Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM

13,550 posts, read 17,121,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I am a SAHM so for me the location is not a big deal. I just need it to be close to grocery stores lol. My Fiance works all over the Island with his Full time job but the main office is in Ronkonkoma. Then he works Mon, Wed, Fri at RP high school.

You are a prime candidate for something east of exit 63, dare say, even Rocky Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM

548 posts, read 952,851 times
Ronkonkoma isn't a bad ride from RP, the fact that the fiancee is at RPHS 3 nights a week, the fact that she's a handy lady -- Rocky Point is a win/win. From a personal standpoint, I would much sooner raise my children in Rocky Point rather than drag them up in Mastic.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,240,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are a prime candidate for something east of exit 63, dare say, even Rocky Point.
You know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there at exit 66.

One town north of Middle Island.

60 Miles from NYC(and Montauk)

Crooks

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

549 posts, read 2,200,669 times
Do you commute to Manhattan?

If so how long is your commute on the LIRR?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Whayever you need to tell yourself Dman.

Its still awesome out here brother.

I commute like anyone else and Its really not that bad. Especially when you love what you come to.

"Only time will tell if we stand the test of time"
Rock on Mid Island....rock on.

Crooks

PS

Ever heard of BNL?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,435,580 times
Here we go again. Having just done major reno on my house unless you are a pro I would suggest getting the newer house.

The idea that areas don't change is crap. I could go on and on about places that were former dumps but now most people can't afford to live in. Just remember lobster used to be poor people food.

I went to Floyd and there was no "dragging" as opposed to "raising". If it's one of the new construction homes for the most part they are on pretty quiet blocks.

Tri-hamlet is no where near as bad as people will tell you.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,209,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I am a SAHM so for me the location is not a big deal. I just need it to be close to grocery stores lol. My Fiance works all over the Island with his Full time job but the main office is in Ronkonkoma. Then he works Mon, Wed, Fri at RP high school.
William Floyd Parkway will lead you to 25,25A,,and the expressway so it's not bad.If you lived in Mastic you still would be using either sunrise or the expressway too but from the south.The difference between the 2 is that RP is a much safer town to be walking through at almost anytime whereas the mastic,mb,shirley areas can be sketchy.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,209,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

You know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there at exit 66.

One town north of Middle Island.

60 Miles from NYC(and Montauk)

Crooks
I thought WFP was exit 68?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,618,022 times
My usual reaction is that if it's a house between Good House/Marginal or Bad Location and Good Location/Disastrous House ...... buy Location.

But as someone already pointed out, the desirability of some areas can change over time. Not all (we all know that, say, Asharoken, Dix Hills, Poquott, etc etc are not going to turn into Wyandanch or Brentwood in our lifetimes and probably not in our childrens' or grandchildrens' lifetimes either!) but definitely some. And that change can be for either better or worse.

Look at Bay Shore as a great example. It used to be upscale, then went into the pits for a good 30 years and now it's on the upswing again.

If you absolutely have fallen head over heels love with the Good house in the Marginal/Bad location, you need to ask yourself honestly whether, if you go for a house in the Good area that you don't love as much (OR can realistically afford to turn into the equivalent of the house you're in love with), you will be mentally berating yourself for years for NOT buying the house you fell in love with.

If you TRULY think the Good house will haunt you forever more if you pass on it, don't be so quick to discard it solely because of location (assuming it's a SAFE location; no house is worth compromising the safety of yourself and your family!). But if you can handle the expense and hassle of upgrading the Worse house in the Good area into something you really want ... then IMHO buy location.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onrway2clt View Post
Do you commute to Manhattan?

If so how long is your commute on the LIRR?
Thanks

Not by rail anymore.

Its about 1:10 From Ronkonkoma plus a 25-35 min drive to exit 60/the station.

Port Jeff Rail is useless.

Crooks

Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I thought WFP was exit 68?
It is.

You can get off at Exits 63, 66 or 68 for RP.

68 is actually East of RP ...but faster.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island