Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,935,216 times

Advertisements

If you divide the Island in half everything's either north or south...

Tax wise, the difference seemed to be more than a bit--it was as much as a couple of K a year (comparing Merrick and Plainview). Great Neck was decidedly cheaper (but we'd be unlikely to find anything in the right price range there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 AM

248 posts, read 874,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
How can you be both on "the North shore" and be "in the middle of the island"? To be on the north shore, IMO your town needs alittle water front property....

If you say so..I know I am more north than south due to the proximity of the LIE and Northern State-being a native Queens girl, that to me says north-waterfront says north to you-it's fine either way.

PS. Thanks for the well wishes, Walter!!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,255 times
I guess technically if you were to draw a line halving Long Island, all areas would fall North or South, but Plainview would be much closer to the middle but slightly veering North of this line. The difference is the other neighborhoods mentioned have a clear determination as to where they fall, Merrick is South and Manhasett, Roslyn, etc. are North.

Also, as far as taxes, I am a bit confused as to the comment about Great Neck's taxes. From my experience, Great Neck has very high house prices and very high taxes to match. Whereas, Merrick or Plainview have decidedly less taxes.

I also agree about the demographics discussion, where all of the towns mentioned have a large Jewish presence, that is except for Manhasset. So, if that is a consideration, Manhasset may not be the way to go.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
How can you be both on "the North shore" and be "in the middle of the island"? To be on the north shore, IMO your town needs alittle water front property....

I've always wondered about that as well.

Central Island is more like it, especially if hovering about the LIE and NSP.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
We just moved to Plainview for a few reasons (none meant to offend anyone out there). One was because it was the North Shore, which just seems more accessible to us. Two was the price of house and property for our budget. Three was the school district. Four was the presence of Jewish life, which is important to us as we, too, came from Forest Hills and wanted young Jewish life for our future family. Fifth, this is a convenient place to live-you are literally in the middle of the Island and can go north, south, east, or west and it's not bad. Sixth..the town appears to have a lot to offer (with these taxes, they'd better!!) We are here almost 3 months..feel free to ask more questions if you want. Good luck in your search!

Good luck in your still relatively new home!

You've given a number of terrific reasons for moving to Plainview.

I haven't been to P'view in some time, but I recall an area of it closer to Woodbury which back when (late 80's) was far more north shore-ish than Plainview toward Old Country Rd and south -- where the rest of us goyim hung out.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 AM

if you take 2 identically priced houses, one in Great Neck and one in Plainview (or even a slightly cheaper one in Plainview) the GN house will have lower taxes. The reason many Great Neck houses have high taxes is that they're expensive. The actual rate is lower. Looking on MLS - houses around the $700K mark (all 3 bedrooms) have taxes from 6-9K in Great Neck (lot size is the big variable). In Plainview, you pay $12K easily. Merrick is closer to $10K.

This is because Great Neck has a very strong commercial tax base and some very expensive homes.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM

22,216 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Tax wise, the difference seemed to be more than a bit--it was as much as a couple of K a year (comparing Merrick and Plainview). Great Neck was decidedly cheaper (but we'd be unlikely to find anything in the right price range there).
I'll take at it again tonight when I have more time to compare the differences, but from what I glanced at last night it seemed like the differenc between the two on a $600,000 home was a few hundred, not a couple thousand.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM

22,216 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanis View Post
I guess technically if you were to draw a line halving Long Island, all areas would fall North or South, but Plainview would be much closer to the middle but slightly veering North of this line. The difference is the other neighborhoods mentioned have a clear determination as to where they fall, Merrick is South and Manhasett, Roslyn, etc. are North.

Also, as far as taxes, I am a bit confused as to the comment about Great Neck's taxes. From my experience, Great Neck has very high house prices and very high taxes to match. Whereas, Merrick or Plainview have decidedly less taxes.

I also agree about the demographics discussion, where all of the towns mentioned have a large Jewish presence, that is except for Manhasset. So, if that is a consideration, Manhasset may not be the way to go.

As far as the tax discussion goes, it was based off a similar priced home. A home that is $1.1 million is going to have higher taxes than a home that is worth $550,000, but a similar priced home will be cheaper in Great Neck than it will be in Plainviw, Merrick, etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Well, I'm only looking on MLS, but all the houses in Plainview from 500-600K (Plainview-Old Bethpage schools) are over $10K with most in $11-$12K. Merrick is 8-12, with the average closer to 10--and almost all the 12k ones have oversized lots (bigger than 60x100).

I'm not knocking Plainview at all as it would have some real advantages for us (disadvantage being it's a little further out than we'd like, but one must compromise somewhere). Just that Town of Oyster Bay taxes are steep, and it effectively means that we can afford less house in Plainview than we could in Merrick because of the additional taxes.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,558,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

I have always divided the island into 3 parts: south shore, middle of the island (landlock) and north shore. I guess I take the word "shore" as its real meaning (adjoining a body of water). I never heard anyone call Levittown or Bethpage....south shore.

I guess its how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island