Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 PM

72 posts, read 237,124 times

Advertisements

i'm a caucasion 20 year old from chicago and I'm considering renting some of the cheaper apartments around the LA downtown area.

I'm looking for general local info on the this area and it's property, people, etc....(especially the macarthur park area with a couple apts only charging $500 a month)

i figure i'll probably have to speak a lot of spanish since all the neighborhoods seem to be primarily hispanic....i can speak it but i'm not fluent...i'm more concerned about the safety in these areas tho than the demographics

i can deal with a 'rough' neighboorhood....like keep a low profile, don't get too crazy wandering around at night, avoid gangbanging nonsense (such as wearing red or blue bandanas), don't stare people down as you walk past, carry protection for those random jackers....but i probably couldn't deal with a chaotic neighboorhood where every other week there's shootings in front of my house and homies banging in front of my apartments every day selling drugs and confronting people about who they are and where they're from and such

i've never been to los angeles (yet), but for comparison chicago neighboorhoods such as humboltd park, englewood, the back o' the yards, north/south lawndale, spanish harlem, and woodlawn are all examples of places i wouldn't live in

i appreciate all info I can get on the neighboorhoods outside of downtown with the nice cheap rents...like whether or not it's tolerable for a caucasian youth not interested in criminal activities and just trying to go to work and school and such....i'm basically trying to balance safety with proximity to LA's west side so I wouldn't live anywhere east of boyle heights, north of hollywood, or too far south of downtown

here's some links of apts for rent that appealed to me if anyone knows anything about these areas

right outside of downtown (south)

about a mile west of macarthur park (koreatown)

about a block south of macarthur park (8th st.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Areas around MacArthur Park are pretty tough in my opinion. The park used to be a big drug hangout until the cops clamped down. There are a lot of apartment buildings and parking is very difficult. Further down Wilshire the better the neighborhoods become. Actually north and east of Wilshire is better. Alvarado is a busy street with many small stores\ little restaurants. There was a fairly strong gang presence in and around MacArthur Pk at one time. Koreatown is close by and safer.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 785,071 times
Wow so that's what a bad neighborhood looks like in Los Angeles

Im not from la but some of these cheap apartments on craigs list looks very decent 750-1000 range its looks better then what we have here in south jersey. Im just curious why are they so cheap and nice looking?

BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE STUDIO BLOW OUT SPECIAL THIS WEEKEND ONLY!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1811027793.html - broken link)

♬Refurbished ^ Air Conditioning ^ Controlled Access ^ Generous M\I Bonus & (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1810762508.html - broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM

72 posts, read 237,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Im just curious why are they so cheap and nice looking?
ololLOloLOLOlo trollan

What about Chinatown?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Wow so that's what a bad neighborhood looks like in Los Angeles

Im not from la but some of these cheap apartments on craigs list looks very decent 750-1000 range its looks better then what we have here in south jersey. Im just curious why are they so cheap and nice looking?

BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE STUDIO BLOW OUT SPECIAL THIS WEEKEND ONLY!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1811027793.html - broken link)

♬Refurbished ^ Air Conditioning ^ Controlled Access ^ Generous M\I Bonus & (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1810762508.html - broken link)
Those are apartments in the San Fernando valley; not downtown LA. There are similar apartment buildings in the MacArthur Pk area [also called Westlake] but the neighborhood is pretty rough.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic the trader View Post
ololLOloLOLOlo trollan

What about Chinatown?
Chinatown is OK and you may find some pretty decent rents but all the new construction is fairly expensive. How about Echo Pk or Silver Lake?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
What are you going to do when you get there?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 35,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What are you going to do when you get there?
Not be homeless living in automobiles.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic the trader View Post
i'm a caucasion 20 year old from chicago and I'm considering renting some of the cheaper apartments around the LA downtown area.

I'm looking for general local info on the this area and it's property, people, etc....(especially the macarthur park area with a couple apts only charging $500 a month)

i figure i'll probably have to speak a lot of spanish since all the neighborhoods seem to be primarily hispanic....i can speak it but i'm not fluent...i'm more concerned about the safety in these areas tho than the demographics

i can deal with a 'rough' neighboorhood....like keep a low profile, don't get too crazy wandering around at night, avoid gangbanging nonsense (such as wearing red or blue bandanas), don't stare people down as you walk past, carry protection for those random jackers....but i probably couldn't deal with a chaotic neighboorhood where every other week there's shootings in front of my house and homies banging in front of my apartments every day selling drugs and confronting people about who they are and where they're from and such

i've never been to los angeles (yet), but for comparison chicago neighboorhoods such as humboltd park, englewood, the back o' the yards, north/south lawndale, spanish harlem, and woodlawn are all examples of places i wouldn't live in

i appreciate all info I can get on the neighboorhoods outside of downtown with the nice cheap rents...like whether or not it's tolerable for a caucasian youth not interested in criminal activities and just trying to go to work and school and such....i'm basically trying to balance safety with proximity to LA's west side so I wouldn't live anywhere east of boyle heights, north of hollywood, or too far south of downtown

here's some links of apts for rent that appealed to me if anyone knows anything about these areas

right outside of downtown (south)

about a mile west of macarthur park (koreatown)

about a block south of macarthur park (8th st.)
--------------------------------------------
If you are planning to pay $500 a month in rent, you will be living in a marginal neighborhood. If you say that doesn't bother you, then great.

If there is any way you can pay $1000-1500 you will be a lot safer.

I hope you have a source of support while living here. That is key.
Having said all that...Welcome to LA! We are glad you are coming.
:-)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 35,508 times
L.A. is by far my favorite place in California. I would hate to see L.A. die.....that's the impression I'm under....that L.A. is a dying city waiting to fall into the ocean.

I'm going there for the L.A. because of the entertainment incentive.....because I believe it is still a lucrative place for the picture business. I figure well I live in the ghetto now.....so if I can save money by living in a neighborhood for way less than the rest of the city, and it's probably not as bad as the place I'm in right now...then why not? At least Los Angeles has Hollywood, and I won't have to deal with violent winters if I end up living in my car again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles