Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM

36 posts, read 104,895 times

Advertisements

Do you use it?

Love it? Hate it?

Found someplace better to offer/request stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,712,408 times
One of my cheapskate assistants uses it all the time.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
I've gifted items on Freecycle several times. Most experiences were good, but I did have one clod who broke a window I had offered, drove partly into a stone wall on my property and made me rethink exposing myself to such liability. I no longer fc from my home. If it's large and breakable -- it goes into the Dumpster. If it's smaller and usable, off it goes to Goodwill on 25 in Centereach and I'll take the receipt for tax purposes.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,521,138 times
I've found a few things....and got rid of a few things. Id suggest the daily digest rather than singular emails...you'll get thousands.

One thing I could never get into was the giving away of bags of food...which sometimes included open items....yuck.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
I've given stuff away on here. Never had a problem. I was glad to give things that are still useable to someone instead of throwing them away.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
One friend (in Syosset) had statues taken from her porch when she left FC items out. For the most part people are decent, but there are a few jerks out there.

I did get the mother lode of Ball jars through someone on eastern Suffolk FC when we needed them for a school project on a tight budget.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
I have also given things away in the craigslist "free section." No problems with them either.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I've gifted items on Freecycle several times. Most experiences were good, but I did have one clod who broke a window I had offered, drove partly into a stone wall on my property and made me rethink exposing myself to such liability. I no longer fc from my home. If it's large and breakable -- it goes into the Dumpster. If it's smaller and usable, off it goes to Goodwill on 25 in Centereach and I'll take the receipt for tax purposes.
That's a good point, thank's for bringing that up

Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
I have and am still using Freecycle. As was stated by others, most experiences are good.
When I sold the house of a deceased friend, there was lots of nice furniture that none of the charitable organizations wanted to pick up, so I posted and people gladly came to get the items. I've also given away excess plants, etc. and gotten a few items myself here and there.

The purpose of Freecycle is to recycle and keep things out of the landfills... I like that.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I have and am still using Freecycle. As was stated by others, most experiences are good.
When I sold the house of a deceased friend, there was lots of nice furniture that none of the charitable organizations wanted to pick up, so I posted and people gladly came to get the items. I've also given away excess plants, etc. and gotten a few items myself here and there.

The purpose of Freecycle is to recycle and keep things out of the landfills... I like that.

That is what's appealing to me about the movement, but having people come to the house or having to meet them somewhere bothers me a bit.

Think I'm a litte gun shy since I've had a few kooky people from craigslist already.

I've heard the moderators are a little uptight on Freecycle too -- is there a reason for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island