Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 03:12 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The big difference here is in this theoretical world of banned gas appliances many could be forced (yes forced) by the government to pay thousands of dollars to upgrade their electrical service and wiring because the government is forcing them over climate nonsense. This isn’t a case of “oh my appliance broke so I will just go to Home Depot and get another one”. It’s “my appliance broke and now I can’t buy a simple replacement, I don’t have 200 amp service nor wiring so I have spend 1000s to buy and hook up replacement I could have gotten for a fraction of if gas stoves were legal”. That’s a huge difference from an appliance breaking down and straight up replacing it.

Also lol 64% yes 64% of homeowners in the US live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings. That’s reality. A forced expense like that could be devastating to countless people.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I have gas. I bought the house like that. I'm all for banning natural gas products knowing what the consequences of having them are. I'll replace my technology at the end of its life.
As opposed to many here on this thread, I will support any efforts to curve climate change effects.
Those who are resisting the switch to electric will make it harder for me to be able to afford the replacement of the old tech for the new one.
Same with electric cars. I can't afford a tesla right now...
so a product that has been used for 100s of years is not safe anymore... SMH.

lets go back to colonial times and have fireplaces and fires burning all day.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:57 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
So a product that has been used for 100s of years is not safe anymore... SMH.

Let's go back to colonial times and have fireplaces and fires burning all day.
.........and horses and buggies to get around; beating our dirty clothes clean, down at the riverbank; sending mail by carrier pigeon; growing our own food in our backyards; etc, etc.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:14 AM

983 posts, read 725,513 times
The selfishness of people...I cannot understand.

All the data from NASA is indicating that the world will be a worse place than today because of the use of fossil fuels and methane, unless we stop using them. Yet, many people don't care because they prioritize their own enjoyment over the place we're leaving to our children. How can that be?

Old 01-17-2023, 07:54 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
.........and horses and buggies to get around; beating our dirty clothes clean, down at the riverbank; sending mail by carrier pigeon; growing our own food in our backyards; etc, etc.
The Amish still use horses and buggies.

Quote:

All the data from NASA is indicating that the world will be a worse place than today because of the use of fossil fuels and methane, unless we stop using them. Yet, many people don't care because they prioritize their own enjoyment over the place we're leaving to our children. How can that be?
This has been discussed.

At length.

First, people are not sold on the science.

"How can you say that!?"

Because fifteen years ago, environmentalists were making a vociferous push for municipalities to migrate from diesel to "clean, efficient, natural gas" powered buses; has the science changed in 15 years? Everyone was sold on the virtues of natural gas, and overnight it's being vilified.

Moreover, this is not: "I have a vehicle which runs leaded gas, yet it's no longer available, so I will fill it with unleaded;" this is not: "I will spend the $150 bucks to convert to R134A;" the conversion from a gas stove to an electric stove costs thousands of dollars - as you well know, because you haven't yet migrated to an electric stove.

I once had a friend who was a vegetarian, and I respected, and even entertained, his choices. Up until the point at which he showed me a new pair of sneakers that he had bought: they were leather.

Last edited by NDL; 01-17-2023 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:

What is making the electricity??? FOSSIL FUELS!!! Stop being an ignorant on that.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:30 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:

Seems to me, that until a VIABLE alternative is derived, NOT some "pie in the sky" invention that MIGHT fulfill our needs, then yes, we will continue on as we have, for the last 150-200 years.

Let's be realistic, since the very first man found himself deposited in a cold climate, he has sought to provide warmth and food for himself. And we simply built upon that theory ever since. Are you willing to revert to the stone age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Yes, they do, AND they also build barns using nothing but hand tools......and that's why it takes them several weeks, and 20-25 men to accomplish it.

Do you propose we go back to that?

Quote:
What is making the electricity??? FOSSIL FUELS!!! Stop being an ignorant on that.
That's partially true. There are some areas that have the natural resource to generate electric power with a hydro-electric dam. Unfortunately, there aren't enough rivers to do it for the entire country.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

This has been discussed.

At length.

First, people are not sold on the science.

"How can you say that!?"

Because fifteen years ago, environmentalists were making a vociferous push for municipalities to migrate from diesel to "clean, efficient, natural gas" powered buses; has the science changed in 15 years? Everyone was sold on the virtues of natural gas, and overnight it's being vilified.

Moreover, this is not: "I have a vehicle which runs leaded gas, yet it's no longer available, so I will fill it with unleaded;" this is not: "I will spend the $150 bucks to convert to R134A;" the conversion from a gas stove to an electric stove costs thousands of dollars - as you well know, because you haven't yet migrated to an electric stove.

I once had a friend who was a vegetarian, and I respected, and even entertained, his choices. Up until the point at which he showed me a new pair of sneakers that he had bought: they were leather.
Verry narrow-minded.

There's an expression to describe the way you think: "The one who gets burned with milk sees a cow and cries"

Old 01-17-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Are you willing to revert to the stone age?
How is changing to all electric going back to the stone age?

Old 01-17-2023, 08:54 AM

"
What is making the electricity??? FOSSIL FUELS!!! Stop being an ignorant on that."

First of all, this isn't true.
https://www.nyiso.com/-/fuel-for-the...er-trends-2020

Second, the sources are rapidly changing to renewables.

"We are in the midst of the largest improvements to transmission in a generation. Two pending projects, one in Western New York and one stretching from Central New York to the Hudson Valley, will significantly increase our ability to deliver clean energy from where it’s produced to where it is needed most. These projects are expected to be in service by 2022 and 2023 respectively, increasing power flows from upstate to downstate by roughly 1,000 MW."

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Progr...-Wind-Projects

Who's the ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island