Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,107 times

Advertisements

But is that the fault of the SCPD or the people elected by the residents of Suffolk County who agreed to the contract and who keep burdening their constituents with heavy taxes and fees? The residents of Suffolk could demand more from their elected officials but they don't, so who is at fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I didn't know the Island still had a middle class.
Dont feed the homesick

Crooks

Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times
Quote:
But is that the fault of the SCPD or the people elected by the residents of Suffolk County who agreed to the contract and who keep burdening their constituents with heavy taxes and fees? The residents of Suffolk could demand more from their elected officials but they don't, so who is at fault?
What are we supposed to do when the PBA and the teacher's unions practically bribe the politicians? It seems pretty obvious to me that a certain Suffolk County Legislator and a certain US Congressman have made some under the table deals with the PBA.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes they are. And people get angry paying sky high taxes on top of their other exorbitant living expenses supporting civil servants in the manner to which they cannot support themselves. Yes, LI is certainly out of whack in that respect!
AGAIN;

When Taxes go up on LI it's not because of police salaries.....It's the SCHOOL SYSTEM. Do you ever read the breakdown they send you more than 2/3 of the taxes go to schools. Your paying mostly for administrative costs, with all the separate districts. Down here it's a countywide system, much more cost efficient and more fiscal responsible. A big reason why your paying more than 79% above the national average in taxes but again it's easier to blame the police Last year the Chesterfield police hammered out a nice contract (good for them) and you know how much my taxes went up.......take a guess...............zero(o).............. NASSAU COUNTY doesn't have the ability to budget my son's allowance....let alone the County

Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 67,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz123 View Post

First lets take some places considered upper class or middle upper class:

Garden City:$129,850
Rockville Centre $98,900
Jericho $126,486
Woodbury $152,869
East Hills $186,626
East Williston $136,002
I don't know where you get your data, but these figures look more like Upper Middle Class to Lower Upper Class on Long Island than what you describe.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,487 times
Default Maybe in Topeka, KS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
I don't know where you get your data, but these figures look more like Upper Middle Class to Lower Upper Class on Long Island than what you describe.
I made about $130k a year living on the North Shore of Long Island and fell behind every month. And trust me, I lived a very middle class existence.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
What are we supposed to do when the PBA and the teacher's unions practically bribe the politicians? It seems pretty obvious to me that a certain Suffolk County Legislator and a certain US Congressman have made some under the table deals with the PBA.
Do you have proof of that?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,335,869 times
Quote:
Not just Suffolk or Nassau, it's also a State government issue.

Eventually all these politicians will have their heads chopped off and not be reelected. Hopefully the ones elected will be different.

I foresee us getting so desperate that we go like California with a moratorium on raising property tax.

Although I don't know if that is going to be any great deal either of course.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
AGAIN;

When Taxes go up on LI it's not because of police salaries.....It's the SCHOOL SYSTEM. Do you ever read the breakdown they send you more than 2/3 of the taxes go to schools. Your paying mostly for administrative costs, with all the separate districts. Down here it's a countywide system, much more cost efficient and more fiscal responsible. A big reason why your paying more than 79% above the national average in taxes but again it's easier to blame the police Last year the Chesterfield police hammered out a nice contract (good for them) and you know how much my taxes went up.......take a guess...............zero(o).............. NASSAU COUNTY doesn't have the ability to budget my son's allowance....let alone the County
This is the best line of the thread. LOL!

Yes, you are right. The SDs are the major money eaters with major personnel and expenses.

There are way less police officers.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have proof of that?
Maybe he's talking about PACs (Political Action Committees), lobbying, campaign contributions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island