Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM

110 posts, read 226,046 times

Advertisements

So I am literally confused as to what to do in this housing market on LI as of March 09. Do we wait it out or do we buy now while prices are relatively low (I still think there is room for the housing market to sink lower here). But I keep hearing conflicting views as to what to do. I know this has been talked about until your blue in the face, BUT I need some more points of view.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
There are 2 parts to every housing purchase..the price, and the interest rates on the mortgage. It's hard to see mortgage rates going much lower than they are now, but they probably can go up. However, I do think you will see prices go down for another 6 months. If you have a solid job, you can afford the mortgage, and have found a house you wouldn't mind living in for a long time, it's not a bad time to buy.

If you are buying with the hope of moving up in 5 years, if you don't have bulletproof jobs, if the mortgage is a stretch, don't buy. No house purchased at this time should be viewed as an investment, because it probably will lose value over the short term, and who knows when and how far the market will go back up.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM

706 posts, read 3,766,530 times
If I planned on buying a home, I would, at least, be out looking now...

Prices are low, mortgage rates are low, I hear tell of move-in condition foreclosures, short sales...

(I know two people who purchased foreclosures well below market which needed no work. Both were living in apartments and bought the homes because the mortgage works out lower than their rental payments. In one case he figures eventually/sooner or later he will sell at higher price than he purchased the home...he's in no hurry.)

Even that aside...if I planned on purchasing a home at any point in the future, I'd at least be out and about checking things out in case I might stumble upon a great deal. Who knows?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 AM

113 posts, read 438,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are 2 parts to every housing purchase..the price, and the interest rates on the mortgage. It's hard to see mortgage rates going much lower than they are now, but they probably can go up. However, I do think you will see prices go down for another 6 months. If you have a solid job, you can afford the mortgage, and have found a house you wouldn't mind living in for a long time, it's not a bad time to buy.

If you are buying with the hope of moving up in 5 years, if you don't have bulletproof jobs, if the mortgage is a stretch, don't buy. No house purchased at this time should be viewed as an investment, because it probably will lose value over the short term, and who knows when and how far the market will go back up.
I agree with you that the rates can go up but they will probably drop another half point in the next year (raise the prices and preople don't buy as much). But are you actually saying that you think in 6 months prices will not drop further??? Think about it this way....in 6 months it will be Oct 2009 going into the winter (which is a great time to grab the houses that didn't sell during the past summer or from people who can't wait for spring) We have another full year of price drops IMO. Spring of 2010 I can see it leveling out at 5-10% less than now.

I couldn't agree more about have the income though...make sure you don't become a statistic who cannot afford your home

Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post
I agree with you that the rates can go up but they will probably drop another half point in the next year (raise the prices and preople don't buy as much). But are you actually saying that you think in 6 months prices will not drop further??? Think about it this way....in 6 months it will be Oct 2009 going into the winter (which is a great time to grab the houses that didn't sell during the past summer or from people who can't wait for spring) We have another full year of price drops IMO. Spring of 2010 I can see it leveling out at 5-10% less than now.

I couldn't agree more about have the income though...make sure you don't become a statistic who cannot afford your home
I should have said I think that prices will continue to go down for AT LEAST 6 months. Now is not the time to buy a house as an investment or short term purchase..unless it's a foreclosure. If you buy a house now, it should be at a mortgage you can afford easily and in a house that you wouldn't mind living in for at least 10 years.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I should have said I think that prices will continue to go down for AT LEAST 6 months. Now is not the time to buy a house as an investment or short term purchase..unless it's a foreclosure. If you buy a house now, it should be at a mortgage you can afford easily and in a house that you wouldn't mind living in for at least 10 years.
Now I couldn't agree with you more

I posted this link in another thread but it is still pretty interesting and related to this

US home prices 'in record freefall' (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090331/ts_alt_afp/useconomypropertysalesprice - broken link)

Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM

852 posts, read 2,019,345 times
Default Everyone is guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glags11 View Post
So I am literally confused as to what to do in this housing market on LI as of March 09. Do we wait it out or do we buy now while prices are relatively low (I still think there is room for the housing market to sink lower here). But I keep hearing conflicting views as to what to do. I know this has been talked about until your blue in the face, BUT I need some more points of view.
Thank you in advance!
There is every reason to buy. Sellers are desperate and rates are low. Why wait?

Besides, any answer you get is going to be as good as anyone else's right now. Everyone is just a prognosticator.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM

432 posts, read 1,595,437 times
There is no better time to buy a house.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
There is no better time to buy a house.
I think you meant to post this next year

Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 AM

432 posts, read 1,595,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post
I think you meant to post this next year
Timing the market is tough, if you are willing to hold onto property for 10+ years now is the time.
It worked for me in the early 80's when the housing market "peaked"
People thought I was crazy for spending 175K on a house with 3 ocean views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island