Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 21,341,359 times

Advertisements

the double tax sounds a bit frightening.

Do you mean the village tax? It really is not that bad (well, not for my little place anyway). Your house would be worth about 30% more because of its village address.
People really do want to live in the village itself with all of its amenities.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,774,503 times
" ... (T)he double tax sounds a bit frightening."

There is no double tax of properties in a village.

Property in a village is shielded from many of the more onerous town special district property taxes, and there are numerous villages, with their own village police as well as other village services, that have lower property taxes than do nearby properties that are in an adjoining hamlet.

Towns do not like it when the higher assessed areas of the town incorporate as villages, as this property is now shielded from several of the more onerous town special district property taxes; and, ironically, the result is that these property taxes that are no longer being paid for property now in a village then need to be picked up by property in hamlets, resulting in property in hamlets seeing an increase in their town special district property taxes.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:54 PM

18 posts, read 54,221 times
Default Sounds wonderful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootnami View Post
Then Long ]Beach is the place for you. It's the only place I would even consider on Long Island. Beach, restaurants, LIRR (last stop), and you can ride your bike everywhere. Check it out.
LB sounds great! And I love that it's so close to the City. Does anyone on this thread live there who could give me the rundown on areas? How is crime in Long Beach?

I'll also have a look at Babylon and keep my eye on the other suggestions. I do like what I've seen in RP, but I worry about being far from Manhattan. I love the idea of being close.

Thank you again for your wonderful ideas.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 21,341,359 times
Aren't summers in Portland beautiful? (Not that they aren't here. though .)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 54,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Aren't summers in Portland beautiful? (Not that they aren't here. though .)
Yes. Summers in Portland are the best kept secret in America. Shh!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,221,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
the double tax sounds a bit frightening.

Do you mean the village tax? It really is not that bad (well, not for my little place anyway). Your house would be worth about 30% more because of its village address.
People really do want to live in the village itself with all of its amenities.

I wouldnt touch anything outside the village.

The unfortunate downside of Patchogue Villages recent gentrifiaction is that the periphery of Pat Med now looks like Corona .

Hats off to Pontieri all the same.
Its great to have Patchogue back.

Next step is to merge the Village with Blue Point Bayport SD

I'd be leary of sending my kid to Pat Med SD.

crookhaven

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 AM

13,545 posts, read 17,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I wouldnt touch anything outside the village.

The unfortunate downside of Patchogue Villages recent gentrifiaction is that the periphery of Pat Med now looks like Corona .

Hats off to Pontieri all the same.
Its great to have Patchogue back.

Next step is to merge the Village with Blue Point Bayport SD

I'd be leary of sending my kid to Pat Med SD.

crookhaven
Can they pull that off? Bayport/Bluepoint has a scary taxes, though. I plan on moving into a house the next year or so, and I don't even punch up Patch/Med on the MLS. Bayport Bluepoint, yes, but taxes are very high there.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,221,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Can they pull that off? Bayport/Bluepoint has a scary taxes, though. I plan on moving into a house the next year or so, and I don't even punch up Patch/Med on the MLS. Bayport Bluepoint, yes, but taxes are very high there.
You never know.

Could be a partnership of equals.

Patchogue (like Riverhead) wont get out of its own way if it's overrun with poverty in its district.

crookhaven

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM

153 posts, read 381,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You never know.

Could be a partnership of equals.

crookhaven

Just like the Daimler Chrysler parnership of equals?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,613,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Just like the Daimler Chrysler parnership of equals?
LOL, great comment! SO and I have owned stock in Daimler Chrysler for years. Of course now since the recent split it's now just "Daimler AG" .... a very wise move to shed the Chrysler albatross. But even Daimler's stock has taken a hit, it was $90+/share a few months ago and now it's at $58 .... close to its 52-week low.

If Pat/Med ever merged with Bayport/Blue Point, I bet there would be a lot of unhappy parent-homeowners on the Bayport side of the consolidation.

As for revitalized towns, look no further than Bay Shore which has been (and is still being) beautifully gentrified. Main Street is now populated with boutiques, professional offices, and a wide selection of really GOOD restaurants of all descriptions. There's the Boulton Performing Arts center; Victorian style street lamps hung with huge flowering baskets; and several lovely brick-paved courtyards with planting beds and garden benches between the rows of buildings. There are also lovely new apartments and condos going in (Greenview Properties is playing a huge part in the revitalization of Bay Shore, both in the downtown and surrounding areas). Friends of ours are planning on moving their fine-jewelry store from another town into one of the several new retail locations in Bay Shore, in fact, during the early part of 2009. The only part that still looks anything like the "old" Bay Shore is at the extreme eastern end, near the hospital, and even that is now undergoing serious renovation.

Give Bay Shore another 5 years and it will easily match both Babylon and Sayville for gentrified ambience, IMO (well, except for Argyle Lake of course )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island