Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times

Advertisements

I am just starting to research replacement windows. I cannot afford to do all of them at once so I am going to start in the basement. When my grandmother had replacement windows put in YEARS ago they did not do a good job. Some of them did not meet and therefore could not lock. She too did not get them all done at once and the first company that she used went out of business. So when she had a problem there was not recourse.

Can anyone recommend a company that you used and tell me the brand of window you used. Online I see that windowrama offers SO many choices of manufactures. Unified seems to have their own windows. Any insight?? Anything I should know about windows or what to look out for??? BTW I am in Commack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I am just starting to research replacement windows. I cannot afford to do all of them at once so I am going to start in the basement. When my grandmother had replacement windows put in YEARS ago they did not do a good job. Some of them did not meet and therefore could not lock. She too did not get them all done at once and the first company that she used went out of business. So when she had a problem there was not recourse.

Can anyone recommend a company that you used and tell me the brand of window you used. Online I see that windowrama offers SO many choices of manufactures. Unified seems to have their own windows. Any insight?? Anything I should know about windows or what to look out for??? BTW I am in Commack.
Dawn, I've used Alpha Windows in the past, for different homes, and was very happy with the quality of their windows and the efficiency with which they were installed.
I'm saving up for my current house, and will definitely give them a call again.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,273 times
I just replaced 10 double hung windows in my house. Big difference in price/quality and every show room will trash the other guys window by comparing their top of the line window to the competitions middle/bottom of the line, so make sure you visit each showroom, don't just look at the vendors "competition display."

I was impressed with Alpha windows, but they were pretty pricey and the style of the frame is very beefy. On the upside, it's a good strong frame even without aluminum reinforcement but on the downside, if you have small windows to begin with, you'll have even less glass in the replacement.

Royal windows were pretty much the same deal/price.

Tri-State ended up earning my business and gave me a good deal on their top of the line double pane.

Installers were pretty good and everything was delivered as promised. they look very nice.

Do a search on Unified.. a very mixed rep.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 AM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Daystar Windows Distributors

I have installed about 500 windows and doors bought from them and never a problem ...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Good question, I'm interested to see the answers as well

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 98,658 times
I just bought 17 Anderson high performance plus windows.

11 double hung
5 basement
and 1 casment left opening for over the kitchen sink.

Got them directly at the Windorama warehouse in Deer Park.

Came out to about $5600.00. IMO the best windows hands down.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 60,319 times
I dealt in 1990 with Daystar and purchased a dozen Certainteed/Simonton windows and have only great results.The two Andersons I had installed in 1987 are already in poor mechanical condition.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
My wife and I just did this a few months ago actually.

It came down to Tri-State vs Alpha. In the end, we went with Tri-State. They had a good price, lifetime warranty, and good windows.

I did the basement windows first, and it made a HUGE difference in the basement (they were the old wood ones, rotted and falling apart).

The install crew was good, but a little rough around the edges personality wise, but their installs were good.

PM me if you want more details, we racked our head around this for months before making our decision so I know your struggle.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:45 PM

127 posts, read 747,606 times
Is it true than any windows from lowes/depot are crap? Even if they are a name brand like Pella and energy star rated?

I realize they may not be the most high end in the world, but for someone looking for a med-gerade window for a house they will be in for 10 years or so, what do you think?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
Is it true than any windows from lowes/depot are crap? Even if they are a name brand like Pella and energy star rated?

I realize they may not be the most high end in the world, but for someone looking for a med-gerade window for a house they will be in for 10 years or so, what do you think?
They sell the Pella Pro line which is fine , some home owners don't even know they can deal with Pella , Marvin , Anderson direct and bargin with them on a price and the cost of installation , i would choose a Pella over a Anderson anyday just a better constructed product
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island