Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 AM

41 posts, read 116,923 times

Advertisements

Have a home in Connecticut for sale, wondering how home sales in LI are compared to Connecticut, fairfield county. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialifts View Post
Have a home in Connecticut for sale, wondering how home sales in LI are compared to Connecticut, fairfield county. Thanks
What exactly would you like to compare? Prices?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Default Home sales

Would you say home sales are , good, average, or poor overall?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
All real estate is local

Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,090 times
Homes are selling in Long Island. It depends what area you are looking at to know what kind of quality the homes are. What exactely are you asking?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM

85 posts, read 315,183 times
I've been askin around about housing prices, sell rate, and really reseaching on my quest to one day own my own small piece of america... Right now home sales are down, way down and people aren't getting anything close to what they able to get like a year ago or somethin... A year or 2 back homes were sky high on Long Island, now they are still very very high, but they are down quite a bit. I also heard that if you don't have like credit in the 700's at least, its very difficult for you to get a mortgage or loan... Now is defenatly a good time to buy if you can, just wish I had an extra $75,000 lyin around. But even with the down payment and the $300,000 mortagage, I"d be foreclosing rather quickly lol.....

Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
I've been askin around about housing prices, sell rate, and really reseaching on my quest to one day own my own small piece of america... Right now home sales are down, way down and people aren't getting anything close to what they able to get like a year ago or somethin... A year or 2 back homes were sky high on Long Island, now they are still very very high, but they are down quite a bit. I also heard that if you don't have like credit in the 700's at least, its very difficult for you to get a mortgage or loan... Now is defenatly a good time to buy if you can, just wish I had an extra $75,000 lyin around. But even with the down payment and the $300,000 mortagage, I"d be foreclosing rather quickly lol.....
Just to add some statistics here, in the Town of Huntington area there were a little over 2,100 homes on the market in August and only 149 closed. That is a lot of inventory. New homes continue to come on the market and as supply and demand always does, this brings the prices down. Of course the prices had increased way above historical norms. And yet there are buyers out there! They're just shopping a little longer and bargain more! Definitely a buyer's market...

As far as credit is concerned, if you qualify for an FHA mortgage, your credit score is not as important asa with a conventional mortgage, nor is the amount of the down payment; what is important, is your ability to make the payments on an ongoing basis. Underwriting of the loan(s) has tightened severely. The result? If you can't afford a home, you can't buy it. No more borrowing in anticipation of refinancing to "keep you going"...

Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Thank you ELKE MARIOTTI 2100 homes and 149 sold wowthats a big change.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
You may have seen some of my earlier posts discussing "absorbtion rate" which is an indication of how many homes are sold compared to how many are on the market. In Elke's example you have an absorbtion rate of .149 meaning that it would take 14.9 months to sell all of the available inventory. This is a very telling statistic to look at for any area.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM

231 posts, read 960,453 times
We went to 7 open houses yesterday. We only ran into one other couple at 1 house (the nicest one that we saw), and noticed very few names on the sign in sheets. One house we looked at just before the open house ended only had 3 names on the list. One realtor said it was slow because it was such a nice day out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island