Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 36,103 times

Advertisements

Hello,
How's the Farmingville area? We are looking to buy a house to move in and raise our children. I was looking in the Ronkonkoma area, but the price is just too high. The home price in Farmingville seems to be reasonable. How is that area? Is it a good place to raise children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville

azeng1981, here are some Farmingville threads you might want to check out:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...mingville.html

For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville:

Farmingville is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the center part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Farmingville in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Coram; on the east by the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Medford; on the south by the Hamlet of Medford and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centereach.

The Hamlet of Farmingville has a different border than does the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Farmingville and a place can have other than a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Farmingville): places that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Farmingville are in the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Farmingville with a "Centereach, NY 11720" and "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,400 times
It sadden me visiting my old neighborhood and seeing all the illegals hanging out on N. Ocean Ave.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,744 times
eh - lots of illegals crammed into 1 house. this has effected property values.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmissLI View Post
It sadden me visiting my old neighborhood and seeing all the illegals hanging out on N. Ocean Ave.
How can you tell they are "illegals" just by looking at them, does it say so on their shirts?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,805 times
I miss Walter ...

Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM

176 posts, read 406,494 times
The area by town hall is very nice and not at all impacted by some of the problems mentioned earlier. Sachem is a decent district.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 PM

167 posts, read 305,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
The area by town hall is very nice and not at all impacted by some of the problems mentioned earlier. Sachem is a decent district.
I agree.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Farmingville is an average town. The school districts are decent.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM

265 posts, read 945,006 times
All I can say is don't let Farmingville's stigma lead you away. Sure it is known for having a sizeable illegal immigrant population, but they are very timid around here and keep to themselves. I live in the part of Farmingville that is known for having the highest concentration of illegals, and have had zero problems. I'm not going to lie, it can be an eyesore though considering that some of the houses they live in are not kept well. It's a low crime area, though.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck in Farmingville, and Sachem schools are pretty decent. As mentioned before, the area by town hall and west of Nicolls road is very nice, and if your budget is a bit higher it's a steal. Farmingville's a very diverse area. Lots of Italians, Portuguese, Latinos. Some great hole in the wall type food spots on Horseblock road as well, Ole Grill is one of the best Portuguese restaurants i've been to. So basically check out the neighborhood, talk to some of your potential new neighbors about it and see if it's the area for you.

edit: just saw this thread was from 2009. Strong bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island