Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 PM

674 posts, read 1,156,339 times

Advertisements

I was at Costco earlier and two employees were talking and I heard their conversation. They were talking about salary in working at Costco, this guy was saying with over time and time and a half; he made over $100K.

I don't know any thing about him; no idea how many years he worked there or his title. He looked like my age mid to late 30's. I went to four years college to get BS and I got MBA which took three years. I am not making over 100K, I could if I go to City but I can't go there for some other reasons.

I am not jealous that guy is making good money but I am shocked to learn that you can make good money working at Costco.

Your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
[SIZE=3]I was at Costco earlier and two employees were talking and I heard their conversation. They were talking about salary in working at Costco, this guy was saying with over time and time and a half; he made over $100K. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I don't know any thing about him; no idea how many years he worked there or his title. He looked like my age mid to late 30's. I went to four years college to get BS and I got MBA which took three years. I am not making over 100K, I could if I go to City but I can't go there for some other reasons. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am not jealous that guy is making good money but I am shocked to learn that you can make good money working at Costco. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Your thoughts? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
what's with all the [/SIZE] tags throughout?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM

674 posts, read 1,156,339 times
sorry for the tags... I wrote this on a email to my wife then I cut and paste it here. It came with all funny tags. I deleted it. You need to refresh your screen.

Last edited by samnyc; 08-04-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times
Maybe he's a senior level manager at that particular Costco store? Figure he makes at least $40 - 60k base plus overtime. Dosent seem that odd to me.

Yeah, if he was like a worker at the registers, the person who scribbles a magic marker over your receipt, or a floor worker then I would be very surprised.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I was at Costco earlier and two employees were talking and I heard their conversation. They were talking about salary in working at Costco, this guy was saying with over time and time and a half; he made over $100K.

I don't know any thing about him; no idea how many years he worked there or his title. He looked like my age mid to late 30's. I went to four years college to get BS and I got MBA which took three years. I am not making over 100K, I could if I go to City but I can't go there for some other reasons.

I am not jealous that guy is making good money but I am shocked to learn that you can make good money working at Costco.

Your thoughts?

Fill out an application. With your education you should be running the place in no time.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,594,689 times
I know a girl who has worked at Home Depot for 21 years, customer service.
She has over 1.4 mill in stock optons.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Maybe he's a senior level manager at that particular Costco store? Figure he makes at least $40 - 60k base plus overtime. Dosent seem that odd to me.

Yeah, if he was like a worker at the registers, the person who scribbles a magic marker over your receipt, or a floor worker then I would be very surprised.
I thought management level employees generally don't get OT.

Maybe Costco has union employees.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 PM

175 posts, read 657,780 times
Costco is a private (meaning not gov't) company, who cares what they make? God bless 'em if they can get it. If their salaries starts to impact your cost, then don't go. But until then, good for them. It's not like they are civil service employees that are being paid with your tax dollars. I couldn't care if they make a million dollars a year as long as my taxes aren't paying for it. Furthermore, it's not like they have tenure or a state funded pension, they can get canned if they aren't performing their jobs at a certain level.

At the risk of getting this thread locked I won't mention which people's salaries I DO have a problem with, but I think we can do the math.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
No offense but I think it's a bit snobby (and I really hate that term but can't think of a better word) just to think that because someone works at Costco instead of at a desk all day that they can't make good money. As someone else posted for all you know he is a regional manager or something.

I worked at Friendly's when I was in college and the store manager was 27 years old. It was a busy store and one of the other waitresses, who was an older woman and very friendly with the manager, told me she made $75K with bonus, etc. The hours were so horrible and stressful she ended up leaving to be ... an air traffic controller (yes, really).

There are lots of jobs where you'd be surprised how much money people make.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM

270 posts, read 970,152 times
2 years ago, the average Costco employee was making $17.25 an hour according to this article: Warehouse clubs 5/07: Costco, Sam's club (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/shopping/where-to-buy/warehouse-clubs-5-07/overview/0507_ware_ov.htm - broken link)

One salary site has New York Costco employees earning $19.79 on average: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Costco_Wholesale_company/Hourly_Rate/by_State (broken link)

Costco treats its employees really well from what I've read and seen. As a customer of Costco, I can also say that they treat the customer pretty good too. The prices aren't always as good as Sam's or BJ's, but their customer service and no-hassle return policy (even for items bought online) keep me coming back.

That they are able to save me money and treat their employees right speaks a great deal about a company run well.

As for your own personal situation - it sounds like you've either sold yourself short or entered into the wrong career/company. I don't know what parameters surround your decision to be where you are, but with a BS and an MBA, I would not be settling for less than 6 figures (assuming the position I'm in actually benefits from the degrees - again, it sounds like perhaps you're in the wrong career for your educational background.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island