Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,368,397 times

Advertisements

I get a reply from Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi over my complaints over the proposed $3.50 LI Bus fare.
Thank You for contacting my office relative to your concerns regarding the MTA proposed fare increase. While I appreciate your concern s and wish I could better assist you with this matter, please be advised that the County has no jurisdiction or control over this situation. In an effort to be of assistance, however, I have forwarded your concerns to Elliot G Sander of the MTA, for his review and consideration"

This is the FWD:
Elliot G Sanderm Executive Director and CEO
Metropolitan Transportation Authority
347 Madison Avenue
New York,NY 10017-3739

Dear Mr. Sander,
My office was recently contacted by (name witheld) relative to his concerns regarding the proposed MTA increases.
I have explained to (name witheld) that the County has no jurisdiction or control over this matter but that I would forward his concerns to you for review and consideration. Futher, I would appreciate (name witheld) being contacted accordingly. Thank you for your anticipated courtesy and cooperation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM

563 posts, read 2,580,117 times
pass the buck

Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,532,749 times
That's how they usually do it ---- pass the buck and hope it doesn't eventually pass around back to you.

I can't believe $3.50 for bus fare ---- that is ridiculous. I would love to know how people who rely on the bus to get to/from work are going to afford it? Are they getting raises to compensate? I highly doubt it.

When does this increase take effect?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM

22,286 posts, read 19,685,766 times
John

The blame for the increase in Bus fair is on the MTA, not Nassau County, not Suozzi. Tom Suozzi, nor anyone in the Nassau County government ran the MTA into the ground. The MTA ran the MTA into the ground. I do agree that the increase in the bus fair is ridicolous and unfair, however this is all due to mismanagement within the MTA, not Suozzi. That is where your anger should be directed.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
John

The blame for the increase in Bus fair is on the MTA, not Nassau County, not Suozzi. Tom Suozzi, nor anyone in the Nassau County government ran the MTA into the ground. The MTA ran the MTA into the ground. I do agree that the increase in the bus fair is ridicolous and unfair, however this is all due to mismanagement within the MTA, not Suozzi. That is where your anger should be directed.
So then why are the buses in Nassau getting shunned from the MTA Bus system and being forced to pay a $3.50 fare and not being able to use an unlimited ride metrocard?
If you were right, we'd be having a $2.50 fare like the city not this BS...

Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
So then why are the buses in Nassau getting shunned from the MTA Bus system and being forced to pay a $3.50 fare and not being able to use an unlimited ride metrocard?
If you were right, we'd be having a $2.50 fare like the city not this BS...
Because the MTA can get away with it, they are keeping it separate from the rest of the MTA services because they make more $$ if they do it that way. It has nothing to do with Suozzi or the Nassau County govt, although the MTA is using them as a scapegoat. It has to do with mass mismanagement inthe MTA which has led them to massive deficits, and this is what they are doing in order to alleviate the deficit. They are attacking the LI bus the hardest because its something on which they can use someone else as a scapegoat, even though the problems are their own doing.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,159,913 times
hey, if the government gives them money then we can go in and get rid of all the high paid workers in there, like were doing with GM.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 AM

663 posts, read 1,075,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Because the MTA can get away with it, they are keeping it separate from the rest of the MTA services because they make more $$ if they do it that way. It has nothing to do with Suozzi or the Nassau County govt, although the MTA is using them as a scapegoat. It has to do with mass mismanagement inthe MTA which has led them to massive deficits, and this is what they are doing in order to alleviate the deficit. They are attacking the LI bus the hardest because its something on which they can use someone else as a scapegoat, even though the problems are their own doing.
They are attacking LI Bus the hardest because Nassau County does not contribute its fair share to LI Bus Operations. In reality NYC Transit/other MTA operations have subsidized LI Bus. Nassau County only contributes about 10M a year to LI Bus whereas Westchester contributes 33M to its Bee Line System. A huge disparity and one in times like this can't be ignored. It is not about MTA mismangement in this case. Nassau won't increase its subsidy and most residents here rely on cars and view buses as something used by the low income carless folks so this increase I believe is here to stay.

The MTA would not remove the unlimited metrocard option and create a more complex fare structure if Nassau County contributed its share. Bus riders in Nassau County are a very low priority (despite the surge in ridership and the fact that many areas are well served by the bus). Now all the people who use the bus because they have no choice or an alternative to driving will simply drive. $7 a day round trip is not a viable public transit option....but sadly some don't have a choice.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:30 AM

893 posts, read 2,880,942 times
What. Becuase of my mom moving to PA during the middle of my senior year, my school allowed me to live with my dad in Queens and finish out the school year. So I take the Q3 and the N4 to school and the N4 and the Q3 home. I also use unlimited metro cards because it works out that way. When will we be no longer to use the unlimited metro cards? Hopefully my dad will be able afford it or I will have to wait till around 6 to get a ride home.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
They are attacking LI Bus the hardest because Nassau County does not contribute its fair share to LI Bus Operations. In reality NYC Transit/other MTA operations have subsidized LI Bus. Nassau County only contributes about 10M a year to LI Bus whereas Westchester contributes 33M to its Bee Line System. A huge disparity and one in times like this can't be ignored. It is not about MTA mismangement in this case. Nassau won't increase its subsidy and most residents here rely on cars and view buses as something used by the low income carless folks so this increase I believe is here to stay.

The MTA would not remove the unlimited metrocard option and create a more complex fare structure if Nassau County contributed its share. Bus riders in Nassau County are a very low priority (despite the surge in ridership and the fact that many areas are well served by the bus). Now all the people who use the bus because they have no choice or an alternative to driving will simply drive. $7 a day round trip is not a viable public transit option....but sadly some don't have a choice.
The Westchester Bee Line service and the LI Bus are managed separately so the comparisons between what Westchester and Nassau fund aren't valid. The LI Bus is a part of the RBO (MTA Regional Bus Operations) the Bee Line Bus is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island