Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2023, 10:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Aren’t these questions one should have answers to before putting in offers!
Srsly.

It's a fine area. You've no doubt overpaid, but it will be fine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 08:13 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
Great neighborhood. Good people and schools. East of Merrick Avenue is held in a bit higher regard as well

Old 07-25-2023, 03:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
North Merrick is fine. Good schools, close to the LIRR station, good shopping plus you don't have the "keeping up with the Jones" attitude of South Merrick.

Just be sure to "grieve" your real estate axes every year or they'll creep up on you.
You grieve your assessment. The tax rate remains the same.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:19 AM

427 posts, read 153,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Just about every large city is run by democrats, regardless of red/blue state. So yes, I agree. I also agree the country will be a total disaster within 2 generations. As a 51yr old, I know I've seen the best years of America behind me. I'm content with that.

As for NYC and crime rates, it's garbage. I spent 25 years in corporate America using "numbers" and percents to spin positive stories knowing in reality it's a smoke screen. Nobody who has traveled this country, as I have, really believes NYC and it's surrounding area is anything but a top 10 dangerous city. I don't care what the contrived BS #'s law enforcement puts forth to the public. They are nonsense. And what makes NYC the most dangerous, imo, is it's density and over population and the lack of space. Sure, in a city of 10M or whatever the number is, your percent of being a crime vicitim seems small...but we all know the high randomness of it happening is more than just about any other city in American, including LA and Chicago. Both cities which I recently spent time in and drove around every inch and felt a lot safer vs. NYC.
I haven't been to Chicago since the early 90s so I can't speak to what it's like now, but their weekly shooting numbers put NYC to shame. Granted, this is mostly gang/drug related crime, but it does eventually spill over. Seeing the same sort of criminal-on-citizen videos coming out of there as most other major cities. I have been to LA in the last few years and that place is a disaster, barring the very ritzy areas. Did not feel safe walking around and the homeless population is completely out of control with massive tent cities on major streets. SF is even worse I hear. Cities like Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, Camden, etc. have long since become uninhabitable for regular folks.

What you're probably getting at however is that crime in NYC during the bad times of the 80's/early 90s was mostly inner city gang/drug crime, and not random violence on the streets/subways against regular people. A lot of this does go unreported to the police, who won't do anything about it anyway, or they'll play down the circumstances since the entire department is under pressure to hide the numbers. So you're right in that the stats aren't fully believable. None the less, it does stand that NYC is less dangerous than most other major cities, and it's getting worse, not better.

With these factors in mind, I don't know if I'd agree that Long Island is any better or worse to put down roots than the suburbs of most other major cities. Certainly it wouldn't be my first choice, but it's far from the last.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:10 PM

184 posts, read 227,679 times
One of the best south Nassau towns there is

Old 07-30-2023, 05:27 PM

293 posts, read 88,840 times
Merrick is 95%+ Asian and white. That's all you need to know. The higher the percentage of white + Asian, the better the neighborhood in NY (especially in NYC, LI, and Westchester). This is a generalization but it holds true in the vast majority of cases. That's just a fact of life in NY state.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:30 PM

293 posts, read 88,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Srsly.

It's a fine area. You've no doubt overpaid, but it will be fine.
Overpaid in what sense? It's probably the best town not on the North Shore in Nassau.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:49 AM

16 posts, read 43,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
Merrick is 95%+ Asian and white. That's all you need to know. The higher the percentage of white + Asian, the better the neighborhood.
And that's the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island