Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
our home has dropped in value to $550,000 from $975,000 two and a half years ago. We are so out of here.
That sounds like a drop of California proportions. What were you basing the worth of $975,000 two years ago on? Did you buy the house for $975,000 two and a half years ago? Did someone seriously offer you $975,000 to buy it two and a half years ago? Did a bank appraise it at $975,000 and give you a HELOC for that amount two and a half years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
West Pittston is a great town! Small and laid back...like how most of LI used to be. You will find the schools to be just fine, with a strong tight knit family feel.
If I were you I would pick one of these homes on one of these beautifully tree lined streets. Most were built in early 1900 but the arch't detail is amazing!
Good luck!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We are living in Stony Brook and are moving very soon. Prices are ridiculous and even homes for 200 to 250 are crazy. We are moving to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area in Pa. You can get a beautiful 5-7 bedroom 1920's Victorian home with over 3,500 Sf for that price. In the area near Wilkes Barre called West Pittston, you can get a real mansion for those prices. We have $18,000 taxes and our home has dropped in value to $550,000 from $975,000 two and a half years ago. We are so out of here.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Be wary of that area however...a lot of the Wyoming Valley is a rough ride. My dad lived in W. Pittston and now lives in Pringle. You can get a heck of a house...I agree. Lots of fantastic Victorians. However if you have kids...the schools are terrible and there is a LOT of petty theft and robberies. It is also a big drug trafficking area. I know I know you can say this about a lot of areas...but its is particularly bad in Wilkes Barre. Also avoid the low-lying areas like the plague...the Sesquehanna River likes to flood.

However I do know some nicer areas are a little further north like Carbondale.

One suggestion might be to look a little further east in Allentown or some of the smaller towns like Stroudsburg.

Best of luck looking...just make sure the grass is in fact greener.
Glad someone with family in that area chimed in. That's why it's so cheap. There's always a reason.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM

No. The reason why its cheap is b/c there are no unions, police officers dont make 100k+ a year, teachers pensions are not ridiculous, admin. do not make 250K, etc. You can actually live there on $50,000 a year w/ a family. And with no mortgage $50,000 would be heaven!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
No. The reason why its cheap is b/c there are no unions, police officers dont make 100k+ a year, teachers pensions are not ridiculous, admin. do not make 250K, etc. You can actually live there on $50,000 a year w/ a family. And with no mortgage $50,000 would be heaven!
I agree with you...our excessive waste is driving young people westward (brooklyn mostly) in search an affordable place to start out, access to better paying jobs, and culture.

However we have family in Carbondale. I think you will be sorely mistaken and bored stupid.

I cant think of a better time to lay claim to an LI starter.

It aint perfect, just superior to most of whats out there within 90 miles of NYC.

crooks

Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,514,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I agree with you...our excessive waste is driving young people westward (brooklyn mostly) in search an affordable place to start out, access to better paying jobs, and culture.

However we have family in Carbondale. I think you will be sorely mistaken and bored stupid.

It aint perfect, just superior to most of whats out there within 90 miles of NYC.

crooks
It's not even that Brooklyn is so much cheaper, it's just that most people perceive getting a lot more for their money....and there are a lot more rentals that are 20-something friendly. It sounds crazy, but most people I know would take Bushwick over Bayport any day.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It's not even that Brooklyn is so much cheaper, it's just that most people perceive getting a lot more for their money....and there are a lot more rentals that are 20-something friendly. It sounds crazy, but most people I know would take Bushwick over Bayport any day.
Me too

Its cheap when you dont need a car.

Suozzi is right with his "Cool Downtowns" initiative.

I hope Brookhaven wakes up someday too.
It needs high speed rail from 112 and beefed up pedestrain/bus infrastructure if it wants to stop the brain drain.

Long Island really needs to ditch its Car Culture past.

crooks

Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,514,085 times
Quote:
Me too

Its cheap when you dont need a car.

Suozzi is right with his "Cool Downtowns" initiative.

I hope Brookhaven wakes up someday too.
It needs high speed rail from 112 and beefed up pedestrain/bus infrastructure if it wants to stop the brain drain.

Long Island really needs to ditch its Car Culture past.

crooks
Automobile will likely always be the primary mode of transportation on LI...doesn't mean we can't have both. I'm 100% with Suozzi, unfortunately I think he's too ahead of his time. He needs to wait 15 years or so until a fair share of the NIMBYs die off and brown Brooklyn/Queens residents used to such an infrastructure take their place.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Automobile will likely always be the primary mode of transportation on LI...doesn't mean we can't have both. I'm 100% with Suozzi, unfortunately I think he's too ahead of his time. He needs to wait 15 years or so until a fair share of the NIMBYs die off and brown Brooklyn/Queens residents used to such an infrastructure take their place.

Agreed.

Sad but true.

Nassau Needs to wake up to the fact that its almost Queens.
Suffolk needs to wake up to the fact that its almost Nassau.

Neither has the infrastructure or public transportation to support the density.

They both need to look to Westchester as a successful model for density.

crooks

Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Wouldnt be bored at all Crooks. Was born and raised in rural Pa. I have many outdoor hobbies to keep me busy...fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, to name a few. If you dont like outdoor activites I would say you might get bored. But what do you do here that you cant do there? I go into NYC about once a year. So everything else I do here I could do there!

Quote:

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island