Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 PM

8 posts, read 29,703 times

Advertisements

OK, I went through GC schools and had a good experience, but things have clearly changed. We are moving back to Glen Cove and are in the Deasy zone. Sooooooo... What's the deal? Do we go the All Saints route? Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
What are the changes you saw that would make you opt out? I thought GC schools were fairly highly regarded.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 29,703 times
LOW test scores and failing buildings...

Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
I honestly don't know anything about Glen Cove schools exept I have heard they are not that great due to an bad section of town (from someone who lives there) I could be wrong and I usually take rumors with a grain of salt.

Look at the NEWSAY report card and talk to people in the area to see what the real story is.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis24 View Post
LOW test scores and failing buildings...
Haven't heard about these buildings, but where are you seeing low test scores?

You won't find a more comprehensive set of data than that within the NY State School Report Cards (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=NASSAU&district=28010 0010000 - broken link) website.

Rankings-wise, it'd be a little higher than the middle of the pack for the entirety of Long Island.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,998 times
We just moved here from New Hampshire, and I am actually really impressed with the Deasy school (son in second grade). Compared to his school in New Hampshire, the class size/teacher ratio at Deasy is excellent (2 adults teaching 17 kids!). Also, we chose to move here because Glen Cove was pretty highly rated compared to most other Long Island schools (looking at numbers of kids graduating, going on to college, getting AP and Regents diplomas). Yes, if we had moved to a more expensive town (but we couldn't afford a decent house in the BEST school district), the buildings might be shinier--but really, having lived in other parts of the US and overseas, I can honestly say, Glen Cove Deasy school is actually better than any other school our son has attended.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,462 times
Default Mom of 2 Glen Cove Alumni

The quality of the educational experience at Glen Cove schools is top notch. Drive past the teacher parking lots after school to see the dedication that exists in the district. Glen Cove schools offers every imaginable after school program from athletics to music, chorus, law club, DECA, ski club, masquers, mathletes, robotics just to name a few. We have everything a student needs to compete on an international level. The truth is this: not every student takes advantage of all that's offered, you don't have 90% of the student population shooting for the same things. May I put it this way, what you have is a hidden secret bacause they do roll out the red carpet for their good students. That's what makes the district shine. I think self esteem is the most important part of developing sucessful children. My children always felt like they were the cream of the crop from kindergarten (the teacher came to our home to meet all his pupils duringthe summer, take a picture with their favorite toy and displayed all of them the first day of school) to HS graduation. My daughter has since graduated Princeton University and my son recently graduated George Washington University and yes both are working!!!!!!!!
I can't say enough about the district, it's been a wonderful 23 years here, a waterfront community on the North Shore of Long Island with a small town feel is the best way I can describe it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 AM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover23yrs View Post
The quality of the educational experience at Glen Cove schools is top notch. Drive past the teacher parking lots after school to see the dedication that exists in the district. Glen Cove schools offers every imaginable after school program from athletics to music, chorus, law club, DECA, ski club, masquers, mathletes, robotics just to name a few. We have everything a student needs to compete on an international level. The truth is this: not every student takes advantage of all that's offered, you don't have 90% of the student population shooting for the same things. May I put it this way, what you have is a hidden secret bacause they do roll out the red carpet for their good students. That's what makes the district shine. I think self esteem is the most important part of developing sucessful children. My children always felt like they were the cream of the crop from kindergarten (the teacher came to our home to meet all his pupils duringthe summer, take a picture with their favorite toy and displayed all of them the first day of school) to HS graduation. My daughter has since graduated Princeton University and my son recently graduated George Washington University and yes both are working!!!!!!!!
I can't say enough about the district, it's been a wonderful 23 years here, a waterfront community on the North Shore of Long Island with a small town feel is the best way I can describe it.
Wow! Sounds great.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,462 times
You can make an appointment to speak with the Superintendent any time. The administration is very welcoming to parents and newcomers to the district.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,193 times
It's not fair to paint a rosy picture of Glen Cove Schools with one anecdote. The schools are really suffering from the illegal immigrant situation there. There is no use hiding it. Please do your research before making that type of move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island