Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM

581 posts, read 1,249,874 times

Advertisements

I just read a post about the fact that, for example, a nanny makes an average of 5 to 600 dollars a week. If the average rent on long island for a LEGAL studio is about 1000 dollars a month, where should those with those profession(low pay) live if it weren't for illegal rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM

22,786 posts, read 37,225,179 times
Are you implying that people with illegal apartments charge a LOT less money for rent? I'm not being snarky - I'm genuinely curious.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM

581 posts, read 1,249,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Are you implying that people with illegal apartments charge a LOT less money for rent? I'm not being snarky - I'm genuinely curious.
Yes. In general. basement apts for example.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,372,052 times
I agree. Generally speaking illegal apartments are less expensive than legal apartments. There are many variables though.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 PM

372 posts, read 746,098 times
Good Question. It seems like most illegal apts are about $650 - 800/month and include all utilities while a legal apt will cost a minimum of $1100 plus electricity, cable, heat etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,532,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it depends. You have some homeowners with illegal apartments who want top dollar for them. I just saw a rental for a completely illegal 1BR (garage conversion) and the guy wanted $1250 for it! On the other hand, I've seen 2BR illegal apartments going for $1100/mo.

A legal 2br can go for $1400-$1500 or even more if it's in a "luxury" complex.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM

456 posts, read 1,129,438 times
Before we bought our house, we were looking for apartment. I would say 1500 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment. I guess it depends where you are looking, but this was in Farmingdale etc. And most of the apartments didn't include utilities. The only thing that I wasn't looking at were basement apartments.

I would have loved to have found a 1200 apartment.

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't know how people who work for minimum wage live on LI. When we looked in Patchogue back when housing prices were insane, we saw a house where every room had a separate lock, even a closet! And, each room was rented to a different person. So I guess if you are living fifteen to a house it's cheap and we used to have a house like this on our old block in Farmingdale with at least ten people living in the house.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Long Island (Nassau County in Particular) has refused to create a housing supply of apartments, driving the costs for what does exist quite-high. I think the Archstone in Westbury is almost 3000 a month for a 2 bedroom, Avalon in Glen Cove is 2300.

To me, those people are not welcomed to live on the Island, but do exist and continue to reside with their parents for the most part- many until 30 years or older.

A number of people speak about the high pay for public services on LI, but very few speak up for the underpaid working class. Minimum Wage here is the same as in Albany, Watertown, and North Tonawanda.

Town officials should enact minimum wage laws similar to that in the City of San Francisco which pays all minimum wage employees 9.79 per hour. There will always be cons that come along with it- but you will not start to see business running from Roosevelt Field, or the Americana, or the giant Megaplexes of Western LI.

It's time that private industries, many of whom OWN (and have owned for 50 years) the buildings they conduct business in, pay their employees a living wage on the Island.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 AM

456 posts, read 1,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Long Island (Nassau County in Particular) has refused to create a housing supply of apartments, driving the costs for what does exist quite-high. I think the Archstone in Westbury is almost 3000 a month for a 2 bedroom, Avalon in Glen Cove is 2300.

To me, those people are not welcomed to live on the Island, but do exist and continue to reside with their parents for the most part- many until 30 years or older.

A number of people speak about the high pay for public services on LI, but very few speak up for the underpaid working class. Minimum Wage here is the same as in Albany, Watertown, and North Tonawanda.

Town officials should enact minimum wage laws similar to that in the City of San Francisco which pays all minimum wage employees 9.79 per hour. There will always be cons that come along with it- but you will not start to see business running from Roosevelt Field, or the Americana, or the giant Megaplexes of Western LI.

It's time that private industries, many of whom OWN (and have owned for 50 years) the buildings they conduct business in, pay their employees a living wage on the Island.
You would see a further cost of living increase on Long Island.

Anyway, one of the biggest problems with Long Island is that it is very unrealistic to expect your children to have the same quality of life that you had (or your grandparents had) with the current conditions.

Back in the day, you could have someone with a "normal" job work and have his wife stay home with their 2.5 kids and live in a decent house in a decent neighborhood. This was possible after WWII when the soldiers came home and started families on LI.

One solution would at least be to build affordable housing for the kids to live in so they wouldn't have to leave Long Island, as many do. But I don't know how you would prevent this new "low income" housing to be a place for illegal immigrants and people collecting welfare.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,871,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
... the Archstone in Westbury ...
The Archstone is in East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island