Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM

15 posts, read 38,429 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move to out there for a couple years now. I visited last year but was only there for a short time so I am worried I wont adjust. Im basically just sick of MASS but I dont want to make a bad decision coming out there. Im 26 and have my own landscape business and I have been self employed since I was 20. Im not doing bad financially in life, I think I am just itchy for change in my life. Just worried about starting over. I was also considering coming out there during the winter and trying to do something but not too sure. Anyone have on advice on this situation cause I cannot make up my mind and I dont wanna make a dumb decision. Seems like people from the east come there and then always come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
I'd be worried about starting over too. boston isn't cheap so you shouldn't be too sticker shocked.
You have savings?
A "plan B" job?
Lakers or celtics?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Aren't your customers in Boston? Seems like it would be a little hard to commute that far. LOL It may take some time to build a client base out here if you are planning on doing the same thing. Your competition might be a legal resident and might not be a legal resident. It is a similar situation with car detailers. We were informed by one detailer that he was the only one washing cars on our campus that had insurance and a business license. We started checking and now his company is the only one working here. Kind of helped that he was washing the CEO's car. So their are ways around paperless competitors. But I digress.

You are still young. It is possible to make it out here. Just depends on your resources. Lets say that you leave Boston during the winter and see what you can do in the way of building a customer base out here. You could end up staying on or at the end of winter you could head back to your old customers and say that at least you tried it out. I work with a guy who came out here with his brother. He has been here probably 25 years now and loves it. He also loves Boston and visits his family for a week or two each year. His brother left here and headed back to Boston 13 years ago and is happy there. You never know I guess.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,095 times
I dunno how the immigrant worker situation is in Boston but here in Cali most of the low-skilled manual labor jobs in gardening/farming/nursery are taken by Latinos who're willing to work for a pittance. The landscaper who takes care of my parents' home told us that 20 yrs ago you could raise a family on a gardener's salary. But that's rarely the case today with downward pressure on wages due to the continuing waves of new immigrants from south across the border. Moreover, during the housing boom many laborers went into construction & now with those jobs gone they've flooded the landscaping sector.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM

So, your saying landscaping is out of the question? lol I mean, how much do you need to take home a month to live somewhat comfortable?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,095 times
In this economic climate, the question isn't so much living comfortably, but simply whether you can land enough customers on a minimum wage salary to pay rent :/

At every Home Depot out here in SoCal there are dozens of Latino daylaborers milling about, just waiting to be hired by contractors for any kind of work. It's a tough market right now, even for skilled tradesmen like electricians & HVAC ppl.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Damn, I figured that. I would basically need a career change because I wasnt even on planning on getting a business going right away. Is the market getting any better?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Michael,
I moved out here from Boston 36 years ago.
I swore once I left that city behind, if I ever saw it again, it would be too soon.
I hate that cold miserable weather there.
Now as for Southern California, for anyone moving here, it's a crapp shoot.
Life is what you make it.
If you are determined to succeed, you can do that anywhere.
If I were you, I would decide long before leaving Boston, just what it is you want to be doing for work.
That is important because you will want to direct all your attention and resources toward that goal.
Unless you have a fairly good grasp on what kind of work you want to do, it would be fruitless to arrive here and have no idea what , or where to look for employment.
Sure, as explained above, in the landscaping and construction fields, the immigrant population has taken them over.
The same might be said for the service industries like hotel workers but, that doesn't mean you couldn't succeed if you try.
Southern California is a prime market for people who are in the landscape industry.
With good credentials and a strong will to succeed, you will.
As for rentals, depending on where you decide to settle, the rents can be reasonable, to down right rediculous.
My advice would be come with enough finances to get you by for at least 4 or 5 months just in case you run into difficulty in whatever you decide to do for employment.
Bob.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Yeah,I have heard it is a crap shoot. Im a focused guy but like you said my main concern is work. There is a nationwide landscape company called Valley Crest. Im hoping they dont only hire illegal immigrants basically because of the reputation factor. What is a decent area to live. And whats the rent range? My friend told me to check out Long Beach. I know there other good spots but who knows. Do you think it would wiser to wait another year for the economy to turn around or it doesnt really matter?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,997,949 times
[quote=michaelc22;15171654]Yeah,I have heard it is a crap shoot. Im a focused guy but like you said my main concern is work. There is a nationwide landscape company called Valley Crest. Im hoping they dont only hire illegal immigrants basically because of the reputation factor. What is a decent area to live. And whats the rent range? My friend told me to check out Long Beach. I know there other good spots but who knows. Do you think it would wiser to wait another year for the economy to turn around or it doesnt really matter?[/quote ]

I guess I could be considered a bitpartial, but I think Northeast of downtown Los Angeles is a great area to live.
Close enough to more populated sections of the city while still offering the ambience of a city suburb.
I live on the L;A South Pasadena border where most of the buildings are single family homes with a few apartment buildings here and there.
The area is ten minures from downtown, and about the same from Pasadena, and the rosebowl.
About fifteen minutes from the night life of Hollywood and easily accessible by freeway.
I am in property management so I have a good grasp on the rental market in Southern California.
Depending on the area you want to live, the rent for a one bedroom apartment could range from $800.00 a month all the way up to $1800.00, if not more.
If you would like more info on my properties, you can send me a PM, and we can discuss it.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles