Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

97 posts, read 312,295 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal - I'm looking for a nice neighborhood to raise a child an live with my newly married wife. House prices are astronomical, thus I'm really not looking to spend more than 425 for a house.

After searching, I see that New Hyde Park has many characteristics that meet my criteria (decent commute to the city, easy access to the LIE, etc). How is would you rate this neighborhood and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM

283 posts, read 581,440 times
great area, lots of families, quick LIRR ride to Penn station. nice town overall!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM

97 posts, read 312,295 times
Thats great news -thanks!. How is the diversity? My wife and I are an interracial couple.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 PM

265 posts, read 945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Thats great news -thanks!. How is the diversity? My wife and I are an interracial couple.
Lots of Asians, I think. Pretty diverse.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
I don't think you should have problems being an interracial couple in NHP.

Also remember NHP has two parts to it ... part is considered Queens, NYC and part is considered Nassau County, LI. As for school districts in Nassau that serve NHP, Herricks is by far the best as one of the top districts on LI, then NHP-GC South a very respectable 2nd, with Elmont being a distant 3rd (and a school district to avoid according to some). As for school districts in Queens that serve NHP, I know Community SD #26 is very well regarded, but don't know anything about the others.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,772 times
Its a nice town. You should not have a problem with the town from a diversity standpoint. Pretty mixed with big populations of different groups. Although, from a money standpoint, I have always considered NHP to be pointless to spend the money in when you can spend roughly the same (prob a little more though) and be in the village of Floral Park, where you have all your own Fire, Police, Rescue, public works, good school district, etc. That is worth its weight in gold when considering county services. Taxes are roughly the same too but I will give the lean to FP being higher. You could prob find an ok house in FP for the low to mid 400s...Just make sure its actually in the village. School district can be deceiving. Houses in the school district are not in the village. I would say NHP is more diverse though.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM

330 posts, read 887,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't think you should have problems being an interracial couple in NHP.

Also remember NHP has two parts to it ... part is considered Queens, NYC and part is considered Nassau County, LI. As for school districts in Nassau that serve NHP, Herricks is by far the best as one of the top districts on LI, then NHP-GC South a very respectable 2nd, with Elmont being a distant 3rd (and a school district to avoid according to some). As for school districts in Queens that serve NHP, I know Community SD #26 is very well regarded, but don't know anything about the others.
You forgot great neck south high, rated number 1 on long island by US News. A portion of NHP is served by south high, but the prices there are much higher.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
After searching, I see that New Hyde Park has many characteristics that meet my criteria (decent commute to the city, easy access to the LIE, etc). How is would you rate this neighborhood and why?

Looking4MyHouse, it depends on what you mean by "New Hyde Park"?

New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places that have the community name in their mailing address are not in the village: the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres) is less than 16% of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone (3,339 acres).

All or parts of the following 8 communities -- 3 villages and 5 hamlets -- are within the borders of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" postal zone and thus places within these 8 communities have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address:

....Village of Lake Success, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of North Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Herricks, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Garden City Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of New Hyde Park, Towns of North Hempstead & Hempstead

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,887 times
If he's looking to spend about $425K, which "New Hyde Park" do you THINK he meant? Safe to say, Manhasset, Garden City Park or North Hills are not options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Looking4MyHouse, it depends on what you mean by "New Hyde Park"?

New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places that have the community name in their mailing address are not in the village: the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres) is less than 16% of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone (3,339 acres).

All or parts of the following 8 communities -- 3 villages and 5 hamlets -- are within the borders of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" postal zone and thus places within these 8 communities have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address:

....Village of Lake Success, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of North Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Herricks, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Garden City Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of New Hyde Park, Towns of North Hempstead & Hempstead

Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If he's looking to spend about $425K, which "New Hyde Park" do you THINK he meant?
According to the official map of Nassau County, as published by the Nassau County Planning Commission, there is only one New Hyde Park, and that's the Village of New Hyde Park.

A map of the Village of New Hyde Park:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/New-hyde-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island