Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 PM

120 posts, read 479,991 times

Advertisements

ignoring schools...no kids. It seems Westchester homes for the same price have a bit more square feet and are in better shape (i.e, more recently updated). El Segundo comparables tend to be junkier and require major updating/remodeling. Westchester is closer to suspect/iffy areas...but i guess so is El Segundo...but being close to iffy areas seems more noticeable in westchester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
Westchester is closer to suspect/iffy areas...but i guess so is El Segundo...but being close to iffy areas seems more noticeable in westchester
I didn't sense any iffy areas near the residential (west side) of El Segundo. The residential area is bordered (buffered?) by LAX, the ocean, the Chevron refinery and the business district. Past the business district is the middle class neighborhood of Del Aire and past that is Hawthorne which is old but doesn't seem dangerous. West of the refinery is upscale Manhattan Beach.

All El Segundo schools are very good.
Most Westchester schools are OK with Westchester High School being a disappointment.
School performance sends me a message.

Might come down to specific housing options. Which home in which neighborhood. To where is the commute.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 AM

thanks charles. my work is in el segundo itself. The east side of both areas are near the iffy sides. but you are right...residential for el segundo is secluded. both areas have a mixed bag in terms of homes. Some westchester homes go for a lot more $$$ than homes in el segundo. homes in el segundo are soooooo run down compared to the same price in westchester...and the airplane noise in el segundo is unbearable. north westchester is north kentwood area which is minimal, if any, airplane noise.

you're right about disappointing schools sending a message, but it seems like westside of LA, including westchester, ignore the disappointing schools aspect if you consider the asking prices

Last edited by nick2006; 07-25-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
.and the airplane noise in el segundo is unbearable.
Maybe on the far west side. I doubt if you'd hear it on the eastern side towards Grand. Maybe at night it would be more noticeable though.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
El Segundo, strictly based on the fact that it is not patrolled by LAPD.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
i like both, el segundo is almost like mayberry in CA (minus the stench and airplane noise). westchester is closer to jobs on the westside and less noisy, but schools are bad. both are a bit boring though, but more exciting neighborhoods are close by for both as well. if i had $1M to buy a house, i'd probably pick el segundo, but i also plan on having kids in the not too distant future.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

I am not sure Westchester is patrolled by LAPD, either.

ES is patrolled by ESPD, but only the major streets, like Sepulveda, Grand, Main, El Segundo Blvd, and maybe Mariposa.

ESPD has a much quicker response time than LAPD

And, agree on ES schools. If the kid wants to study, he can get a great education in ES.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
I am not sure Westchester is patrolled by LAPD, either.
"Westchester" is a part of the City of Los Angeles (90045) ... and falls under LAPD territory.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

i think brentwood, westwood, pacific palisades, and bel aire are under LAPD also? I am tryiny to understand your point. Is westchester unsafe? I am referring to west of sepulveda?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
i think brentwood, westwood, pacific palisades, and bel aire are under LAPD also? I am tryiny to understand your point. Is westchester unsafe? I am referring to west of sepulveda?
You are correct, they are. My point was, given the choice, I would opt for a independent police/fire infrastructure (like El Segundo, Santa Monica). It has nothing to do with the areas, just my first had knowledge of the departments.

Westchester (west of) is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles