Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 AM

45 posts, read 175,246 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to get my first New York library card. Which library serves Ronkonkoma? Are there exceptional libraries I should check out nearby, one with good services for kids or a great video/DVD selection?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
Default Try the Sachem libary on Holbrook Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfirefly View Post
Hi,

I want to get my first New York library card. Which library serves Ronkonkoma? Are there exceptional libraries I should check out nearby, one with good services for kids or a great video/DVD selection?

Thank you!
Sachem Public on Holbrook Rd. between the expressway and Portion (16). It is right across from Nokomis elementary and about 8-ish years ago they overhauled the entire thing and built a tremendous children's section. Excellent resource.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Here is a link to a directory of all public libraries in Suffolk County:

SuffolkWeb - Suffolk County Public Libraries

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Ronkonkoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfirefly View Post

Just as with school districts, there are multiple library districts, and you are a resident of the library district to which you pay a property tax.

Upon proof of residency, your library district will issue you a library card that can be used, with certain restrictions, at other libraries that are in other library districts (usually they will not allow non-residents to take out videos/DVDs).

According to my maps, residents of the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma are in the Connetquot Public Library district:

Connetquot Public Library
760 Ocean Avenue
Bohemia, NY 11716

Tel: 631/567-5079
Fax: 631/???-????

eMail:
Ask a Reference Question (broken link)

Connetquot Public Library

For those who may not be familiar with Ronkonkoma:

Ronkonkoma is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Islip, in the west part of Suffolk County, along the Islip/Smithtown and the Islip/Brookhaven town lines.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip is bordered on the north by Lake Ronkonkoma, the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Towns of Smithtown and Brookhaven (the Islip/Smithtown and the Islip/Brookhaven town lines); on the east by the Hamlet of Holbrook; on the south by the Hamlet of Bohemia; and, on the west by the Village of the Islandia and the Hamlet of Hauppauge.

The Hamlet of Ronkonkoma has a different border than does the "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and a place can have other than a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma): places that have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma are in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Towns of Smithtown and Brookhaven and in the Hamlet of Bohemia; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma with a "Central Islip, NY 11722" and a "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island