Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 5,687 times

Advertisements

Hi - I posted this on the OC board, but I thought I should probably post here as well!

We are relocating from a mountain town in Colorado and are struggling with where to look for a house. My husband needs to commute to Newport beach, and I need to drive to Torrance after my children are done with school for their activity. Our kids are in private school right now, so I think we would look for one in California as well. We are looking for a quiet neighborhood, possibly with a little "downtown" area to walk around, and we would rather be closer to the shore than inland (mostly because I hate being hot). The most we could spend would be $1.3 mil (but would like to spend less, although prices in California are still much higher than Colorado). I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "I need to drive to Torrance after my children are done with school for their activity." .......

Is this a drive you'll be doing every day until your kids turn 18? Or is it a temporary thing?

Newport is nice: If your husband's job is there, I don't see any reason to look anywhere else. I suppose you could look at Huntington Beach or the Palos Verdes peninsula, but you might be budgeted out of the area, even at $1.3M

Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you 1200RT. Yes, I will have to drive to Torrance probably 3-4 times a week after school. Newport seems very nice, but I was worried that it would be too far/too much traffic to try to drive that many times a week in traffic. What do you think?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Oh yes, in answer to your question, I will be doing the drive to Torrance for many years to come :-(

Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoMom4 View Post
Newport seems very nice, but I was worried that it would be too far/too much traffic to try to drive that many times a week in traffic. What do you think?
Thats about an hour drive (or more) with traffic ..... so I feel for you there.

Seal Beach? I dont know ... i'm not a huge expert on that area. Check out some of the stuff on the PV Peninsula

Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM

916 posts, read 3,702,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoMom4 View Post
Hi - I posted this on the OC board, but I thought I should probably post here as well!

We are relocating from a mountain town in Colorado and are struggling with where to look for a house. My husband needs to commute to Newport beach, and I need to drive to Torrance after my children are done with school for their activity. Our kids are in private school right now, so I think we would look for one in California as well. We are looking for a quiet neighborhood, possibly with a little "downtown" area to walk around, and we would rather be closer to the shore than inland (mostly because I hate being hot). The most we could spend would be $1.3 mil (but would like to spend less, although prices in California are still much higher than Colorado). I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thank you.
Naples Island or Belmont Shore/Belmont Park area in Long Beach. It has everything you're looking for and is not going to be a bad drive for either of you.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,636,103 times
Most places within a few blocks of the beach are going to add at least 15 minutes to your drive to Torrance in the afternoon, which is no gem of a drive anyway, but much easier if you can use the car pool lane.

If you need to be near the beach and Newport, I'd go with Seal Beach or Huntington Beach. You are not priced out in HB and 1.3 million will get you about a 2800sq ft new build place(built since 2000) less than a ten minute walk from the beach. If you want the price to drop, just go inland a small amount(maybe 5-6 blocks) or look at smaller places. There are nice enough places that are a bit older and maybe a mile from the beach that are in the $700-900k range, same size.

Drive to Newport in the morning will be around 15-20 minutes, drive to Torrance in the afternoon(say at 3pm) will be 35 minutes if using the carpool lane, 45-50 minutes using the regular freeway.

If you are ok with living a bit farther from the beach, the following communities will all fall well within your price range...at the top of your price range you are most likely buying the most expensive property in the city....and will have varying range of difficulty in driving to Newport and Torrance:

Rossmoor
Los Alamitos
Cypress
Fountain Valley
Parts of Long Beach including Belmont Shores, El Dorado estates, Bixby Knolls, the area around CSULB

Just an FYI, you can pretty much find any activity in Huntington Beach that exists in Torrance. HB is a pretty family oriented place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles