Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM

18 posts, read 37,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved into our first home in North Massapequa about a week and a half ago and we are having some drainage issues. Today we came home from work and there was a huge flood in our basement. It appears the water was coming from the sewage line. We called a sewer/drain company that was 24 hours and the guy came and took the cap off of the trap and water came gushing out....he tried to find the clog with his snake and went like 50 feet deep but couldn't find anything. He was worried that we maybe have cess pool but I checked out listing and it says we are sewer. He told us if we have a cess pool, then it is probably backed up. If we are connected to the sewer, then we have a broken pipe. He said there wasn't really anything else he could do for us. How can I find out if I have a cess pool or sewer. If I have the sewer how do I find out which sewer district I'm in? Also - does anyone know a good plumber???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 AM

116 posts, read 631,395 times
If you had the house inspected, it should say in the report if the house has a cess pool or a sewer.

You can also look at a diagram of the system on your property survey (in you closing papers) - if it has a circle it's usually a cess pool and a rectangle is a septic tank.

You can also find a copy in your township.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,616,342 times
If you are in the Soutwest Sewer District (which you probably are, being in Massapequa) you can go to their office at Bergen Point in Babylon (at the very end of Bergen Point Road, south of Montauk Highway, right on the bay.... very picturesque location!) and ask for a copy of the drawing that was originally filed when your house was connected to the sewers. This drawing will show the location of the sewer line cleanouts which may not be visible in your lawn. Just cross your fingers that none of the prior owners put a deck or patio smackdab over the cleanouts, in which case those won't be accessible. Give a copy of the diagram to your plumber so that he will know the best place to access the line for a repair.

Buyers don't always receive a copy of the cesspool/sewer diagram at closing. I never got one for any of the four houses that I bought. I did provide one (after getting that information myself after purchase) when I sold them, but that was voluntary on my part; sellers are not required to provide these documents and banks don't request them.

Also, a normal survey does not have to show the location of sewer connection/septic. I suspect it depends on the surveyor but they are really only required to show the things that are on/above ground level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island