Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,050 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm starting a PhD program at USC in August so I need to find an apartment nearby. I am NOT on the main campus which is by the Coliseum. My campuses are HSC and HSA which are located in LA and Alhambra, respectively. The address for the HSC campus is 1975 Zonal Ave. Los Angeles, 90089 and the HSA address is 1000 S. Fremont Ave. Alhambra, 91803. I'm hoping to find an apartment that is no more than 15 minutes from each campus. The majority of my time will be at the HSC campus but I know that I may need to go to HSA at times.

I'm looking for a 1 bed/1 bath apartment that is no more than $1200/month (exluding utilities). My main concern is that the apartment/neighborhood is safe because I'm a female living on my own. I also care a lot about the cleanliness of the area (no bugs!!) and how it looks. I don't really care about how big or small the apartment is as long as it has a bedroom. I'm thinking the safest neighborhoods would be Alhambra, South Pasadena, and Pasadena. I would love it if I could find some place near Old Town Pasadena but those may be more than 15 minutes from campus. I think I prefer an apartment that has a lot of units because I feel like I can get more privacy that way and won't be bothered by the landlord very often. I really like high towers like The Promenade Towers and the Grand Promenade Towers. The parking situation is important too because I know my boyfriend will be over all the time.

I think that's it. I would LOVE it if you guys could provide me with any suggestions on what neighborhoods to live in and which apartments specifically. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,891 times
Many grad students, post-docs, staff live in all three cities that you mention. South Pasadena is probably the most reliably safe anywhere within the city. If you are really serious about a 15 minute door to door time limit, Alhambra is closest to HSC via Huntington Dr. or Valley Blvd. Even South Pasadena might be more than 15 minutes to HSC depending on where in South Pas you live. The 110 (Pasadena) Fwy has on-ramps in both Pasadena and S. Pas. It can be taken to the 5 Fwy which dumps you near HSC. With no traffic, it can be a quick trip; however, with congestion it can be awful. Consequently, most people take Huntington Dr. to HSC. Surface streets from Pasadena to HSC can eat a surprising amount of time.

The Metro Gold line (light rail) has stops in Pasadena and S. Pas, and it takes you to Union Station. From there, take a shuttle or bus to HSC. I knew a female post-doc who sometimes biked from South Pas to HSC.

Although I can't endorse it without reservation, I knew a young female visiting M.D. from China who lived half a mile away from HSC in a "bad" area and she had no problem commuting on foot (no car).

Overnight street parking (2-6AM) in South Pas and Pasadena requires a permit. Might also be true for Alhambra.

Pasadena and Alhambra has some newer apartments/condos which are more than two or three stories but as far as I know, there are no high rise dwellings.

I can't really comment on pricing or specific complexes but judging from the number of "For Rent" signs, it's still a renter's market.

Not sure about your "no bugs" requirement. You will see ants, crickets, cockroaches, black widows, mosquitoes in the area. Probably won't see them in the house unless there is an infestation.

Good luck on grad school.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,050 times
Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,751 times
We have fully furnished 3 beds/1 bath for $2185- non-furnished for $1785! Please go to website for pictures [URL="http://www.wynnstar.com/"]www.wynnstar.com[/URL]
5 minute bike ride, 15 minute walk Complimentary high speed internet access 120+ digital channel HDTV ready Dish Network TV service including 16 HBO and Showtime movie channels included in rent Laundry facilities with Maytag coin operated machines Heat in all apartments, A/C in selected apartments Full kitchen with micro, electric stove, fridge and garbage disposal Quiet building located on a residential street featuring historical homes
Please contact: Sonny 714-251-0499 or [EMAIL="wynnstarhousing@gmail.com"]wynnstarhousing@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnstar View Post
We have fully furnished 3 beds/1 bath for $2185- non-furnished for $1785! Please go to website for pictures www.wynnstar.com
5 minute bike ride, 15 minute walk Complimentary high speed internet access 120+ digital channel HDTV ready Dish Network TV service including 16 HBO and Showtime movie channels included in rent Laundry facilities with Maytag coin operated machines Heat in all apartments, A/C in selected apartments Full kitchen with micro, electric stove, fridge and garbage disposal Quiet building located on a residential street featuring historical homes
Please contact: Sonny 714-251-0499 or wynnstarhousing@gmail.com

I thought the rules on this forum forbid advertising.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles