Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,589 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to the North Fork, but I am concerned about the schools for my boys. Which district is better? Please tell me all the details that you know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 AM

24 posts, read 51,113 times
Default School choice

Mattituck would be the better choice! (IMHO) I have lived in Cutchogue/Southold for 44 years now I graduated from Mattituck in 1983 , was a different school then, my graduating class was 145 students, i believe my sons class size was around 125-130, 2008 & 2009 grads. Mattituck is now ranked 124th out of 664 districts. (schooldigger.com) Great teachers, small class size I believe its around 20-25 students. I have had to sons graduate from Mattituck and both loved the school. one problem i guess with both schools are the kids with wealthy parents, free to do what they want,clicky (sp?) groups, keeping up with the "joneses" ,clothes, cars, toys etc. it didnt bother my boys but some kids feel kept/left out. school parking lots are full of lexus, mercedes, audis, oh and one student at mattitiuck has a viper! I asked my son why he took his fathers cars to school, he said it wasn't it was his car! holy cow , Southold schools used to be better but seem to me that they are going down hill, my third son goes to Southold he is now in third grade. we had issues with one teacher she was a problem, but apparently with other parents as well. Southold ranks 342nd of 664 New York school districts i dont think its a bad school just not as good as it used to be, same money issues (very wealthy parents) there as well. it is an absolutely a beautiful area to raise a family. never locked the doors growing up, and still dont. feels very safe, but changing. its the playground for the rich, and you have to be to live here. Taxes are thru the roof, overpaid teachers (only ones i dont mind paying extra for), police, town work force, etc. and they will be going up alot in the next few years. Southold town lost alot of money in investments (pension funds) and are going to make up for the millions lost with taxes, alot of taxes!!! I pay close to $12,000 a year for taxes ON ONE ACRE in Southold! rediculious. you get nothing for your money, oh yea they pick up your yard debris, branches and leaves in the spring and fall you buy the bags for the leaves, BIG DEAL, you pay for a dump sticker, buy town garbage bags, beach stickers. (should be included in your TAXES!!) if you have money, alot of money they will love you, if not locals are made to feel......lets say beneath them. I have watched the North Forks demise and it is tough to watch, the middle class gets screwed, no affordable housing, while the rich do what they want, and look down there nose at you. we are out of here had enough, just picked a bad time to sell. oh well. want our house LOL!! anyway i have blabbed enough anythig else you need just ask. Good luck with your move, best wishes

Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Wow, sad to hear the North Fork got snobby too. Fire Island is getting snobby too, never used to be like that years ago.
At least the Pine Barrens aren't snobby....yet. With the McMansions popping up in Manorville it's bound to change. Oh well, at least there's always Down Jersey, where the snobs fear to go...LOL.
At least the chicks look nice but they wont let anyone with red blood touch them, gotta be blue blood..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Long lost North Fork

yes, it went from a sleepy farm town, you chances of being hit by a tractor was greater than a car. i used to ride my bike on the main road, never any cars, (1970-72) now try it. turned into an overpopulated, over rated, cater to the rich town. you cant even get out of you driveway. and NO courtesy anymore, what, stop and let someone in!! its more like get out of my way Im rich. I want a Mercedes, 1. stop lights and stop signs are optional , 2. you can just pull out in front of anyone you want and go 5 mph, 3. you can park your car anywhere you want, yes even in the middle of the road in town or where ever.(your expected to just go around) Yo, you got a problem with that ! locals are treated like crap. sad so very sad. like i said time to go, just missed our chance of cashing out by a couple of years. remember when the locals could actually get tickets for the Cutchougue Fire Dept chicken barbeque, LOL, and the strawberry festival used to be at the high school, small, and 95% were locals! not any more. all about $$$$ out here now.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 AM

164 posts, read 458,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVTOFLY View Post
Mattituck would be the better choice! (IMHO) I have lived in Cutchogue/Southold for 44 years now I graduated from Mattituck in 1983 , was a different school then, my graduating class was 145 students, i believe my sons class size was around 125-130, 2008 & 2009 grads. Mattituck is now ranked 124th out of 664 districts. (schooldigger.com) Great teachers, small class size I believe its around 20-25 students. I have had to sons graduate from Mattituck and both loved the school. one problem i guess with both schools are the kids with wealthy parents, free to do what they want,clicky (sp?) groups, keeping up with the "joneses" ,clothes, cars, toys etc. it didnt bother my boys but some kids feel kept/left out. school parking lots are full of lexus, mercedes, audis, oh and one student at mattitiuck has a viper! I asked my son why he took his fathers cars to school, he said it wasn't it was his car! holy cow , Southold schools used to be better but seem to me that they are going down hill, my third son goes to Southold he is now in third grade. we had issues with one teacher she was a problem, but apparently with other parents as well. Southold ranks 342nd of 664 New York school districts i dont think its a bad school just not as good as it used to be, same money issues (very wealthy parents) there as well. it is an absolutely a beautiful area to raise a family. never locked the doors growing up, and still dont. feels very safe, but changing. its the playground for the rich, and you have to be to live here. Taxes are thru the roof, overpaid teachers (only ones i dont mind paying extra for), police, town work force, etc. and they will be going up alot in the next few years. Southold town lost alot of money in investments (pension funds) and are going to make up for the millions lost with taxes, alot of taxes!!! I pay close to $12,000 a year for taxes ON ONE ACRE in Southold! rediculious. you get nothing for your money, oh yea they pick up your yard debris, branches and leaves in the spring and fall you buy the bags for the leaves, BIG DEAL, you pay for a dump sticker, buy town garbage bags, beach stickers. (should be included in your TAXES!!) if you have money, alot of money they will love you, if not locals are made to feel......lets say beneath them. I have watched the North Forks demise and it is tough to watch, the middle class gets screwed, no affordable housing, while the rich do what they want, and look down there nose at you. we are out of here had enough, just picked a bad time to sell. oh well. want our house LOL!! anyway i have blabbed enough anythig else you need just ask. Good luck with your move, best wishes
I was happy to see a post about the north fork... I had no idea it became snooty. I have heard from a local farming family that when corcoran came to the north fork from the hamptons, they were the start of inflated home prices and the changes that followed. We have family in Cutchogue. They moved out there some 16-17 years ago and love it. My niece and nephew graduated Mattituck/Cutchogue and loved the school as well. My nephew probably knows your son's, he graduated the same time... We are out there all the time and have grown to love it as well. For many years we wanted to move there , we dragged our feet because it's hard to leave when you like where you live.. so it's not that we do not like it here, it's about changing a life style .. as time went on, our kids got older and did not want to leave their house, school and friends. We just love the country feel, it is so different than "up island" I also see how much it has changed with more and more people going out that way and how built up it has become. The visitor population has more than tripled from a few years back which add's to it. My biggest question mark about moving is about a kids life out there. Is it good for them socially? Is it easy to make friends at school, in the neighborhood etc? My niece and nephew have a nice circle of friends.. never heard them complain about the kids out there or feeling like they were in competition with anyone , so I was surprised to hear that ..

ps...12K in taxes? you must be in a new development? Angel Shores?? not all taxes out there are that high, from what I have seen is the new houses are taxed higher ..there is a cute old farm house in New Suffolk with taxes of 1800.00 a year..I almost fell off my chair, our village tax alone is 1000.00 more , than what they pay all year... I have also seen many houses from the 4000.00-to 8000.00 range with an acre plus... out here we pay 15K a year for a half acre lot and need to send our kids to catholic school on top of that..I always felt out there you got so much more for your money in the land and great schools alone.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Overrated North Fork

Amitygirl,
Its a great social life for the kids of the wealthy, boating, sailing, kyacking, beaches, etc. if you have the abilty to enjoy these activities, most kids (middle class homes) have to work, some holding two jobs, and dont get the opportunity for that type of lifestyle. i find that there really isn't that much to do for most of the teeenagers on the North Fork in general. my kids have good circle of friends that they are close to and do alot together so socially they do fine. neighbor hoods vary from area to area if your in a subdivision or they will have other friends close, walking or biking distance, but generally i drive my sons where they need to go. and yes there is the keeping up with latest fashion, who"s driving what, having the latest and greatest phones, i-pods, I-phone, electronic nonsense of the 21st century. at least in the upper grades, 11-12.
Yes, $12,000 year in taxes on an acre ,the town had our house accessed at over $1,000,000+, we would not have be able to sell for that even in 2006!!! we fought with the town over this for a while and finally they aggreed to lower them, but said they couldn,t do it for two years, our taxes will go down to about $9000 still thousands tooo much! our neighbor has i think 3 or 4 acres and theirs are close to $16,000. no we are not in a subdivision just a private acre near Horton Point lighthouse area. That cute little farm house in New Suffolk, well probably owned by the same family for years with no improvements, when you buy it they would go up, do any remodeling you get re-acessed for higher taxes, add a pool, a deck, taxes, up, up, up. so that $1800 a year, priceless, wait till you buy it! yes you get more out here in ammenities, beautiful beaches, parks, great schools, safe area, but no services. things are changing on the east end fast with gangs and violence on the rise, yes on the North Fork, MS-13 in Greeport, there here. robberies, Home invasions, it happens here! we do lock our doors at nite and have been fo a few years.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
12k on one full acre in LI is actually....reasonable, relative to other areas of high-priced LI. You are looking at an easy 12k in taxes in plenty of other towns throughout Nassau and Suffolk, on way less than an acre.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 AM

