Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemethis View Post
teachers get free health benefits with no or low co-pays. To clarify that for you, that means that teachers don't pay anything out of their paycheck for their benefits. They are all free. Then when they go to their doctor, they pay nothing or very little.

Hard to see why you got a 980 on your sats.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

75 posts, read 292,625 times
With all this ranting and raving about teachers and how "great" they have it, why don't you all just go back to school and get a Masters in Ed. and join in. Spend 3 days in a classroom in any school, and see if your feelings remain the same. It's easy to criticize without ever walking in someones shoes. Having been both in the corporate world and education, I can tell you it is not any easier in a classroom. I am more tired from teaching, grading, prepping and meeting with parents than I ever was in an office. That being said, I appreciate my paycheck, my benefits and all that come with being an educator. That's why I signed up. I complain once in awhile because it's human nature, not because I begrudge the investment banker making millions.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
everyone pays for healthcare...it's called "we're not canada"
Some people like teachers have the Canada health care style and more because they are in a union and they have a double whammy over union workers in the private sector, whose company has to make a profit to stay in business and pay them because they are paid out of the taxpayers' money and it's a wild party with the union officials and the politicians because the sky's the limit. What other "professional" is in a union but a teacher in the NY tri-state area? And they expect to be seen on a par with professions who can hold their own without unions (like attorneys, etc.). So what happens? Teachers in the rest of the country are humble public servants paid modestly. Our teachers get into the 6 figures with experience, benefits fully paid for some and low contributions for others, have pensions they don't have to contribute to while the rest of us are stuck with crappy 401ks that our employer doesn't have to give a dime to, etc.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Teachers get free health benefits with no or low co-pays. To clarify that for you, that means that teachers don't pay anything out of their paycheck for their benefits. They are all free. Then when they go to their doctor, they pay nothing or very little.

Hard to see why you got a 980 on your SATs.
what's your point? I pay a very little co-pay as well.

and that isn't true for all teachers...b/c my friends who are teachers do get it taken from their paychecks.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Some people like teachers have the Canada health care style and more because they are in a union and they have a double whammy over union workers in the private sector, whose company has to make a profit to stay in business and pay them because they are paid out of the taxpayers' money and it's a wild party with the union officials and the politicians because the sky's the limit. What other "professional" is in a union but a teacher in the NY tri-state area? And they expect to be seen on a par with professions who can hold their own without unions (like attorneys, etc.). So what happens? Teachers in the rest of the country are humble public servants paid modestly. Our teachers get into the 6 figures with experience, benefits fully paid for some and low contributions for others, have pensions they don't have to contribute to while the rest of us are stuck with crappy 401ks that our employer doesn't have to give a dime to, etc.
steamfitters, freelancers, electricians

Old 10-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap190 View Post
With all this ranting and raving about teachers and how "great" they have it, why don't you all just go back to school and get a Masters in Ed. and join in. Spend 3 days in a classroom in any school, and see if your feelings remain the same. It's easy to criticize without ever walking in someones shoes. Having been both in the corporate world and education, I can tell you it is not any easier in a classroom. I am more tired from teaching, grading, prepping and meeting with parents than I ever was in an office. That being said, I appreciate my paycheck, my benefits and all that come with being an educator. That's why I signed up. I complain once in awhile because it's human nature, not because I begrudge the investment banker making millions.
sit in an office til 10pm during busy season and tell me you're not tired.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 PM

75 posts, read 292,625 times
Don't want to sit in an office until 10 during busy season. That's kind of my point. We all made choices at some point. As one of my wealthier friends always says to me whenever I complain "that is the career you chose". It's true. I chose to get up at 5:30 every morning to be at work by 7:15 and then home by 4. I like what I do, I get paid well and I like my job more days than I don't. Don't hate us because we want to get paid. I'm sure you want raises too.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap190 View Post
Don't want to sit in an office until 10 during busy season. That's kind of my point. We all made choices at some point. As one of my wealthier friends always says to me whenever I complain "that is the career you chose". It's true. I chose to get up at 5:30 every morning to be at work by 7:15 and then home by 4. I like what I do, I get paid well and I like my job more days than I don't. Don't hate us because we want to get paid. I'm sure you want raises too.
You get paid well...exactly. I don't know why teachers complain that they are so underpaid. They obviously work real hard...but so does everyone else. They get paid for 12 months when they only work for 9. I am so sick of teachers complaining they are underpaid. Ya know who is underpaid? The office people who sit in offices til 10pm and aren't paid by the hour. Luckily for me, I get overtime.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Teachers get free health benefits with no or low co-pays. To clarify that for you, that means that teachers don't pay anything out of their paycheck for their benefits. They are all free. Then when they go to their doctor, they pay nothing or very little.

Hard to see why you got a 980 on your SATs.
That is so untrue. Every teacher in America pays for their healthcare. It isn't cheap at all. Where do you get this info???

Get the facts correct before you post.

As a teacher I wish I had free healthcare!!!! I pay for my benefits every paycheck just like everybody else! I have NEVER heard of a teacher with free health benefits ever!

(Oh, and my copay isn't that small. My brother who works in the private sector has a smaller copay than me)

No wonder people think teachers have it so great....they are so misinformed. I love my job as a teacher, but get your facts straight!!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
That is so untrue. Every teacher in America pays for their healthcare. It isn't cheap at all. Where do you get this info???

Get the facts correct before you post.

As a teacher I wish I had free healthcare!!!! I pay for my benefits every paycheck just like everybody else! I have NEVER heard of a teacher with free health benefits ever!

(Oh, and my copay isn't that small. My brother who works in the private sector has a smaller copay than me)

No wonder people think teachers have it so great....they are so misinformed. I love my job as a teacher, but get your facts straight!!!!
I work in private sector. I pay a $10 co-pay. Teachers are not the only ones with low co-pays (as previously mentioned by another poster).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island