Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM

41 posts, read 140,377 times

Advertisements

I am looking at some homes in the Holbrook/Holtsville area (North of the LIE near Waverly Avenue and Patchogue-Holbrook raod, all in the Sachem school district) The prices have dropped into my comfort zone, and the area seems pretty nice. Am I missing something? How is the overall area? How is the shopping, parks, nightlife,restaurants? Anywhere in that area to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Holtsville/Holbrook is a nice area. Its very surburban but nice. I cant think of any bad areas. Sachem is good overall ; huge, but ok. I hear the special ed isnt great.

d

Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM

39 posts, read 142,567 times
I grew up in Holbrook its nice - that area offers alot in shopping and access to highways...

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Holbrook

For those who may not be familiar with Holbrook:

Holbrook is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the east section of the Town of Islip and partly in the west section of the Town of Brookhaven, just a bit west of the central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Holbrook partly in the Town of Islip and partly in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma, the Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Holtsville in the Town of Brookhaven; on the east by the Hamlet of Holtsville in the Town of Islip and the Hamlet of North Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven; on the south by the Hamlet of Bayport and the Hamlet of Sayville in the Town of Islip; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Bohemia, the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip.

The Hamlet of Holbrook has a different border than does the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Holbrook and a place can have other than a "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Holbrook): places that have a "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Holbrook are in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma, the Hamlet of Holtsville and the Hamlet of North Patchogue; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Holbrook with a "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Holtsville

For those who may not be familiar with Holtsville:

Holtsville is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the northeast part of the Town of Islip and partly in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Holtsville in the Towns of Islip and Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Farmingville in the Town of Brookhaven; on the east by the Hamlet of Farmingville and the Hamlet of Medford in the Town of Brookhaven; on the south by the Hamlet of North Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven and the Hamlet of Holbrook in the Town of Islip; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Holbrook in the Towns of Islip and Brookhaven.

The Hamlet of Holtsville has a different border than does the "Holtsville, NY 11742" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Holtsville and a place can have other than a "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Holtsville): places that have a "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Holtsville are in the Hamlet of North Patchogue and the Hamlet of Medford; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Holtsville that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" and "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 06-06-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
I rented my first apartment on Hopes Avenue. The area was nice, but not enough for me at the time. I was a college student at Stony Brook and really liked the nightlife by the university. I hear Sachem schools are very good. Big SD, but a good reputation.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
One of my HS friends lives in Holbrook and he loves it.

My only concern with the Waverly - Patch/Hol Rd location would be flight path noise from Islip - MacArthur. I worked in Bohemia on Locust and the take offs were intense when they shifted the take off and landing directions.

I would suggest hanging out in the area outside for a few hours. It might not be time you have right now, but better to know now then find out too late.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 AM

41 posts, read 140,377 times
Good Idea Beehave.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
My family has lived on Geery Ave on the north side of the LIE for years! I'm talking since before the LIE was even out here!!
They've loved where they live then, and still do now. Neighbors are friendly, house are generally well maintained, no hoodlums all over the place, just a nice quiet place where kids play in the streets.

We dont hear any noise from the airport. We see planes fly low but not low enough to hear them.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Holbrook is nice, I grew up there too. Whenever I come back to visit I drive though (on my way to Mama Lomardi's!) and it never seems to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island