Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM

130 posts, read 743,951 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if you have a piece of furniture you want to throw out do you need to get a special tag or something for the trash truck to take it? I only ask because I put cardboard boxes out one time and they didn't take those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM

852 posts, read 2,019,083 times
Default I've never had to (East Northport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
Anyone know if you have a piece of furniture you want to throw out do you need to get a special tag or something for the trash truck to take it? I only ask because I put cardboard boxes out one time and they didn't take those.
I've put out as many as 25 trash bags before and have never had a problem getting them taken away. I love my trash people!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
I think it has to be 4 feet or less. Or maybe they were waiting for recycling to get it instead? And if it's a big piece of furniture they should send over another truck, but the one time I had to throw out my dryer I called ahead to the sanitation dept and asked for it.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
If you are in Brookhaven: you call for a special pick up on furniture like sofas, large dressers.

Cardboard is collected every other week -- it alternates with glass/plastic recycling.

451-TOWN can put you in touch with the info you need.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,182,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
This could depend on the Town you're in.

The cardboard boxes would go out when they pick up newspapers and should be broken down - happens every other week.

In the Town of Huntington, small pieces, i.e. chairs, can go out any day of trash pick-up, larger items should be put by the curb on the second pick-up day of the week. For refrigerators or similar items you call the appropriate refuse company (should be on the Town calendar indicating who serves your area) a day ahead and let them know; put the item by the curb no earlier than the evening before pick-up and that should be all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island