Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Patchogue Village has come a long way though.
If they could get the schools on track, they could become like a Babylon or Sayville.

I love an underdog, Im rootin for 'em.

Crooks

My kids go to patmed HS, i dont know WTF happened to the schools. My kids are complaining about how lazy the teachers are. 10 yrs ago, the schools were rated better than average, now they are at the bottom. I just dont get it. They kept raising my taxes year after year, while the grades kept going down. They wasted too much money on the reno of the HS and football field. Its a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM

126 posts, read 332,238 times
I'm the original poster. Examples to give proper perspective to the original question.

Say, 1st scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in Rockville Centre (highly regarded SD)
The 2nd house (the middle of the road, can move right in) is Mineola SD

2nd scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in East Williston SD (Wheatley)
2nd house (middle of the road, move right in) is in Lynbrook

3rd scenario:
1st house: Herricks SD
2nd house:Mineola SD

To me, the 2nd scenario has the most variables/differences. The others seem like a toss-up and like others have stated, can greatly depend on how much value an individual puts on "top rated school lists". Aside from that, from a financial/real estate perspective, I know houses in higher rated school districts typically hold value better.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here. There has been significant posting about airline traffic over western Nassau. Let me make a suggestion -- find out what (if any) flight traffic patterns these houses might be under. There are some posters from GC who might be able to help you with that.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
to the OP, if your family will be reaching to live in the more affluent area I wouldn't do it. I like to know where I stand and not feel pressured to keep up. The peer pressure even for things like clothing on high school kids in ANY district on LI is insane.
Live where you are comfortable, use the time you'd need to spend working extra to keep up on being involved in your childrens school life. It will pay off. The district is a SMALL part of a childs success.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,168 times
just this last year we bought a house in a 'not so good' (read: bad) area but the house was 'huge' per hubby's desire. although i had a bad feeling about it as i wanted a smaller house, that needed updates and fixing what not, i lost that battle.
needless to say we have both regretted the purchase. and now we're on a few years plan to buy elsewhere. which means shell out more money and put up with a town that has nothing to offer with a bad school district. which means pay high taxes for a school district we won't use, and then pay for private school.
someone here said well, you can always drive to good stuff. not necessarily true. it takes us 30 minutes to get to a bookstore. and we're just talking bookstore. no main street to speak off except for neighboring towns which are also run down and don't look/feel safe
that said, buy in a good area with a great school district and over years start updating stuff as you can afford.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
If you would be completely reaching to be able to afford house #1, then go with #2.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
to the OP, if your family will be reaching to live in the more affluent area I wouldn't do it. I like to know where I stand and not feel pressured to keep up. The peer pressure even for things like clothing on high school kids in ANY district on LI is insane.
Live where you are comfortable, use the time you'd need to spend working extra to keep up on being involved in your childrens school life. It will pay off. The district is a SMALL part of a childs success.

Couldnt agree more.

Crooks

Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
30 mins. to a book store? Where are you at? Im sitting here trying to think where it might be,,,maybe Baiting Hollow/Calverton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
just this last year we bought a house in a 'not so good' (read: bad) area but the house was 'huge' per hubby's desire. although i had a bad feeling about it as i wanted a smaller house, that needed updates and fixing what not, i lost that battle.
needless to say we have both regretted the purchase. and now we're on a few years plan to buy elsewhere. which means shell out more money and put up with a town that has nothing to offer with a bad school district. which means pay high taxes for a school district we won't use, and then pay for private school.
someone here said well, you can always drive to good stuff. not necessarily true. it takes us 30 minutes to get to a bookstore. and we're just talking bookstore. no main street to speak off except for neighboring towns which are also run down and don't look/feel safe
that said, buy in a good area with a great school district and over years start updating stuff as you can afford.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
30 mins to a bookstore? Exagerating, a bit i would say.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:36 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,168 times
alright then you find one for me pls. brookhaven to lake grove mall (smithaven mall). if there's a closer one I WOULD LOVE to find it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island