Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am not attacking teachers above the police! Read what I said again:

NCPD and SCPD need to get with the new century in terms of retirement years, pensions and non-contributory benefits. As for the school districts, KIDS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO SACRIFICE WHEN IT COMES TO THE BUDGET, the people who work in the school district should at least share the burden! I don't think it is too much to ask.
Every contract that my wife has been a part of, they have made conessions...medical cost keep going up, pay scales slow down, etc...the problem is, he state keeps mandating more programs, and federal money keeps being cut, so taxes don't go down.

Cops, meanwhile, make no concessions..still free pension, still free medical...

Your first target when it comes to taxes should be the police, if you are at all honest or fair. When their compensation becomes realistic, we can talk about teachers.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Can we quit beating up the cops and teachers now? Point is well presented.
Let's move on to beating up somebody else.

How about the administrators in the schools? some of them are making upwards of 200K...Most of them don't do a damn thing either. They are just a figure head.
Most of the government officials are making way more than what should be deemed "fair"...Remember, a bunch of these goofballs are lawyers, and still practice, or are still getting a cut from firms and such, plus all the cash they make under the table with pay-offs and favors,
ha ha!!!

So why do they need to be earning around 100K or more a year? Really.
I think government officials need to be scrutinized a little more closely.
There is a ton of tax payer waste in their salaries alone.
Job perks as well, like being chauffered in a county vehicle, etc...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 55,036 times
Who's gonna pay the overseeing committee? lol

Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I NEVER SAID teachers deserve 100K??? I said they shouldn't be attacked first when it comes to compensation because cops are doing much, much better and, per person, cost the taxpayer much more.
Sorry for my mistake! But you can understand me being confused when you made statements such as:

cops making 120K after 5 years with some overtime....people on LI want teachers to be making 50K per year in that same environment

AND

Teachers need 6 years of schooling, cops need none. Look at what a career with 6 years of schooling gets you in many fields: accounting, nursing, Finance, etc..you would find something very comparable. People with Masters in Account and CPA's make well over 100K before teachers ever do. Nurses, with overtime, break 100K quite easily.

Quote:
Take your meds and come back when you want to talk like a grown up, rational human being, okay? ..cause you are coming off as a nut.
Resorting to personal attacks means you know you have lost the argument and are behaving like a sore loser.

Once again, I am not attacking teachers before cops.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

How about the administrators in the schools? some of them are making upwards of 200K...Most of them don't do a damn thing either. They are just a figure head.
Most of the government officials are making way more than what should be deemed "fair"...Remember, a bunch of these goofballs are lawyers, and still practice, or are still getting a cut from firms and such, plus all the cash they make under the table with pay-offs and favors,
ha ha!!!

You're right Karl. I mentioned bloated school administrations and so did you in this thread, but apparently somebody is more interested in attacking police officers first and thinks that is "small change."

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

ha ha!!!

Administrators make up a small fraction of your school budget, but obviously, we probably have at least 2 times as many of them as is needed (some districts are way too small to need their own Supers) on LI. Getting rid of half of them might save the taxpayer a few bucks a year. As for their Salaries, I don't know..they are basically CEO's of small corporations, and usually have Doctorates in Ed...making 200K isn't outrageous for a position of that stature.

The stuff with all the lawyers getting paid 2 pensions and that jive..that's just flat out corruption and people should be going to jail for it.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You're right Karl. I mentioned bloated school administrations and so did you in this thread, but apparently somebody is more interested in attacking police officers first and thinks that is "small change."
I've addressed it in this and other threads. You need to accept that fact that cops on LI are way overpaid, regardless of who you may know or be related to or whatever cross you bare. Superintendents, considering what their responsibilities are, may be overpaid somewhat, but again, the school board determines what they will be paid. Push the school board to pay less. Should the superintendent of a school be paid as much as a beat cop? Because if you lower some of their salaries much, that's what you'd have..and most people who are supers in schools have been teachers or admins for decades.

Teachers may be somewhat overcompensated, but to compare their compensations to cops is inaccurate at best, and dishonest at the worst, which is what you can't seem to admit to, so I will keep pointing it out. Someone is very busy defending police officers, and probably has a bias that they aren't disclosing.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
If a budget fails and keeps failing, teachers will be laid off. If what you want is teachers to suffer, keep voting down the budget.
Getting away from the topic for a minute:

I am asking this because I am not sure how this works -- if a teacher is tenured, can they still be laid off in the face of budget cuts? How exactly does tenure protect the teacher?

Or would the lay off be something akin to offering an earlier retirement to eliminate the larger paychecks?

Trying to learn the ropes, not stir the pot.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Default How About a Whole New Round of Police to Attack?

Since some (one?) on this thread has it out for NCPD and SCPD, how about the municipalities on Long Island that have their own police force? Are these police officers overpaid and given 1950's style benefits to the detriment of the taxpayers in their areas? Does anybody who lives in a municipality with its own police force care to comment on whether they think their taxes are too high because of this?

Calling all those with municipal police medium and small in Suffolk (Amityville, East Hampton, Greenport, Head of the Harbor, Nissenquogue, Ocean Beach, Patchogue, Quogue, Riverhead, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, Southampton, Southold, and Westhampton) and Nassau (Glen Cove, Long Beach, Bayville, Centre Island, East Rockaway, Floral Park, Freeport, Garden City, Great Neck Estates, Hempstead, Kensington, Kings Point, Lake Success, Lynbrook, Malverne, Matinecock, Muttontown, New Hyde Park, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay Cove, Rockville Centre, and Sands Point)!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Screw "stature". Earn your pay and pull your weight.

I'll say this, my kid's middle school got a new principal last year. He was out there at 6:30 in the morning helping direct the traffic in the parkinglot, sometimes in the pouring rain, he's at every function, he either picks up the phone himself, or gets back to you immediately, he cares, he goes above and beyond what any other administrator in my school district would be willing to do. To the point where he has been confronted by other members of the faculty and adminstration to knock it off because he's making them look bad(ie:lazy).
Meanwhile, the Principal in the elementary school pulls up in her Lexus SUV, which is parked in her very own spot, gets out in her fancy wardrobe and jewelry, glides accross the parking lot like a fairytale princess with her nose up in the air like everyone elses' **** stinks and hers doesn't.
And doesn't do a damn thing all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island