164 posts, read 458,217 times
LUVTOFLY

Thank you for sharing.
I honestly was not aware of the changes. I always knew that Greenport and Riverhead had their problems from way back, but did not know the extent. You are truly the first person from out there that I am hearing this from so I am a little taken back from being made aware. Locking doors? That was never even heard of out there. I think these kids today are all the same with who has what.. it’s not only out there, it’s everywhere. believe me. This you will never get away from.

I know your area well. It is a beautiful area! We have friends in Southold. One is on Kenny’s and the other is on Soundview. My kids love Horton Point… they love going down the steps to the beach. .they counted them one time, I think it’s 120..lol! I am sorry to hear you want to leave. It is my favorite part of the island . It’s a different feeling out there then the rest of the island. I am sad to hear of the changes.

What kills me about moving out there is when you buy a house or land, you have to pay the Peconic Land Trust 2% at closing..so say we bought a house at 500K, the Peconic Land trust would get 10K . They say it is to buy the land so developers do not get it all and I understand them wanting to do that, but when I am out there they are building every where..so I always wondered how much land were they actually buying.. it is a lot of money to fork over. .between that and closing costs is a lot just to move in

High taxes is everywhere unfortunately … the only way to get away from it is to move out of state… I am happy they will lower yours, good for you!! We never grieved but I think we should give it a try.. can’t hurt. If you leave the North Fork, where are you considering to go?? Remember there is crime everywhere. .the MS-13 gangs are every where also.. unfortunately many areas change over time and usually not for the better …. Seems it’s something we can not get away from, especially now that the economy is down, this usually brings more of it… terrible

Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 AM

91 posts, read 473,848 times
In 2007 the SAT scores were 1562 for Southold and 1534 for Mattituck. Similar.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
12k on one full acre in LI is actually....reasonable, relative to other areas of high-priced LI. You are looking at an easy 12k in taxes in plenty of other towns throughout Nassau and Suffolk, on way less than an acre.
Profess, your kidding right, resonable, 12k for what, over paid police and teachers (dont mind paying for the second but 80k-120k for teachers ??) and no services, you can have it.

Amitygirl
you have to pay the Peconic Land Trust 2% at closing ???

I have never heard of this, if this is true they WOULD have to shoot me to pay those CROOKS 2%, to move here? shady group, they only have their own agendas in mind, what a joke

and yes we lock our doors at nite, google home invasions, even in southold they happen, NEVER EVER used to!! very sad

Save whats left, hahahahahahahahaha WHATS LEFT!!!!

Go to the town and see what they have you accessed at and greive away, they will try to fight you, but, you have that right to get it LOWERED!!, our house was appraised at 685,000 in 2003 so they have had us WAY over accessed for years (by like $400,000), it was due to the increase in home sale prices, you taxes are a percentage of what Southold town accesses/appraises it for!! Southold is screwed, taxes are going higher, alot higher wait a couple of years, the town did it to themselves, now YOU will be paying for it, for years!! God willing we won't be, after 44 years of watching the demise of tha North Fork and the middle class being priced out of the area, the town can't understand why all the younger/senior families are going? How can they afford it!!! affordable housing, laughable. The harder choices is where to build them?, on what land? no in my back yard say the rich!!! Not bringing down my property value!!!! The town's latest idea of affordable housing, they threw up some sheds called "the cottages at Matttituck" what a joke. this helps how many families, NOT ENOUGH. but the town can say we have affordable housing! that only addresses about 1/8% of the people who really need it!!! read between the lines The Town only want the wealthy, try to get something changed in the town, you have money, No problem. Don't have money and you will get yes'ed to death and never get help. Been there!! I've been trying to start a program for teens told it was a great idea and got ZERO help, they yes you until you go away, or when you realize that they never intended to do anything!!! Priceless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island