Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:31 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Harbor freight sells cheap air compressors. Get one and do it yourself.

Nevermind, I rescind this statement. Out of curiosity, I just checked Harbor freight website and air compressors are like double the price from when I bought mine a few years back.

Thanks Joe Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 07:55 AM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,784,010 times
Everyone has given good advice. I live on LI also, and blow-out my own sprinklers also.

I am using this to connect the compressor to my water line:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPLKK6G...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And I am using a pancake compressor. The downside to larger compressors is that it takes a bit longer (usually I do 3 rounds per zone, having the compressor re-pressurize between rounds):

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...=AUEUXQQV6YS3R

Compressors are great. I use them a lot to inflate bicycle and car tires also.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:58 AM

exm, I too have a little pancake compressor. However, I bought an 11 gallon expansion tank that I hook up to my little pancake to increase the capacity when blowing out my sprinklers.

The best use of my air compressor is changing golf club grips- makes it super easy and cheap to do.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:25 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Nevermind, I rescind this statement. Out of curiosity, I just checked Harbor freight website and air compressors are like double the price from when I bought mine a few years back.

Thanks Joe Biden.
Wow $70 for 3 gallon 1/3hp I’ve had mine from HF (central pneumatic) for 6-7 years it was $20 with a super coupon!

Old 10-11-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Wow $70 for 3 gallon 1/3hp I’ve had mine from HF (central pneumatic) for 6-7 years it was $20 with a super coupon!

Yeah, thats how much I paid for mine too a few years back, it was dirt cheap.

Lets Go Brandon.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:08 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
You need a decent compressor to blow out the lines properly, not one of those Mickey Mouse models.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You need a decent compressor to blow out the lines properly, not one of those Mickey Mouse models.
Yeah I agree. My brother in law has the same setup and we tried blowing out his sprinklers with a 21 gallon harbor freight compressor. That took several hours to do as you had to keep refilling the tank after each zone. A few zones required multiple refills in order to get all the water out. You're going to need a 29 gallon tank at least to tackle 5 zones.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:04 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Yeah I agree. My brother in law has the same setup and we tried blowing out his sprinklers with a 21 gallon harbor freight compressor. That took several hours to do as you had to keep refilling the tank after each zone. A few zones required multiple refills in order to get all the water out. You're going to need a 29 gallon tank at least to tackle 5 zones.
If the pressure isn’t enough to raise the heads up, then you’re taking a gamble. There should be enough pressure to raise the heads at a minimum 3/4 of the way up, @3 minute’s per zone. And the heads, whatever, if you lose a few over the winter so what, they’re normally a cheap and easy fix…but…if you don’t evacuate enough water out of the main manifold/valves, that can be a horror show to repair. And valves, followed by any fittings, are far more prone to breakage from ice than the heads or pipe.

Yeah yeah I know some people use a pancake nailer compressor every year with “no problems”, blah blah blah.
You got lucky.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:25 PM

36 posts, read 23,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Looks like a separate curb stop just for sprinklers.
Screw the cap off, put the key in and turn it off.
Open the spigot next to it. There should be no water coming out.
Then just go inside and make sure you actually didn’t shut off the house water.
If that all checks out, you can begin blowing out the system.
Hook your air to that spigot.
You can blow the zones manually with the bleeder screws in the valves, or you can run a shortened cycle with the clock, 3 minutes per zone should do it.
I follow your direction and successfully blow out the water from all 5 zones.
I didn't have the key, but I got lucky since the water district guy drove by and he let me borrow the key to shut it off ( I‘m going to order one from here https://www.newconcepttools.com/prod...hole-on-handle)

the whole reason I decided to do it my self, because every year I paid $100 to have them blow it out, but every year in spring, I ended up paying another 200 to 300 to fix the broken head and pipes. I'm done with it I'll do it my self this year and let see how it goes.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM

36 posts, read 23,367 times
for those who also wonder why your sprinkler pipe cracks every year after you winterize your sprinkler.

that's because those pipes are rated for maximum of 40PSI. if your sprinkler guy pump up to the maximum PSI in hundreds you going to have your pipe crack every year! I bet they do this on purpose to make blow out faster and free repair money every year when they return! make sure you pay attention their PSI meter ask him to keep it down below 50PSI!

https://www.vmacair.com/blog/air-com...winterization/

Last edited by flexjin; 10-11-2022 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island