Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM

130 posts, read 744,037 times

Advertisements

OMG so perfect!!! I just found a house I fell in LOVE with... I am calling my FHA lender tomorrow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
OMG so perfect!!! I just found a house I fell in LOVE with... I am calling my FHA lender tomorrow!!

Congratulations

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM

Default Changed again - what else is new...

Here's the latest with regard to the $8K tax credit and closing costs:

Daily Real Estate News | May 29, 2009</SPAN> | http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/0a94d9004a0e169ba586adf0c17838b5/tools_addthis.gif?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=0a94d9004a0e 169ba586adf0c17838b5 (broken link) Share

HUD: Tax Credit Can Be Used on Closing Costs
[SIZE=2]FHA-approved lenders received the go-ahead to develop bridge-loan products that enable first-time buyers to use the benefits of the federal tax credit upfront, according to eagerly awaited guidance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on so-called home buyer tax credit loans that was released today.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Under the guidance, FHA-approved lenders can develop bridge loans that home buyers can use to help cover their closing costs, buy down their interest rate, or put down more than the minimum 3.5 percent.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The loans can't be used to cover the minimum 3.5 percent, senior HUD officials told reporters on a conference call Friday morning. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Thus, buyers applying for FHA-backed financing with an FHA-approved lender that offers a bridge-loan program can get a bridge loan to bring down the upfront costs of buying a home significantly but would still have to come up with the minimum 3.5 percent downpayment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]There remain many sources of assistance for buyers needing help with the 3.5 percent downpayment, including many state and local government instrumentalities and nonprofit lenders.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]In addition, [/SIZE][SIZE=2]some state housing finance agencies[/SIZE][SIZE=2] have developed their own tax credit bridge loan programs, so buyers in states whose HFAs offer such programs can monetize the tax credit upfront to cover all or part of their downpayment. These programs are separate from what HUD announced today. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The first-time homebuyer tax credit was enacted last year--and improved upon earlier this year--to help encourage households to enter the housing market while interest rates are low and affordability is high. The credit is worth up to $8,000 and is available to households that haven't owned a home in at least three years. The credit does not have to be repaid, and is fully reimbursable, so households can get their credit returned to them in the form of a payment.[/SIZE]

Of course next week it may change again

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM

I called about this and I was told that you cannot get it UNTIL you already close on the house. So nothing was passed about using it for a down payment. Which is fine but O well.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I called about this and I was told that you cannot get it UNTIL you already close on the house. So nothing was passed about using it for a down payment. Which is fine but O well.
This announcement just came out yesterday - which means many employees at banks, etc. probably haven't been told/heard about it yet...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM

I called the IRS.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I called the IRS.
I hear you, but if it was only announced on Friday, I seriously doubt that this information "trickled down" to most parties involved the same day - JMHO

I guess time will tell...

Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,560 times
The IRS website in particular is slow to update with changes. It took them almost 2 weeks after Obama signed the Homebuyer Credit bill to get the information and revised income tax form (for 2008 filers) up on the website. It took almost a week for them to even put up a short notification saying that information on the new Credit would be "coming soon".

Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
The IRS website in particular is slow to update with changes. It took them almost 2 weeks after Obama signed the Homebuyer Credit bill to get the information and revised income tax form (for 2008 filers) up on the website. It took almost a week for them to even put up a short notification saying that information on the new Credit would be "coming soon".
Thank you My point exactly...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:53 PM

518 posts, read 1,822,865 times
i finally got my extra $500 today after sending in the amendment form sometime in march
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: