that friendly, but binng involved in college life will certainly help you.

The crime is what you would expect in most huge cities, it is there, but if you watch your back side and live in a decent area you should be fine. Just don't put yourself in unsafe situations.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles