Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 171,830 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to Huntington Station from Queens and I was trying to look at the school district. I just want to know what area covers school district 3 and 13, and which is one is better. Is it advisable to move a little bit north to Hungtington instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
OUCH! Depends who you ask- both districts "share the burden" of the Huntington station area. Each district has strengths & weaknesses. We could start a thread here that could become very heated, but, I do not think that will help you too much, & this is a very important decision. So, sinc eyou are in Queens, take a day off from work &
Visit both... seriously. Call up the office for an elementary school in each district (i'm assuming that is the age group of your kid(s), if not, check out the middle schools) & ask about a tour. Even if it is informal you can peek in the classrooms, look in the cafeteria, & see what's going on.
Before that, go to the district websites & look at the individual school sites- that may help you narrow down the schools of interest to you, & also will help you think of what to look for.
Good luck!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 AM

59 posts, read 284,413 times
Default Agreed

Dist 3 used to be the better, but I believe the gap has narrowed. You may want to inquire about test results. You will learn a lot just by being in the school, talking to an administrator, and looking around. Best wishes!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsider65 View Post
I plan to move to Huntington Station from Queens and I was trying to look at the school district. I just want to know what area covers school district 3 and 13, and which is one is better. Is it advisable to move a little bit north to Hungtington instead?
Well, I have an idea is to where the NYer was going with their statement about Huntington Station. I will remain positive & dignify your questions with the knowledge Ithat I have because i live here in Huntington Station for the past 3 years. I moved from Jamaica, Queens to leave "the hood" & raise my children without fear of bullets flying across our heads at the park or in our apartment, etc. I heard about the recent gang activity here in Huntington Station since being close to it only by hear say & local news. As a parent with children in the Huntington School District, it is great. https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...a_hi_front.jpg

My children are honor roll students, so I can't complain about the curriculm. The opportunities are endless in a non-poverty stricken area, with plenty of recreational activites available, as long as, you can afford the fees. Also, the Town of Huntington are on their p's & q's in reference to the uprising of a small bunch of people trying to bring this area down to their level. I said "trying" because we the parents signed a petition for a heavy police presence around the school keeping the bad element at bay, whomever they are & wherever they may be, they are not harming the children at school. The activity I believe happens at night & the only 1 incident that happened during the school hours was rectified and was why the petitions were signed. Also, the house where some of the violence I assumed occured is no longer being occupied.

[url=http://www.theschwartzreport.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15444]Gang Members Responsible For Shootings - Long Island Nassau Suffolk County New York Political Forum[/url]

Also, the district has concluded to move the 4th & 5th graders to other schools in the district & leave the 6th graders at Jack Abrams, making it a 6th grade center. Cool huh:-) I love being out here, no matter what the veterans of this town says about it. It's no city borough & will never become that. Just because a few of us are not of the 45 percentile tax bracket doesn't mean we are hoodlums. I hope I gave you what you wanted..the truth.

District 13 is South Huntington where I believe the gang activity is nonexistent.
[URL]http://www.shuntington.k12.ny.us/[/URL]
District 3 is Huntington, NY where the gang activity was prevalent. This does NOT affect the curriculm of the school. My children are apart of it & love their school. She enjoyed her beach trip at the end of the school year.(Her pic is on their website along with the class.) She will enjoy being at another school, as well, because her town cares about her & her peers & their safety.
[URL]http://hufsd.edu/[/URL]

The Huntington School District is the best on Long Island ...hands down.

[URL]http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/new-york/huntington/huntington-high-school/]Huntington[/URL] High School in Huntington, NY | Education.com[/url]
[URL]http://www.hufsd.edu/schools/jack_abrams/ja_index.html]Huntington[/URL] Public Schools - Jack Abrams Intermediate[/url]
[URL]https://www.city-data.com/school/Huntington-New-York.html[/URL][/URL]

Last edited by MahoganyZ; 07-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: grammar mistake & spacing

Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,645 times
Actually both districts "share" the lovely population that are the gangs. However, obviously, most gang members aren't going to school and don't bother the schools.
Huntington High School got a handle on the gangs a long time ago and share a police community liaison officer with South Huntington schools. They both know what is going on to the extent that anyone could know, and keep trouble out of the buildings.

The neighborhood around the Abrams School is troubling and I just read that Suffolk police will now have regular Friday and Saturday night patrols around the area, which is good. I don't believe the latest shooting was gang involved, it was from a graduation party in the neighborhood where some dispute boiled over.

I was pleased to also read that of the three guys arrested for bringing guns up from Florida, was from Huntington Station. So maybe his being gone now will help keep some of the guns out of the area.

People need to keep repeating the fact that all this trouble isn't either district's fault. Both districts have great curriculums, their students (the one's who care) graduate and go to college. We've had two generations go through Huntington and have loved it, with no problems.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM

156 posts, read 303,928 times
Huntington is a nicer, cleaner area than huntington station. They are close in distance but are completely different in many aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island