Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM

748 posts, read 2,891,131 times

Advertisements

Some grass has started peeking out in between the paved stones in my walkway. I was going to get some weedkiller to kill this, but realized that this is grass, not weed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this? Is there a danger of the stones actually moving at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,605,624 times
Use Roundup, which is an herbicide (kills everything regardless of whether it's a grass, weed, annual, perennial, etc).

Just don't apply it on a windy day because you don't want overspray landing on lawn or planting areas that you don't want killed.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

51 posts, read 207,757 times
I second the roundup recommendation. that stuff will kill everything. And yes, wind is not your friend when applying roundup.

Also be sure not to get any on your shoes and then walk across your grass.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 PM

157 posts, read 458,395 times
I am not a tree hugger, but before you use chemicals, perhaps you would want to try... (I thought of this especailly because you can really pour a good amount and not worry about killing anything around it.

Vinegar As a Natural Weed (and grass) Killer...

For organic gardening, vinegar can function as a handy natural weed killer. It's the acetic acid in vinegar that gives it the power to kill weeds. The higher the percentage of acetic acid in the vinegar, the better it will operate as a natural weed killer, technically speaking. Vinegar used for culinary purposes is relatively low (5%) in acetic acid, so repeated applications will be necessary when using it as a natural weed killer.

Vinegar As Natural Weed Killer | Uses for Vinegar

Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,182,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post

Vinegar As a Natural Weed (and grass) Killer...

For organic gardening, vinegar can function as a handy natural weed killer. It's the acetic acid in vinegar that gives it the power to kill weeds. The higher the percentage of acetic acid in the vinegar, the better it will operate as a natural weed killer, technically speaking. Vinegar used for culinary purposes is relatively low (5%) in acetic acid, so repeated applications will be necessary when using it as a natural weed killer.

Vinegar As Natural Weed Killer | Uses for Vinegar

I strongly second vinegar as weed/grass killer .
Have used it on my driveway (pebbles) and it definitely works and repeat application is indeed required if the "invasion" has progressed, as in my case. I recommend full strength, not diluted as some people suggested to me.

It does NOT seem to be effective against poison ivy though .

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,522,116 times
You can buy higher strength vinegar (up to 20% acidity) in a lot of farm supply stores. I think vinegar for canning is higher than 5% also.

I use it...it works great. Just don't use it right before it rains...for obvious reasons.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,144,276 times
Put a sealer over it when the weeds are gone (week later) that will prevent anything else from growing there again.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM

513 posts, read 838,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Use Roundup, which is an herbicide (kills everything regardless of whether it's a grass, weed, annual, perennial, etc).
Everything green, depending on strength of mixture...

Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,605,624 times
If you have sand between the pavers, you may want to consider replacing it with the new polymeric sand that acts like grout. I saw this described in the last issue of Garden Gate magazine.

Polymeric Sand

Supposedly it is resistant to blowing away, being removed by tires going over it, ants, and weed/grass germination.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM

748 posts, read 2,891,131 times
Thanks everyone. These are all great ideas. I will start with Vinegar, and move on to round-up if Vinegar is too much work. I have a fair amount of cracks to fill, and spraying roundup will be less work.. though I am all for natural materials on the lawn.

I have been thinking about sealing the cracks to prevent the grass from growing again, and the polymeric sand seems like a great idea. The website even has a section about installing, so that should be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island