Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I got a position in West Hills and was wondering if it would be feasible to live in Little Tokyo/Downtown LA, right off the 101 exit (alameda) and commute to West Hills everyday. My hours are 8am-5pm and I'd just take the 101 N.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Look at Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during your potential commute times. Look for several days to get a feel.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,139,950 times
I've always wondered why people wanted to live downtown, particularly those from out of town who have never been to L.A. They came from their own downtown districts (for whatever reason) and they want to reconstruct their out-of-town delusion and make the L.A. downtown be like the place they wanted to leave behind, but they wanted the place they moved to to be exactly like the place they left behind... But better? Different?

So tell me, why wouldn't you want to live in West Hills and have zero commute? (Zero commute is the holy grail of Los Angeles traffic connoisseurs.)

Or in other words, and this is from me personally, what the heck is wrong with you?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,606 times
Charles, thanks for the link

Lovehound: Not sure why you're taking such offense to a simple question, but to each his/her own. I have two investment condo's in little tokyo and one of the units will be vacated this month. I was contemplating if I should use it or continue to rent it out. BTW, I'm coming from Monterey, CA, hardly a "big city"

Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 PM

168 posts, read 549,668 times
At least you are coming from the better direction of traffic. I had to go to Los Angeles for a whole week last week. It took me 1 hour and 5 minutes to go from the Exit of Topanga Canyon Blvd on the 101 to the Exit Broadway off the 101. I left the valley around 7am and get there around 8:10am.

I think it will still take you 45-50 minutes on that commute. It wont be a stop and go drive but it will be a slow speed drive at times. I would do a few test runs to get the feel.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 AM

364 posts, read 991,649 times
Why not just live in West Hills? It's a nice area. I've lived there for over over 10 years. And I would kill for a job just a few minutes away.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 AM

749 posts, read 1,864,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfighter View Post
Charles, thanks for the link

Lovehound: Not sure why you're taking such offense to a simple question, but to each his/her own. I have two investment condo's in little tokyo and one of the units will be vacated this month. I was contemplating if I should use it or continue to rent it out. BTW, I'm coming from Monterey, CA, hardly a "big city"
The Downtown News just did an article on the glut of apartment units in downtown. So perhaps living in one of your units is a reasonable choice to make. See link for reference.

Los Angeles Downtown News and Information - LA Downtown News Online > News > More Apartments, More Issues

People make much worse commutes than Downtown LA to West Hills...though it won't be a walk in the park for sure.

To SOME extent you would enjoy a reverse commute but even the 101 West in the morninings can get jammed up as you head west toward Woodland Hills/West Hills. Worst case scenario...you try it for a few months. If you don't like it you can still get a tenant and rent it out.

Despite the glut in new units, the downtown market is increasing in appeal. I've rented a unit out on Gallery Row...rents have decreased but at the right price you'll get plenty of interested parties. Despite the recession...downtown has been increasing in population the last few years.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,207,301 times
sounds like a pretty crummy commute to me. the 101 from downtown to hollywood will be slow, then will clear up into the valley. then once you get towards the 405 it will slow again all the way to west hills. i think you're looking at an hour each way, that's quite a distance.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 AM

55 posts, read 168,488 times
Why do it? The commute is murder and the tear on your car and all the gas will break you. Simlify your life and live closer to your job. Dowtown is a s hole anyway.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,177,820 times
Perhaps you could look into Metrolink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles