Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM

215 posts, read 1,534,125 times

Advertisements

which is better and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
They are totally different. Santa Monica is upscale, wealthy, high-end commercial districts, it's own city. Pacific Beach is low-rent, college student, dive bars, neighborhood of San Diego. I would never live in PB but would live in Santa Monica in a heartbeat.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
They are totally different. Santa Monica is upscale, wealthy, high-end commercial districts, it's own city. Pacific Beach is low-rent, college student, dive bars, neighborhood of San Diego. I would never live in PB but would live in Santa Monica in a heartbeat.
Pacific Beach is "low-rent"? What is your definition of low? Probably rents are higher in Santa Monica but there is rent control there & in Los Angeles. Pacific Beach certainly isn't as high-end as Santa Monica considering that it is a section of San Diego. It would be like comparing Venice Beach [a section of LA] to San Diego. Probably Venice and Pacific Beach have more in common with each other than Santa Monica but all 3 areas are pretty expensive in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Pacific Beach is "low-rent"? What is your definition of low? Probably rents are higher in Santa Monica but there is rent control there & in Los Angeles. Pacific Beach certainly isn't as high-end as Santa Monica considering that it is a section of San Diego. It would be like comparing Venice Beach [a section of LA] to San Diego. Probably Venice and Pacific Beach have more in common with each other than Santa Monica but all 3 areas are pretty expensive in my opinion.
Pacific Beach is low-rent compared to La Jolla or Santa Monica, and when compared to beach cities as a whole. It is a relative measure not based on what you can personally afford.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
My cousin has lived in Pacific Beach for 25+ years. During that time I've spent I'm sure more than a couple months cumulative time in PB. I really like it! I'll concede it's not La Jolla, and okay Santa Monica is pricier too, but I think "low rent" is taking things too far.

PB is a moderate priced area of San Diego but if you look at the prices I'm sure you'll find them expensive, if for no other reason than it's an affordable beach community and there's plenty of demand by people who want to live near the beach.

Comparing SM to PB is comparing apples to oranges. They're different. Each is better for different reasons.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I like Sassbertos comments on being relative. For example you could spend $15million and get a place on the beach in Malibu or you could drive north west to Oxnard and spend $3 and a half million for a nice 3 story 5,000 square foot ocean front beach home. Is it affordable? Guess it depends on your current position in life. I have a friend that sold his Malibu place and moved to Oxnard. He has a much nicer home for his trouble.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Yes I am trying to use the term "low rent" in a relative way, i.e. it is true that PB is expensive, but in comparison to other beach cities, it is still a "low-rent" city.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Well Sassberto, how about comparing Pacific Beach to Mission Beach.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well Sassberto, how about comparing Pacific Beach to Mission Beach.
PB / MB / OB are all the lower-end beach cities of San Diego. They are all bascially just variations on each other. In recent years a few developers have tried to turn Mission Beach into Venice, but it didn't work.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Okay thank you Sassy for answering my question. I'd put MB a bit below PB but you're on the scene and I'm not.

I sure like your beach cities in SD. Sure I'd like to live in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, but I can't afford them. I think I'd like Pacific Beach, Mission Beach too, perhaps OB (Ocean Beach? My memories are a bit vague here), but heck I can't afford any of those beaches (or ours in L.A.) or I'd move there.

I'm headed for the mountains instead, several hundred miles from any beach. Beaches are nice. Mountains are nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles