Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 18,599 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move into Plainview, NY. We are Catholic and know that it is predominantly Jewish however really like the area. I was wondering if there are any Churches in the area that are active and have activities for children? We were looking in the Manetto Hill section of the neighborhood. Any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM

903 posts, read 3,587,391 times
there is a church on washington avenue-i think maybe 2 but im not sure anything about them-take a ride from old country road down washington avenue-they will be before the underpass of the northern state on the right hand side-

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM

46 posts, read 236,240 times
It is kind of a misconception that the Plainview area is predominantly Jewish...you really see that at Christmas time with all the houses decorated with lights, etc. for Christmas! LOL!

St. Pius is on Washington Avenue and attracts many Plainview residents. Many others attend Our Lady of Mercy on S. Oyster Bay Road in Hicksville and others attend St. Killian's in Farmingdale....

Don't know how old your kids are, but I believe the St. Pius religious ed program is much more hands-on family-wise (i.e. parents attend class with their kids) than the other two parishes. Some love it...some don't. You might call or visit the St. Pius offices if you are interested in more activities.

There is also the Mid-Island Jewish Community Center on Manetto Hill Road....anyone is free to join..it is a Y type facility. It has 2 gyms, an indoor pool, a nursery program, lots of programs for families, kids, seniors and they also have a summer camp program. We are members there and are like you, Catholic...

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 18,599 times
Thanks for the reply leslimc. My children are young, not yet in school. How do you like the neighborhood? Any pros or cons?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,745,546 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Plainview

Messo, Plainview is a hamlet and includes within its borders several neighborhoods.

For those who may not be familiar with Plainview:

Plainview is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-east part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Plainview in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Woodbury; on the east by the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of Old Bethpage and the Hamlet of Bethpage; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Hicksville.

The Hamlet of Plainview has a different border than does the "Plainview, NY 11803" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Plainview and a place can be in the Hamlet of Plainview and have other than a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address): places with a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Plainview are in the Hamlet of Woodbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Plainview that have an "Old Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 05-29-2010, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 15,064 times
Hi Messo
We belong to Saint Pius X on Washington Ave and is a great Parish. Our religious ed program is unique in that it requires parents to attend class while the children do. The parents go for 3 years. At first we were a little hesitant but wow what terrific program. It really helped foster a sense of community and it's not as daunting as it sounds. We have Easter egg hunts, Christmas Celebrations with a visit from Santa, a festival, a picnic and a golf outing.
As for Plainview being a Jewish neighborhood, our block is just about 50% Jewish and 50% Catholic. We love all of our neighbors and socialize with them regularly as there are a lot of families with young children. We have 3 (2 in Old Bethpage elementary and 1 in nursery) Parents are very involved with their children which makes for good schools, good programs and safe streets.
You can't beat the central location with the LIE and Northern Pkwy right there.
Some of the negatives you may encounter are very busy shopping centers, pushy people with bad attitudes.But I guess that's everywhere.
Because Plainview is a mixed religious neighborhood, you're children will know the truth about Santa much sooner than kids in a mostly Christian neighborhood. This comes up on the school bus during the great Christmas-Hanukkah debate. In the end, kids being kids, they all decide they want celebrate both holidays in order to get as many gifts as possible
Hope this is helpful and good luck

Old 05-29-2010, 12:43 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,211,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemc View Post
It is kind of a misconception that the Plainview area is predominantly Jewish...you really see that at Christmas time with all the houses decorated with lights, etc. for Christmas! LOL!

St. Pius is on Washington Avenue and attracts many Plainview residents. Many others attend Our Lady of Mercy on S. Oyster Bay Road in Hicksville and others attend St. Killian's in Farmingdale....

Don't know how old your kids are, but I believe the St. Pius religious ed program is much more hands-on family-wise (i.e. parents attend class with their kids) than the other two parishes. Some love it...some don't. You might call or visit the St. Pius offices if you are interested in more activities.

There is also the Mid-Island Jewish Community Center on Manetto Hill Road....anyone is free to join..it is a Y type facility. It has 2 gyms, an indoor pool, a nursery program, lots of programs for families, kids, seniors and they also have a summer camp program. We are members there and are like you, Catholic...

Good luck!

Great post! Also the post from "plainviewres"
A little more congested than some other areas, but good QOL

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 19,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemc View Post
hmm.. idk that its a misconception. i recall sitting in 11th grade U.S. history at POBJFK (plainview) high school 7 years ago and, just for fun, our teacher mr. Herman asked everyone in the class who was NOT jewish to please raise their hand..
3 out of about 25 hands went up.
and theres not too many xmas lights up either come december, a few sure, but nowhere near the amount of electric menorahs you will see displayed.

either way, it doesnt really matter. Plainview is full of ashkenazi jews and in my opinion, we tend to be the most pleasant.. my opinion is bias of course.

last thought, the mid island Y is an AWESOME place for families with little kids... it doesnt matter the religion, u will see all kinds of people at the Y

Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,729 times
Growing up in Plainview I have really nothing bad to say about it. In fact i think people pay a premium to live there and the li housing numbers I believe reflect this. Plainview actually saw a .3 % increase in home values YOY, compared to many other towns in Nassau that saw 3-4% declines in value. Exceptional schools, one of if not the best public libraries in all of Long Island, A hospital right on Old Country Rd, and 5 minutes to the LIE, Northern and Southern State Pkwys. A great resource there also is the YMHA as well. They have a wide array of programs for children and excellent workout facilities! I have friends that go there that arent Jewish and they said they feel welcome. Add to this one of the best markets on Long Island called the Fairway MArket.. Quality of Whole Foods at grocery store prices. One of the best kept secrets on Long island and yep right there in Plainview. I dont live on LI anymore, but if I ever move back one day Id run to Plainview in a heartbeat.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 AM

537 posts, read 1,452,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuido View Post
Growing up in Plainview I have really nothing bad to say about it. In fact i think people pay a premium to live there and the li housing numbers I believe reflect this. Plainview actually saw a .3 % increase in home values YOY, compared to many other towns in Nassau that saw 3-4% declines in value. Exceptional schools, one of if not the best public libraries in all of Long Island, A hospital right on Old Country Rd, and 5 minutes to the LIE, Northern and Southern State Pkwys. A great resource there also is the YMHA as well. They have a wide array of programs for children and excellent workout facilities! I have friends that go there that arent Jewish and they said they feel welcome. Add to this one of the best markets on Long Island called the Fairway MArket.. Quality of Whole Foods at grocery store prices. One of the best kept secrets on Long island and yep right there in Plainview. I dont live on LI anymore, but if I ever move back one day Id run to Plainview in a heartbeat.

I am not Jewish and that is essentially the reason why I moved here. The housing market in this area has been real solid and I believe it will withstand declines better than other areas like Massapequa, Wantagh, and Bellmore.

Lets face it... I know Jewish people like to live with other Jewish people. At least more so than Catholic people who want to live with other Catholics.

Because of this, property values will stay good since Jewish families have the cash to buy in these areas.

So I guess my kids would raise their hand as #4 out of #26. My christmas decorations will be up this winter as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island