Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Currently live in Phx, but was born in Long Island (Lindenhurst). Only lived there until I was 7 or 8 so I cant say I have any real adult perspective on living there.

There are plenty of people who come to Phx from NY exclaiming how much better it is in Phx just because it has cleaner manicured streets, (almost too manicured for my taste, looks artificial & corny to me). Other big selling points of Phx are the constant sunshine and lack of rain, snow and other undesirable weather elements, but this is also something I dont currently have an issue with at this point in my life.

I have visited many times to see some family that still cling to Long Island life and whenever I go there, mostly on vacations of course, I just like it alot better even for all the flaws it has. I like the beaches, the seasons, mass transit and the kind of village setup the island has as opposed to the "clean" gigantic coreless ball of a city that Phx is. I even prefer the more direct blunt NY personality as opposed to people here who smile at me in their driveways but probably gossip about me behind my back... Anyhow...

Has anyone left LI, moved to Phx (or anywhere else they at first though was better) and then come running back to LI with a renewed appreciation?

People in Phx all tell me I dont like it here because I havent experienced the real trashiness of NY and anyone who leaves here comes back only to kiss the desert floor. I am HIGHLY doubtful this would be the case. I hate the desert, the artificial environment, and being surrounded by people who are always complaining about some twist of the weather and slamming the places they came from.

For this thread I want to know about people that may feel similar or different about their moves away or back to LI rather than discuss cost of living etc. I can google the factual stuff, so am more interested in hearing personal experiences with life on LI.

I also have twin boys 12yrs old, so anyone with comparisons to phx schools as opposed to LI schools please share. Reports show Az as in the very bottom of the education dept, so it seems the only way is up from here, but I dont put a lot of weight on general statistics.

Thanks!!

Last edited by cmist; 11-16-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
It is also hot as heck in PHX. I'd take LI weather anyday, not to mention, I like a change of season. I like the fact that in a years time I can go to the beach and go skiing and everything in between. Not to mention, fall time, the foliage is just beautiful in this part of this country. Wouldn't move even if ya paid me.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM

85 posts, read 233,382 times
I feel exactly the same ! I left LI wanting to run away from Hempstead Tpke, strip malls, guidos, attitudes, and all the big hair. Wound up in Tempe at ASU for 3 1/2 years and couldn't wait to come back to NY. In NY everything and everyone is real and that is golden ! Once I got to know more than Sunrise Highway, South Nassau, Merrick road, and all the usual suspects, I now cannot imagine living anywhere else. There is real culture here, great foods of every country, skiing and other outdoor stuff, and just a million interesting people here. Come back ! AZ is nice to visit, but I'd never live there again!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
I feel the same same except I am in Florida. I only came here for my husband's job. He was out of work for almost a year in NY. I wasn't. I lived in Florida in 1971 when I was 22 and lasted 6 months. I have been here for over 2 years now. My daughters are still living on LI. My younger one just got married and bought a house in Leviittown. I want to see my grandkids born and grow. I want to see real TREES. I want COLD and 4 seasons. I want to hear people speak the way I speak. I want to die in the state where I was born, raised, and my kids grew up.

I just plain want to go HOME.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 PM

125 posts, read 252,593 times
Hey cmist, I live in Lindenhurst now and I cant wait to get out of here. Its basically a blue collar neighborhood and the people are nice but I HATE the way it looks. Theres a lot of white trash or people that just dont have enough money to update their house a bit. I lived in CO and OH and at first I was happy to come back to NY but that lasted about 1 yr and Ive been wanting to move out of here for the past 10. Its expensive and old and the beach is nice but its so cold most of the time that you cant get to enjoy it anyway. Im still in the process of moving to AZ in July and I cant wait.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it

Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
Hey cmist, I live in Lindenhurst now and I cant wait to get out of here. Its basically a blue collar neighborhood and the people are nice but I HATE the way it looks. Theres a lot of white trash or people that just dont have enough money to update their house a bit. I lived in CO and OH and at first I was happy to come back to NY but that lasted about 1 yr and Ive been wanting to move out of here for the past 10. Its expensive and old and the beach is nice but its so cold most of the time that you cant get to enjoy it anyway. Im still in the process of moving to AZ in July and I cant wait.
Hey Rammie!

Fancy meetin' you here, lol... I didnt know you were in Lindenhurst!

I thought I might be glamorizing it a bit in my mind, so I came in here to get some NY attitude to set me straight. Seems that there are some who do follow their dreams of eternal sunshine, and end up missing 4 seasons. I would put myself in that camp.

I see its pretty expensive, yes, but old & cold sounds refreshing after literally melting 9 out of 12 months in a stucco mega-cloneville in the desert.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Good luck in AZ, it definitely works for some, but its not for me. Not sure Long Island would either, but I know I gotta get outa Phx!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 AM

292 posts, read 820,097 times
There are plenty of places you can get 4 seasons that you don't have to come to NY.

What can you afford?

I couldn't see living in the desert either. Visited Phoenix and that was enough for me!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Hey Rammie!

Fancy meetin' you here, lol... I didnt know you were in Lindenhurst!

I thought I might be glamorizing it a bit in my mind, so I came in here to get some NY attitude to set me straight. Seems that there are some who do follow their dreams of eternal sunshine, and end up missing 4 seasons. I would put myself in that camp.

I see its pretty expensive, yes, but old & cold sounds refreshing after literally melting 9 out of 12 months in a stucco mega-cloneville in the desert.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Good luck in AZ, it definitely works for some, but its not for me. Not sure Long Island would either, but I know I gotta get outa Phx!!!
I understand wanting opinions on a region but keep in mind, LI differs from shore to shore and east to west. It is 100+ miles long. Sayville compared to Lindenhurst compared to Lynbrook compared to Kings Park are each different in their own right. Different downtowns, entirely different schools, different parks/beaches. But your desire to leave AZ cloneville can also leave a lot of the country, even if only the eastern seaboard, open to you. I like where I am in LI, but can not compare it to AX aside from business trips. Good luck in your research.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM

125 posts, read 252,593 times
Hey Cmist, I look at AZ and LI forums so you will find me in both...lol....LI does differ very much for such a small area compared to others in the US. I would keep visiting your family and friends that you have here and come in the middle of January and let me know how the beach is then...lol...you get my drift though....Im looking for newer and more of the clone type because here, you may have a beautiful house, nice lawn, etc and right next to it is a house that looks like it should be in a land fill...lol....good luck to you and Im sure I will see you around these forums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island