Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,979 times

Advertisements

Hello- my husband and I are considering putting an offer on a home in Rockville Centre. The only doubts we have is that it borders N. Baldwin, around south side Hs area is this something that should deter us from placing an offer? Is N. Baldwin a good neighborhood? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 06:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMunn1 View Post
Hello- my husband and I are considering putting an offer on a home in Rockville Centre. The only doubts we have is that it borders N. Baldwin, around south side Hs area is this something that should deter us from placing an offer? Is N. Baldwin a good neighborhood? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
A good barometer to consider. If this house were located in a different part of RVC, that you would not be questioning it, would it be priced higher and if so how much more in your mind. Since you most probably have seen similar homes, this should be a clue. Obviously the area is not terrible, but it really depends upon what your level of comfort is. I lived in RVC for 3 years but it was 30 years ago so things change.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:28 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
That area is fine, generally speaking.
Like most of south shore Nassau, property crimes are up, so just keep your stuff locked up.
It’s common sense these days. But if the home ticks all your boxes go for it.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:18 AM

450 posts, read 385,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That area is fine, generally speaking.
Like most of south shore Nassau, property crimes are up, so just keep your stuff locked up.
It’s common sense these days. But if the home ticks all your boxes go for it.
What are people doing these days, buying safes? Using bank safe deposit boxes? I guess theft would be mostly jewelry and cash these days since they won't haul 85" TVs or laptops they can't unlock or cellphones that can be traced. Also I suppose you want to have cameras, maybe start with doorbell cam, expand from there, perhaps basic alarm system as deterrent at least when you are not home, if the door/window/etc opens, there will be alert. These days pro monitoring is pretty affordable, something like $120-$150/year with most companies.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Even in an area that is crime free (if such an area exists) everyone should have a safe. If you own a home, the deed should go in there, wills or trusts, passports, jewelry, birth certificates, insurance policies, passwords, SS card - just to name a few. Now, at the very least everyone should have a fireproof strong box to keep important documents. If you have ever lost your drivers license you know what a pain it is to replace.

While a small home sized safe can be carried and removed you can bolt them to the floor. The bottom line is you are trying to keep important documents from harm and if your home is burglarized a safe will make it more time consuming to get at the "good stuff".

You can buy a small strong box for about $35 and up. We have bought a few for housewarming gifts for family members who are just starting out.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:59 PM

450 posts, read 385,728 times
nuts2uiam, Funny, as I read your post I ran into a deal at BJs for a safe that's like a bank size. I realized how massive it is and how impossible it would be to move it. So maybe I will take your suggestion and get one that's big enough that it's not easy to remove, but small enough that I can bring it inside and maybe keep it by garage's storage room or somewhere like that, so it needs to bolted down. I think one thing I would worry is forgetting the combination or losing the key. They make digital ones but I don't know if they will still function after a fire etc. Also some of these safes don't seem fire-proof, except the small document type ones. I guess you would need to put them inside the safe and get another fire-proof box in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island