Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In favor or against?
Yes -- NYS Property Tax Cap 14 70.00%
Yes -- Special District Reform 13 65.00%
Yes -- Make the 7 Changes to NYS Law Suggested by LIFER 11 55.00%
No -- NYS Property Tax Cap 4 20.00%
No -- Special District Reform 2 10.00%
No -- Make the 7 Changes to NYS Law Suggested by LIFER 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times

Advertisements

We are all complaining our taxes are too high. And, yes, they are. So what can we do about it? We just keep going around in circles. Here are some ideas I found on the web:

There's a crisis coming for school costs -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpschl1712766398may18,0,1629189.story - broken link)

Although this Newsday editorial is focusing on school districts, the idea I find most intriguing in it is about a State property tax cap. (Interestingly enough, someone on another thread predicted adding another tier to teacher's retirement plans and guess what, this editorial advocates that.)

Do you think a State property tax cap would help?

This local website (which I found via the [domain blocked due to spam] forum for the above editorial) is focused on Special District reform:

Long Island Killer Taxes - Eliminating Unnecessary and Wasteful Spending By Consolidating Special Districts

Here is a brief excerpt about the Special Districts in Nassau:

Nassau County is unlike most Counties in New York. Over the past 100 years, Nassau has created a multitude of special taxing districts to provide basic services like garbage, libraries, water, and sewers. Many of these special taxing districts are run by commissioners who are elected, often for 3 -5 year terms, by approximately 1-3% of the residents of these districts. Nassau has, by far, more special districts than any other county in New York. The overwhelming majority of special taxing districts in Nassau County are costly, ineffective and contribute to our high property taxes.

Another website on the same topic:

Residents for Efficient Special Districts

Do you think Special District reform would help?

This local website (which I also found via the [domain blocked due to spam] forum for the above editorial) is focused on what they call Educational reform:

LI School Tax - Educational Excellence and Fiscal Responsibility

They describe themselves as follows:

This site is operated by Long Islanders dedicated to improving educational quality while getting better control of our runaway school costs.

Here are 7 changes to NYS law they advocate:

http://www.lischooltax.com/lifer2pg01.html

Do you agree with these ideas?

It is packed full of relevant content. Do you think their goal is possible?

If you have any other ideas for tax reform on Long Island or know of any other groups/websites dedicated to this, please post them.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-20-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM

964 posts, read 2,464,739 times
Being originally from Western PA, I can tell you that Long Island is one big batch of people ripping each other off. It's cyclical. It's essentially a jungle where people try to survive by swindling each other. I know that is cynical, but it is true.

The politicians rip off Joe the Mechanic, Joe overcharges Sue for parts, Sue marks up her fees when doing John's taxes, John charges way too much for simple contracting work for Jane, Jane joins the teacher's union and rips off the taxpayers again, etc etc.

Until people look in the mirror and see this dog eat dog culture for what it is, nothing will change.

1. Tax Caps--won't work. Pols spend way too much money and the local govts would be bankrupt.

2. Consolidation--Parents will never ever allow school consolidation on LI. The best you can hope for is consolidation of sewer, water, garbage, etc. Police and fire should be consolidated too, but won't be because of special interests.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
I would not expect school district consolidation. Just too many. Even if there were a serious effort to consolidate, the cost of the lawsuits filed alone would be prohibitive ...

However, the special district consolidation is worth a try. I remember Newsday did a story awhile back on the Great Neck Water District and it showed that the top person there was making almost $200K a year and hired his own son as his assistant making almost the same. The Great Neck Water District is TINY. That is nepotism and a ripoff of the taxpayers at its worst. Who knows what's going on in all of the other special districts.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM

122 posts, read 391,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would not expect school district consolidation. Just too many. Even if there were a serious effort to consolidate, the cost of the lawsuits filed alone would be prohibitive ...
This is a common belief, but is it accurate? Even though some people will howl, there seems to be a lot of support for this. What if we actually moved forward as though it were a possibility and tried to get a referendum brought to the voters?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM

148 posts, read 557,413 times
No thanks, I bought a smaller house in a good district for a reason. I am not intersted in combining districts to create New York City schools on Long island- personally I will deal with the taxes because i like what is happenning in my district.
I wish all of the rest who bought in a crappy district would stop with this consolidation silliness.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,605,031 times
I disagree with the "One Budget Vote Only" idea, because it can often happen that a Contingency budget turns out to be more expensive than the Proposed Budget. You would think that the budget would pass with flying colors if people see that their taxes would go up, say, 6% under the Proposed Budget but 9% under a Contingency budget .... but that's assuming that everyone reads the informational flyers that are sent out. Never underestimate the propensity of people to accidentally throw out something that looks like junk mail.

With the "One Budget Vote Only" scenario, such a budget that was very narrowly defeated would not have a second chance at passing and thus the taxpayers would be stuck with a 9% increase for that year.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Being originally from Western PA, I can tell you that Long Island is one big batch of people ripping each other off. It's cyclical. It's essentially a jungle where people try to survive by swindling each other. I know that is cynical, but it is true.

The politicians rip off Joe the Mechanic, Joe overcharges Sue for parts, Sue marks up her fees when doing John's taxes, John charges way too much for simple contracting work for Jane, Jane joins the teacher's union and rips off the taxpayers again, etc etc.

Until people look in the mirror and see this dog eat dog culture for what it is, nothing will change.

1. Tax Caps--won't work. Pols spend way too much money and the local govts would be bankrupt.

2. Consolidation--Parents will never ever allow school consolidation on LI. The best you can hope for is consolidation of sewer, water, garbage, etc. Police and fire should be consolidated too, but won't be because of special interests.
You couldn't have said it better !!! I live on LI and I agree with you a 100%.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
However, the special district consolidation is worth a try. I remember Newsday did a story awhile back on the Great Neck Water District and it showed that the top person there was making almost $200K a year and hired his own son as his assistant making almost the same. The Great Neck Water District is TINY. That is nepotism and a ripoff of the taxpayers at its worst. Who knows what's going on in all of the other special districts.

Don't know what the rates are in that water district or any in Nassau County, for that matter.
Suffolk County has several water districts and they vary in cost to the consumer. I'm in the South Huntington Water District and pay very little for water: a fraction of what I paid when I had Suffolk County Water Authority... would hate a consolidation as it would only cost me more

Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM

106 posts, read 337,706 times
Stop voting yes for the School Districts

Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM

44 posts, read 234,279 times
Move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island