Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 06:35 AM

37 posts, read 26,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I need some clarification on taxes on Long Island, specifically Town of Hempstead. We bought our house towards the end of last year. I did not include the taxes on the mortgage payment and opted to paying them separately on my own. Since our purchase almost 7-8 months now I have not received any tax paperwork, tax bills or anything stating the amount of property taxes we have to pay. Should I be worried? Call someone or visit the town website and see what type of payments are pending for my property? Any other way to check these stiff without creating accounts online? I'm mostly just curious as to why we haven't received it but also I don't want to get any surprises from whatever agency about not paying property taxes.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 06:52 AM

13,070 posts, read 18,289,659 times
I would call both the town and county. Are you certain that no taxes were part of your settlement nor included in your mortgage?

Generally taxes are due 4 times per year. Twice for school and Twice for general.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:35 AM

1,213 posts, read 574,414 times
Are you SURE the mortgage company isn’t paying them?
Many are not to keen on trusting the buyer to protect their investment.
Even if you signed something saying you will handle tax payments, they might have pulled an override and not notified you. May not be the case but maybe worth a quick looksy to be sure.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:28 AM

I'm sure they are not paying it, my mortgage statement doesn't show anything about taxes and my payment has been the same since the closing.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:31 AM

551 posts, read 1,583,194 times
You do not need to register, and can view your account here. https://hempstead.egovpayments.com/e...earch&itemid=1

But the penalties and interest for not paying on time are draconian. You do not want to let this lie.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:09 AM

2,697 posts, read 2,364,926 times
FYI you are responsible to pay your taxes even if you don’t get a bill. So if they are over due you will get late fees and interest. At closing you where def current.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
You do not need to register, and can view your account here. https://hempstead.egovpayments.com/e...earch&itemid=1

But the penalties and interest for not paying on time are draconian. You do not want to let this lie.
thanks for that. I was able to find my property. Looking at the info, it looks like the taxes are not paid and I'm late by 4 months. However, the bill states that the outstanding balance for the 1st and 2nd half are $3,383.92 which was due on 2/10/2022. If I pay this now, how do I know they will not assess me any penalties or late fees? The statement doesn't include the info, so should I assume that if I pay it now I wont be penalized?

Old 06-21-2022, 12:55 PM

13,070 posts, read 18,289,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasForce View Post
thanks for that. I was able to find my property. Looking at the info, it looks like the taxes are not paid and I'm late by 4 months. However, the bill states that the outstanding balance for the 1st and 2nd half are $3,383.92 which was due on 2/10/2022. If I pay this now, how do I know they will not assess me any penalties or late fees? The statement doesn't include the info, so should I assume that if I pay it now I wont be penalized?
Assume nothing. IF you are past due you will own the penalties. See schedule below

https://hempsteadny.gov/381/Tax-Payment-Schedule

Old 06-21-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Assume nothing. IF you are past due you will own the penalties. See schedule below

https://hempsteadny.gov/381/Tax-Payment-Schedule
The site only shows the General taxes, where are the school taxes? Is that a separate bill/statement?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:01 PM

So I looked again on the site and creates an account. All documents that are shown have the previous owner's name on the tax bills, I remember they had used the mail forwarding service the Post office offers so this might be a reason why I never got the documents and still do not get them. I will go to the town tax office this Friday and clarify the situations and pay for any outstanding balances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island