Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,809,804 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what is the rule of thumb on above ground pools. My tenant asked if he could put one ; I havent given an answer yet because I wanted to know the rules on these in the Village of Patchogue. He said it was a 4 ft pool. Do I need to do a fence around it ; the yard is fenced by him, a four foot fence. Honestly I am very wary of letting him do it. The property is 60X100 so it will take up a lot of the backyard.

Thanks for any opinions and advice.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM

20,083 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Tenant? I would say no. Picture the pool being a large can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Yes there are laws and codes for above ground pools, many are the same as inground pools, it's just that most people completely ignore them because in the event of a problem, they can be removed.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,347,355 times
Yeah, the word "Tenant" is scary. Make sure you consult a lawyer prior to agreement.
As for the fence, you must have one around your property (With self-closing latches on any gates) and the entrance to the pool must abide by code (Deck or stair entrance to pool).

Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,005 times
Yes you do have to have fence around the pool regardless of a property border fence, you may need gate alarms. We always had a pool in Brookhaven town. Until it burst one day flooding the street and my neighbors basement. Sending my propane tanks across the yard along with cinder blocks and other debris. I'd say nope.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,655 times
Just say no.
My former LL (3 family house) had an above ground pool, a big one though. She'd known us since we were kids, and so gave us permission to use the yard/pool whenever we wished. Trouble came when the 3rd family requested the same treatment. My LL came home one day to find them having a huge family get together BBQ, and kids, lots of kids, using the pool. My LL nearly fainted from the thoughts of injury/liability she'd opened herself up to. I've since moved, but not before she took that pool down.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,749 times
Where can I find rules regarding how much space is needed around an above ground swimming pool. My space is very limited and I would like to put a pool between my garage and my property line. Other then fences and alarms, are there any other rules? I live in New York City

Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM

654 posts, read 2,121,744 times
Some towns have their codes online.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,765,315 times
I would never allow a tenant to have a pool. It could be a huge liabiltiy for you should their be an accident.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,559,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Just wondering what is the rule of thumb on above ground pools. My tenant asked if he could put one ; I havent given an answer yet because I wanted to know the rules on these in the Village of Patchogue. He said it was a 4 ft pool. Do I need to do a fence around it ; the yard is fenced by him, a four foot fence. Honestly I am very wary of letting him do it. The property is 60X100 so it will take up a lot of the backyard.

Thanks for any opinions and advice.

d
liability issues will be more main concern. Call the township and find out the rules with fences, zoning, etd I would not do it, it would open pandaora's box. Best of luck d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island