Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Do you prefer the new building?
While it's not a style I'd choose, yes I do. At least it looks like something other than a sterile, monochromatic box.

Lest I be accused of being a mid-century hater, mid-century residential architecture can be very pleasing to my eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,146,747 times
Default Parker Center Dedication

Here are some pictures of the Parker Center dedication in 1969. As you can see from the program Jack Webb from Dragnet was one of the speakers. First picture is of the Program of Events for the day. The next picture is of Jack speaking to the crowds at the dedication. He was still filming Dragnet at that time as well. The last picture is of the new(at that time) sign officially giving the PAB (Police Administration Building) the new title Parker Center. Enjoy the pictures!

Thanks,
JH
Attached Thumbnails
Parker Center-ded-pc.jpg   Parker Center-jspcd.jpg   Parker Center-pcsd.jpg  

Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 PM

237 posts, read 668,614 times
Interesting, many people in LA, myself included, considered it prime example of the horror of mid-century architecture that was the vogue in the US at that time. Such buildings are considered among the ugliest in the city and metro area. I did tour that old Parker Center in the 1970's and it was a DUMP! Even the cops considered it a dump as well, as it was unaesthetic or not aesthetically pleasing architecture in which to work. It had long before the 1970's become inadequate as a police headquarters as there was room for just about nothing. The cramped, conditions, the worn out offices, well, it was the farthest image one would have as a police headquarters for, quite likely, the best police department in the world who invented modern policing in the U.S. from para-military tactics strategy to inventing SWAT, air-support (still the largest civilian air-force with at least 15-20 helicopters 4 of which are always in the air covering assigned geographical areas at all times), efficiency unparalleled by doing so much with so LITTLE, and its outstanding academy and tactics (LAPD shut down the same band of organized "anarchists" trouble makers before they could strike as they did in Seattle's WTO and Philadelphia's Republican National Convention--the monitored radio chatter used by the organized trouble makers included remarks like, "They're [LAPD] on us; we can't get rid of them (a platoon of Metro officers sole task was to constantly follow and observe or "shadow" the band of "anarchist" trouble makers ready to move in and arrest with force when necessary); and my favorite, "This isn't Seattle") and even the code the LAPD had for EVERYTHING, all now used by police departments around the country. Even the cops were disappointed with Parker Center and felt it was difficult doing their job in such an ugly and inadequate building.

Sorry, I for one will be glad when they tear-down that dump and they should take City Hall South with it, and even City Hall East is bad architectural mark from the 1970's. The new Police Headquarters is a much better example of architecture.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Well I suppose everyone has there own opinion on what is classic architecture!

Thanks,
JH

Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
A word on the mosaic-tile murals. They were everywhere in the late 50's through the 60's. LAX, Bob's Big Boy, my dentist's office, my mom's kitchen. I can remember going to Hobby City, in Buena Park, and all the mom's would ooh and ahh over boxes of little tiles. Any word on if the Parker Center mosaic will be saved?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Does anyone here watch the LAPD police show Dragnet? It is a favorite of mine! Parker Center is seen in many episodes.

Thanks,
JH
Attached Thumbnails
Parker Center-dragnet-logo.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Any new info on Parker Center?
Thanks,
JH

Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I found this short but very informative audio-slide show about Parker Center;Audio slide show: Los Angeles' historic police headquarters is going off duty - latimes.com

Enjoy

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
I found this short but very informative audio-slide show about Parker Center;Audio slide show: Los Angeles' historic police headquarters is going off duty - latimes.com

Enjoy
That was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles