Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Take it up with Newsday pal ;)

Crab Meadow Beach Northport NY

Crooks

As you well know, Crooks, NEWSDAY rather consistently misreports the location of a place as being in the community named in that place's mailing address when most of these places are not in the community that is named in their mailing address.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM

42 posts, read 144,184 times
Callahans Beach is another option. It's on 25A just west of sunken meadow pkwy in the Smithtown side of Fort Salonga. Crab Meadow may be better since it has the pavillion if it rains. Both are nice.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Fort Salonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I still don't get Crab Meadow being in Fort Salonga. When you're driving East on 25A you hit a sign that says Fort Salonga, right about where Bottle Bargains is. I see Fort Salonga as going from there until about the Sunken Meadow Parkway, where Kings Park starts.

OnOurWayHome, the geography of the Hamlet of Fort Salonga can be quite confusing because Fort Salonga is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Fort Salonga:

Fort Salonga is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the northeast part of the Town Huntington and partly in the northwest part of the Town of Smithtown, Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga in the Towns of Huntington and Smithtown is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown; on the south by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Huntington, by the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington; and, on the west by the Village of Northport and the Village of Asharoken in the Town of Huntington.

Fort Salonga is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Fort Salonga have a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Kings Park, NY 11754" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
As you well know, Crooks, NEWSDAY rather consistently misreports the location of a place as being in the community named in that place's mailing address when most of these places are not in the community that is named in their mailing address.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

I'm clear...and have actually been there.

Crooks

Old 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM

42 posts, read 144,184 times
I think it's supposed to say in Huntington by the hamlet of East Northport not by Huntington. I live there and I'm confused when I read that.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
Callahans Beach is another option. It's on 25A just west of sunken meadow pkwy in the Smithtown side of Fort Salonga.

Even though it may be in the eastern part of the Hamlet of Fort Salonga that is in the Town of Smithtown, just like Crab Meadow Beach, Callahans Beach, too, is in Fort Salonga ("Northport, NY 11768" mailing address) because the "Northport, NY 11768" ZIP Code extends eastward over the Huntington/Smithtown town line, and there are places with a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address in the Town of Smithtown.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Default Try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I live in Commack. I am looking for a park to have a family picnic in. I am not interested in Sunken Meadow or Blydenburg. I am looking for a place that has tables and a BBQ pit. I also am looking for a place that has a playground and maybe a lake/river, some body of water. Any suggestions that would not entail me driving for ever? Thanks.
Hoyt Farm on New Highway is a pretty neat place for a BBQ/picnic. They have pavilions in case of rain, a petting zoo (or at least they did a few years back) and a relatively new playground as well. I don't believe it satisfies your water source requirement but you certainly can't beat the convenience considering you're in Commack.

We had a rather large family picnic there several years ago and we had a great time.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Hoyt Farm on New Highway is a pretty neat place for a BBQ/picnic. They have pavilions in case of rain, a petting zoo (or at least they did a few years back) and a relatively new playground as well. I don't believe it satisfies your water source requirement but you certainly can't beat the convenience considering you're in Commack.

We had a rather large family picnic there several years ago and we had a great time.
I second Hoyt Farm! One of the organizations I belong to has an annual picnic there - it lends itself perfectly for that!
There's some sort of water play thingy for young kids (sorry, mine are grown, didn't pay that much attention )
here's a link Welcome to the Town of Smithtown

There is a parking fee if you're not a Smithtown resident, so carpooling would save $$.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
Just stay out of East Hills!
Village of East Hills

Known as Long Island's only "park" that will throw you in jail if you sneak in!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
Callahans Beach is another option. It's on 25A just west of sunken meadow pkwy in the Smithtown side of Fort Salonga. Crab Meadow may be better since it has the pavillion if it rains. Both are nice.
Is Callahans a town beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island