Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM

342 posts, read 1,095,572 times

Advertisements

I love John Stewart. I also thought the clip was very funny. On top of that, there is a percentage of people on LI that show similar traits. Not the really "dumb" things, but the whole "in your face, I'm gonna be tough" element is pretty real and crosses educational boundaries. Ok, that is from my limited experience here, so far. As an example however, I was at a school function today. Walked by a well dressed "professional" guy. This is what he said to an about 8 year old, "Hey Timmy, if you don't come over here and give me a high five, I'm gonna knock your head off." This would not be considered "appropriate" in most areas of the country, but I hear that kind of message all of the time. It's strange.

Besides, I love John Stewart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM

563 posts, read 2,572,704 times
That toolbox had guns actually tatooed on his arms....oh my...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM

513 posts, read 839,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I guess it's pretty funny, I just hate the constant Buttafuocoing of LI.
All areas of the country (and the world for that matter) have their stereotypes. Some are more accurate than others, some are unfair, some are funny and some are not.

I thought it was pretty funny and not terribly unfair...

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,770,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I love John Stewart. I also thought the clip was very funny. On top of that, there is a percentage of people on LI that show similar traits. Not the really "dumb" things, but the whole "in your face, I'm gonna be tough" element is pretty real and crosses educational boundaries. Ok, that is from my limited experience here, so far. As an example however, I was at a school function today. Walked by a well dressed "professional" guy. This is what he said to an about 8 year old, "Hey Timmy, if you don't come over here and give me a high five, I'm gonna knock your head off." This would not be considered "appropriate" in most areas of the country, but I hear that kind of message all of the time. It's strange.

Besides, I love John Stewart.
It's not considered appropriate many places on LI.

That 'knock your head off type' flock to McMansions. Dangle something new and shiny in front of them...next thing you know you have a neighbor whose vocabulary features monosyllabic words and whose lawn is sprouting a Mary on the Half Shell. Before you know it, the fucco company will be slopping up the exterior of the house to give it that nice Piazza d' Long Islanda look.

Get Off Our Island

I grew up surrounded by the type: IROC driving, chain wearing, attitude larger-than-life, vain, egotistical males. Sure enough, Jon Stewart's people were able to find perfect specimens to play themselves on tape.

Comedians and such have a field day perpetuating the type as the 'typical LIer' as evidenced by this sketch. LIers are thick-skinned. We know that this type represents a very small percentage of the actual population.

The sketch was amusing. It's unfortunate that elsewhere in the US some people are going to believe that we are all like that! I sort of laughed when the comment was made about NJ being our conjoined twin, but then winced when I thought about the old SNL sketch about The Paramus Mall. Ouch.

Having to deal with an off Island population which is ignorant as to the actual size and population of LI, I've found that those folks have no clue that Massapequa is not next to Mill Neck which is not next to Mount Sinai. Yet they'll lump you all into the same bunch. People hear you're from Massapequa, and they'll say ask if you know their cousin, Petunia, from Montauk.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,518,798 times
All in good fun The Daily Show is great.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,145,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's not considered appropriate many places on LI.

That 'knock your head off type' flock to McMansions. Dangle something new and shiny in front of them...next thing you know you have a neighbor whose vocabulary features monosyllabic words and whose lawn is sprouting a Mary on the Half Shell. Before you know it, the fucco company will be slopping up the exterior of the house to give it that nice Piazza d' Long Islanda look.

Get Off Our Island

I grew up surrounded by the type: IROC driving, chain wearing, attitude larger-than-life, vain, egotistical males. Sure enough, Jon Stewart's people were able to find perfect specimens to play themselves on tape.

Comedians and such have a field day perpetuating the type as the 'typical LIer' as evidenced by this sketch. LIers are thick-skinned. We know that this type represents a very small percentage of the actual population.

The sketch was amusing. It's unfortunate that elsewhere in the US some people are going to believe that we are all like that! I sort of laughed when the comment was made about NJ being our conjoined twin, but then winced when I thought about the old SNL sketch about The Paramus Mall. Ouch.

Having to deal with an off Island population which is ignorant as to the actual size and population of LI, I've found that those folks have no clue that Massapequa is not next to Mill Neck which is not next to Mount Sinai. Yet they'll lump you all into the same bunch. People hear you're from Massapequa, and they'll say ask if you know their cousin, Petunia, from Montauk.
I didnt drive an iron. I drove a monte ss.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,064,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

Oh jeez.....

As much as the stereotype is overblown by these d-bags, it IS a defining feature of LI. Guidos are LI and NJ's versions of rednecks. Anytime I hear a guido use the term "redneck" I giggle to myself. The insular, parochial, small mindedness is virtually identical.

What percentage of people on LI fit this mold? 20%? Enough to make them stick out, because they have the biggest mouths, much like a guy in Virginia who drives around with a confederate flag on his truck...you don't notice the family in the mini-van as much as this guy.

I'm part Italian, but I've always been repulsed by guido "culture". I've found also that the mentality has crossed over to Latino, Greek, and some other ethnic groups, who I guess seek to imitate the "New York-i-ness" they see in the common guido. As much as it hurts some of us here on LI to be painted this way...it is what it is..these guys are all around us.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,585,018 times
After watching that clip I stand corrected. That is Long Island.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,770,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
LOL

I liked the Montes far better than the IROCs. The lightning rod Hurst Olds weren't bad, either. I had a few Caddy driving, Howard Beach type friends. They made the 'bad boys' in the clip look like Momma's boys. LOL My HS friends were a tad guidette and were so into those guys. I stuck out like a sore thumb; after all, I was a minority in Massapequa! They wore horns, I wore a claddagh and a La Milagrosa medal.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,145,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LOL

I liked the Montes far better than the IROCs. The lightning rod Hurst Olds weren't bad, either. I had a few Caddy driving, Howard Beach type friends. They made the 'bad boys' in the clip look like Momma's boys. LOL My HS friends were a tad guidette and were so into those guys. I stuck out like a sore thumb; after all, I was a minority in Massapequa! They wore horns, I wore a claddagh and a La Milagrosa medal.
Im surprised we havent bumped into each other before in pequa. or perhaps we did! they called me "the last massapequan guido!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island