Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

Do you think the community will improve by that time?

I've been wanting to move there for a long time, but I'm having second thoughts. I've been checking the LAPD crime map and it seems like home invasions are rampant there. I mean, my old home was broken into several times. The only things I'd ever worry about if I live in Venice is if my home is hit and some of my favorable possessions will vanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Do you believe there's a reason for crime in Venice to decrease?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Do you believe there's a reason for crime in Venice to decrease?
Probably more cop patrols and presence on the beach areas.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
anything could happen in 20 years. beverly hills could be a total slum in that amount of time (or not). venice isn't that bad though, i had a friend who lived in the worst part for five years and besides the occassional crack head walking around, safety isn't that big of an issue.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
You mean if they continue to let RV'ers live on the road and dump their waste on the city streets, what will it be like in 20 years? Or do you mean what will it look like in 20 years if the RVers move on?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM

231 posts, read 640,106 times
I get the impression not much will change in 20 years, maybe clean up a bit if the city decides to go that route.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Venice looks today as it did 20 years ago, much as it will 20 years from today. Why would you expect it to change?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

I've been wanting to move there for a long time, but I'm having second thoughts. I've been checking the LAPD crime map and it seems like home invasions are rampant there. I mean, my old home was broken into several times. The only things I'd ever worry about if I live in Venice is if my home is hit and some of my favorable possessions will vanish.
I just looked at the LAPD crime maps and don't see too many home invasions. Robberies (the category which would include home invasions) are concentrated in Oakwood. To a lesser extent that's true of home burglaries as well. The most common crime in Venice is car break-ins which exist throughout Venice (and which admittedly are a VERY serious problem even more than elsewhere in L.A.)

Venice's main current problems are caused by the RV dwellers and other homeless. It's quite possible that the city of L.A. will finally remember that Venice is part of L.A. for something other than collecting tax revenues and parking tickets. It's also possible the current neglect will continue.

As for how it will look - barring a tsunami or earthquake, probably not THAT much different, as there hasn't been any radical change in the appearance of Venice since the massive demolitions of the late '60s and early '70s (which ironically spared Oakwood - the demolitions were done with the intent of "clearing out the riff raff" but spared the worst part of Venice). If you want to see what Venice looked like during that era watch the film "Cisco Pike"

Last edited by majoun; 09-28-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
anything could happen in 20 years. beverly hills could be a total slum in that amount of time (or not). venice isn't that bad though, i had a friend who lived in the worst part for five years and besides the occassional crack head walking around, safety isn't that big of an issue.
In certain places in Venice safety is a big issue, in other places in Venice it's not a big issue.

Property crime especially car break-ins are a MAJOR issue, although car break-ins are a big issue virtually everywhere in L.A. (pretty much everywhere that's under the LAPD's jurisdiction and many places which are not). Admittedly Venice is worse than surrounding areas for auto break-ins.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
If the big one hasn't hit by then, it will probably look 20 years older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: